Weird manual vacuum problem

frankthatank

Jul 22, 2020
Carolinas
New pool owner, but getting comfortable with it quickly. I plan on getting a better vacuum, but for now I'm using the manual one that my pool installer gave me. Just a long host that connects up to my skimmer and into my vacuum head.

I have a saltwater pool, about 32x14, with all Jandy equipment and a 1.65 vs pump. Additionally, I have 2 main drains in the deeper end and 1 skimmer that feeds into a diverter that lets me control between skimmer or main drains or both if kept in the middle. Keeping it in the middle obviously reduces the pressure and moving it towards either the main drains or skimmer only increases the pressure.

I've vacuumed the pool a handful of times with no issues at all. I have always set the diverter to skimmer only to increase the vacuum pressure when sweeping out my pool... until this morning.

I vacuumed last night same as always and then this morning, had a strange issue where my pump would loose all pressure and prime a few seconds after connecting my hose.

Round 1: I checked all the obvious things, pump lid, cleaned out the basket and even ended up draining the pump completely and picking out the fine sediment that got underneath the basket. Started it up again, got everything back to normal operating pressure, connected the hose, lost all suction.

Round 2: Checked the hose, flushed it out, connected my shop vac to it and sucked it out and got full suction at the other end and verified nothing inside the hose. Checked the skimmer pressure without the hose and it practically pulled my arm in, connected up the hose again, nada.

My 3rd attempt partially worked, keeping the diverter set to the middle allowed my pump to keep prime and maintain an "adequate" amount of pressure to the vacuum, so I went ahead and swept it out with the reduced suction power. Just for kicks, when I was all finished I went ahead and set it back to skimmer only and it drained the pump again in seconds.

At this point, I pretty much verified that all my pool equipment works, skimmer, and main drains are fine and even the hose is fine when using the main drains in addition to the skimmer to help keep the pressure up, but whenever going all skimmer, I lose everything. Every other time I've vacuumed until this morning I've had this set to all skimmer and it has worked fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Frank

Welcome to TFP.

What type of filter do you have?

What is your clean filter pressure?

What is your filter pressure now?

My guess is youe ither have a dirty filter or a a clogged impeller.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Welcome to TFP.

What type of filter do you have?

What is your clean filter pressure?

What is your filter pressure now?

My guess is youe ither have a dirty filter or a a clogged impeller.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Hi and thanks for the reply!

It's a cartridge filter. So that is a great question about the pressure. I believe I have a faulty gauge. My pool installer will be fixing this before all is said and done, but currently can't use this as an indicator. Pump and filter have been running for a couple of months now.

Taking your suggestions I'll hose off the cartridges and clean out the impeller to see if this improves anything.

As a follow up for you, if it was one of these things, wouldn't I notice a lack of pressure from the returns or maybe the pump basket at a lower water level than normal? Some other indicator other than the pressure gauge? Because all of that seems as normal as it was when it was first turned on.

In the meantime I'll do those things and follow up. Thanks again.

As a follow up for you, if it was one of these things, wouldn't I notice a lack of pressure from the returns

You may or you may not. Depends how well your hand is calibrated as a pressure gauge.

or maybe the pump basket at a lower water level than normal?

Filter pressure makes no difference in pump water level until you have a big problem.

Some other indicator other than the pressure gauge? Because all of that seems as normal as it was when it was first turned on.

That's why you have a pressure gauge. It is the most sensitive early warning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.