Can I install a manual vacuum head?

Don Foley

Aug 24, 2023
Avondale, AZ
My pool has a debris problem. It is equipped with a Caretaker 99 in floor cleaning system and a leaf trapper system. This is where the problem lies. This system uses a venturi on the discharge to create a suction at the main drain. the debris is then trapped in a netting or filter medium (my netting tore years ago and I've been using the cartridge filter). However, there is little to no suction at the main drain, hence leaves and other debris lie there not being removed.

My question is: The only suction from the pool to the filter is through the skimmer port. Can I adapt a vacuum hose and head to this to manually vacuum the pool after windy days leave it exceptionally dirty. The line from the skimmer to the pump is 2". My concern is not providing enough water to the pump through the vacuum head and causing cavitation. Any suggestions?

Sure can. You need a skimmer vac Plate (not sure which skimmer you have) and then a standard issue hose, pole and vac head.

It's how I currently roll. The robots just haven't been living long enough for me to justify it with short seasons.

My pool has a debris problem. It is equipped with a Caretaker 99 in floor cleaning system and a leaf trapper system. This is where the problem lies. This system uses a venturi on the discharge to create a suction at the main drain. the debris is then trapped in a netting or filter medium (my netting tore years ago and I've been using the cartridge filter). However, there is little to no suction at the main drain, hence leaves and other debris lie there not being removed.

My question is: The only suction from the pool to the filter is through the skimmer port. Can I adapt a vacuum hose and head to this to manually vacuum the pool after windy days leave it exceptionally dirty. The line from the skimmer to the pump is 2". My concern is not providing enough water to the pump through the vacuum head and causing cavitation. Any suggestions?
Fill the hose with water and plug into the suction port in the skimmer.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.