Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!

Concrete decking prep question:

I've read that proper preparation of the base is one of the keys to minimizing the cracking of concrete. I know it will crack, but there's no need for it to be more than typical if I can prepare properly.

Since we elevated the pool slightly to deal with drainage, something will need to fill up the empty space below the concrete. The concrete guy says they use 4" of cushion sand directly under the concrete, but what should I have them use below that? More sand? Road base and then the sand? No sand at all and only road base? Something else? The dirt that is there now is blackish clay. Then, once we choose something, do we need to compact it in layers before they pour the concrete? If they dismiss proper compaction, that's just being lazy, right?

Some pics to show how much needs to be filled. These spots are the worst:

All the concrete that has been installed at my place has had 3/4 drain rock under it, since there are no fines in it it is 98% compacted when it is laid and doesn't need any more. Definitely with sand or road bed you need alot of compaction.

Just a warning about base materials and concrete in general. Location Location Location. Different areas of the country use different materials some are better than others but most base materials handled correctly work fine for residential pool decks. They aren't being run over all day long and stressed by hard tired electric forklifts making turns. And some areas of the country use the same materials and describe them differently. Finding a good contractor and seeing some samples of their work that is five or more years old is a good test. Also if the price is low they may be omitting something. Make it clear what you are paying for. Rebar 10 inches on center. Spell it out. Integrated color vs surface color. Compacted to 90%. Many of these subs are just going to ball park the specs so you have to be there to see what they are dong and gently guide them towards your true path (the contract you negotiated). And don't add extras after you cut the deal without expecting extra costs and delays.

Concrete decking can be one of the largest line items in a pool budget and it can be tempting to cut costs so ask questions.

You both make some good points about the concrete prep work. It looks as if my tile and coping might go in this week, and if so, I'll be having the concrete sub back out soon to finalize things. I'll be sure to get everything spelled out. I don't like surprises, and it's nice to have something in writing to point to and say, "Make sure you do it this way." Thank you for the suggestions and insight.

Hi Denise! Thanks for checking In. Today has turned out to be a busier day that I expected. I had an early appointment to check on the newest member of the family, and all is well. Here's a sneak peek at 26 weeks...

The tile and coping guys showed up this morning and should be done tomorrow.

Here are our selections. We went with bullnose precast concrete coping in tan. The waterline tile is NPT's Trident Turquoise and the trim tile for the steps and benches (to be installed right before plaster) is NPT's glass Jules 1" tile in Rustic Blue. Right now I have planned Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble for the plaster, but depending on if my guy brings down his price or not, I may go with a PebbleSheen standard color instead.

The electricians are also working out there today and should be done by the end of the day. The electrical runs turned out to be shorter than they had estimated, so the invoice is coming in a little less. That meant I could add the extra GFCI outlet and still be under what we originally budgeted. Yay! Everything is coming together!

Thank you, ladies! Now that I'm officially an "elderly multigravida" (elderly at 35+?!) as they want to call me, they will give me tons more sonograms as I get closer to my due date. Since we like to be surprised as to the sex of the baby, I tell them every time, "Don't show me or say anything about boy or girl!" So far we've had no slip ups, but it is fun to see the baby moving around on the screen and to take a picture home to the kids. How neat that you're a sono tech, Sheree! I admire the skill it takes to get those pictures.

Here are a couple of photos from today's tile and coping. It's all done, except for two missing ~2' spots of coping where they didn't have the right radius curves, I guess. I like how it looks. Maybe not as fancy as others I've admired on here, but the glass on the tile steps will be my little splurge (thanks to the influences, good or bad, of TFP and it's bling! :) ). They will come back tomorrow to finish. It was too bad they didn't have what they needed. They were so close to being all the way done in one day!

Helen, I really like your tile, coping and plaster selections. I have to admit, I discovered that glass tile from another poster's build on here who also chose a modified Tropics Blue (thanks, Jaimslaw!). I can see how it would be so popular. It goes with a lot.

So... Here are my pics... Closeup of tile in the sun, before grout. We went with a grey grout.

Overview of pool, but the sun was getting low so there's not as might brightness to the tile.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's a beautiful little baby you've got there Jamie!! My wife also gets the "advanced maternal age" badge as well ;) We're a few weeks ahead of you in the "baby-build thread" and ours is already clocking in over 4lbs 11oz on the latest sono at roughly 32 weeks :shock:

Love the coping/grout/tile choice. Your water line tile is a very similar color and pattern as ours, it's going to look awesome when you're done.

Keeping a watchful eye on your thread :cyclopean:

Matt

I think your coping is a great take on that classic concrete coping with the raised rolled edge of years gone by.

You have SO much to look forward to. Beautiful pool, a new addition to the family, and so much family fun in the backyard and pool.

I am jealous...

Me? Approaching grandma stage. When we were younger, we did everything we could for family time...and to keep the fun at OUR house so WE were the ones supervising our kids with their friends. Our home was where kids wanted to be. Pool, pool table, fooze ball table, putting green, ping-pong, etc.

Totally (kinda) broke going into our retirement years, but we don't regret a thing. Not a one.

Cherish it all.

That's a beautiful little baby you've got there Jamie!! My wife also gets the "advanced maternal age" badge as well ;) We're a few weeks ahead of you in the "baby-build thread" and ours is already clocking in over 4lbs 11oz on the latest sono at roughly 32 weeks :shock:

Love the coping/grout/tile choice. Your water line tile is a very similar color and pattern as ours, it's going to look awesome when you're done.

Keeping a watchful eye on your thread :cyclopean:

Matt

Matt, your wife is getting closer... I bet you're excited for your little princess to arrive! Our little one was just under 2 lbs yesterday, so still a long ways to go. It sounds like everything is healthy for your wife and baby, so that's wonderful news!

Haha, loved the 26 week sneak peek. Looks like s/he loves the heated pool and perfect water balance!
LOL! Hopefully our future swimming pool water will be as easy to maintain as this little one's private oasis!

I think your coping is a great take on that classic concrete coping with the raised rolled edge of years gone by.

Thanks! We could have gone with that raised "safety grip" edge as they call it, but didn't want to go that "classic"! The bullnose does update it a little bit. We mostly chose the precast concrete because of its smoothness for sitting on and grabbing, and its hopefully being cooler than natural stone. Plus, with a SWG, we didn't want to worry about erosion of soft stone, although ironically, we did have this coping sealed at the factory to help it resist staining etc.

You have SO much to look forward to. Beautiful pool, a new addition to the family, and so much family fun in the backyard and pool.

I am jealous...

Me? Approaching grandma stage. When we were younger, we did everything we could for family time...and to keep the fun at OUR house so WE were the ones supervising our kids with their friends. Our home was where kids wanted to be. Pool, pool table, fooze ball table, putting green, ping-pong, etc.

Totally (kinda) broke going into our retirement years, but we don't regret a thing. Not a one.

Cherish it all.

Thank you Marian! This is definitely an exciting time for our family. I hope we will have the same results as your family did while your kids were growing up... Our place being the fun spot for everyone to congregate. It sounds like you did make the right choice. And when the grandkids start coming, your house will be the one of happy memories and new ones too!

Jamie, are you going with Jaimslaw's custom blend? That pool remodel is beautiful.

I would love to, and that would be my dream, but it may come down to needing to save money and not being able to do it. We'll see... I'd at least like to be able to add shells, but even that is up in the air. I do like the Tropics Blue even as is, and it already has some shells in it, so I may be content with just that in the end.

I'm thinking I'm about at that point where I need to order my TFP testing stuff. My water is hard and from what I've read, isn't it helpful to test it ahead of time so I'll know how to deal with it when I fill the pool?

Can anyone offer advice on the particulars of what I should order? I'll get the speedstir, and I want to buy the most economical kit possible, but I also don't want to order so much that the reagents expire too soon. Also, I'm unclear as to what kind of salt testing I will need, if any.

Everything was theory up until this point, and it's a little intimidating to think of needing to take over the water chemistry soon. But I know getting the TFP testing kit will be my first step to pool maintenance freedom!

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Oh, and now that the tile and coping are done, I've got my concrete decking sub coming out Monday to talk specifics about how they will do my job, and to lay out the area. Slowly but surely... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.