WaterGuru - A Test

Honestly if there’s no danger anyone will step on it like an inground pool, you could probably just let it set over it. The part will dangle down into it and it should be fine.
I may just try that. I could also secure it with velcro so it stays in place. I think I'm going to take the plunge. Oh, I better ask you first, has your testing still been within specs?
Edited to add: Within specs meaning - within range of your test kit.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hey, while you are doing measurements on, could you tell me how far down does the cartridge hang. I tried asking support and all I got was that it had to be in the water. I just want to make sure that it hangs down far enough for my pool. My water level is about 8 inches down from the skimmer lid.
Thanks

I've been following along here. I wanted to purchase a Sutro smart monitor years ago when first announced. I spoke with (one of?) the founders and he said they figured out a way to truly read FC. Years and years and iterations passed with no real progress. Unit is finally coming to market - but they're using a similar idea of using a cartridge to test. Believe they also have/require a chemical subscription. Price of the unit - $700. Ouch.

So I was excited to see the Waterguru Sense come along. Same basic idea, but for a lot less. I'd still do weekly tests myself, but nice to have a running log of FC and pH during the week so I can fine tune the salt cell if needed (Or if something unexpected comes up!)

Long story short, had some questions and reached out to Waterguru support this am. Received a response in about four hours. For anyone interested, here's the Q&A -

- How often can you have a lab TEST done - annually.
- If I only get about five months out of the season here, that equals 2.5 cartridges (They last 8 weeks.) Can I save that last cartridge for next season after it's been in the water? Yes.
- Disappointed with the warranty since, for me, 1 year equals five months. Is there a repair program for a nominal cost if needed? "If the unlikely event happens that you need to have the unit repair, you can feel free to contact us at that time for instructions."

Hey, while you are doing measurements on, could you tell me how far down does the cartridge hang. I tried asking support and all I got was that it had to be in the water. I just want to make sure that it hangs down far enough for my pool. My water level is about 8 inches down from the skimmer lid.
Thanks
About 12" or so from the bottom of the cover to the top of the device. It comes with a little plastic dealie where the cord exits the bottom of the cover that you can wrap the cord around to make it shorter if you need to.

What does your skimmer opening and cover look like? Can you post photos? :)

Edit: sorry, forgot we were conversing earlier in the thread :D

Hi all - as a total and complete newbie when it comes to pools and pool maintenance (this is the first time I owned a home with a pool), this thread is quite interesting. It’s not a massive pool (the pool guys tell me about 8K gallons) but good enough for the two of us.
Now, at this point I have a pool company swinging by on a weekly basis to test the water and add chemicals. And so I’m wondering if I could do this myself using this device?
How would one know what kind and how much chemicals to add? I read that the app makes suggestions on what to do but I can’t find much details about that part of this...
Anybody have experience with that?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: jkdooley
Welcome! I wouldn’t recommend any device be used to replace a good dropper test kit - only to supplement them. You really want to start with a TFT-100 or a Taylor K-2006C test kit. The devices could be off at some point and you will want a reliable kit to check them against every so often. :)

Also the app gives chem suggestions but they’re not always what we recommend here. I’d use Pool Math for that, but it’s most important to understand theABCs of Pool Water Chemistry on your own to understand the why’s behind the suggestions. Else you could end up on a roller coaster trying to chase some perfect ideal that isn’t necessary to achieve for some stat. :)

Reactions: mwemaxxowner

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I received my lab test results. Anyone here care to analyze them?
Do I need to worry about the phosphates? My pool is crystal clear. Last year I had the water tested at my local pool store and phosphates were high so I treated it with a phosphate remover and it ended up being a headache. Pool was cloudy and kept clogging my de filter. I had to keep changing the powder. Can I just ignore this as long as the pool is clear?
Also, I have an ag pool with a vinyl liner, do I need to be concerned with the CH level?
The rest of the results seem ok?
Still new and learning. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200619_131359.jpg
    20200619_131359.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 67
So for those that have been using this unit for a length of time now would you recommend it or would you go another direction?

So for those that have been using this unit for a length of time now would you recommend it or would you go another direction?
I like having it as a supplement to my testing. It basically tests for me daily and I check it weekly to make sure it's still reading fairly accurately (so far it's usually a little low on the FC compared to my testing, which is fine - I'd rather it be too low than too high!). So I'm satisfied with it and will keep getting more cartridges as needed.

I have had a few issues with it but they've been resolved quickly with an e-mail to their support people. So - so far, so good.

Does the App communicate directly with the sensor or does it require communication with the company? I’m wary of internet connected devices that become paper weights if the company closes.

That’s too bad. I have no problem with things that have added benefits from being connected, but things that require “the cloud” to function aren’t for me.
Though, I guess in this case it wouldn’t much matter. You have to buy the test cartridge refills from them anyway, right? So if they ever stop selling those for some reason, the WG isn’t much use anyway.
I’ll keep an eye on it though in case any of this changes. It’s certainly an interesting product.

Reactions: IceShadow
So a couple of weeks ago I started getting a “flow sensor error.” I wrote WG, and it took them a couple of business days to reply, but when they did, they said they were sending me a new second-gen unit. So we will see how that does. :)

Welcome! I wouldn’t recommend any device be used to replace a good dropper test kit - only to supplement them. You really want to start with a TFT-100 or a Taylor K-2006C test kit. The devices could be off at some point and you will want a reliable kit to check them against every so often. :)

Also the app gives chem suggestions but they’re not always what we recommend here. I’d use Pool Math for that, but it’s most important to understand theABCs of Pool Water Chemistry on your own to understand the why’s behind the suggestions. Else you could end up on a roller coaster trying to chase some perfect ideal that isn’t necessary to achieve for some stat. :)

Thanks for all the detailed reports.

I was a little surprised by one thing you mentioned here. What kind of suggestions does the Wayerguru make that differ from what’s recommended here? From what I read Waterguru is run by Richard Falk aka ChemGeek (https://www.poolspanews.com/compani...ice-of-the-cmahc-cyanurate-ad-hoc-committee_o), so if anyone should know good water chemistry I would expect it to be him.

is it just Calhyppo vs liquid chlorine?

Thanks for all the detailed reports.

I was a little surprised by one thing you mentioned here. What kind of suggestions does the Wayerguru make that differ from what’s recommended here? From what I read Waterguru is run by Richard Falk aka ChemGeek (https://www.poolspanews.com/compani...ice-of-the-cmahc-cyanurate-ad-hoc-committee_o), so if anyone should know good water chemistry I would expect it to be him.

is it just Calhyppo vs liquid chlorine?
The waterguru only test PH, Alkalinity and Chlorine. And it only test Chlorine up to 5PPM. If you have a CYA of 40 your target is 5-7PPM for Chlorine. If you have 50PPM your target is 6-8PPM. So you would not be able to tell how much your FC was unless it was under 5PPM which you would not want anyways as you would be approaching your minimum FC.

Reactions: KKell

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.