Water in an electrical conduit

kma_97

Jul 16, 2022
California
Hi All,

My former pool pro replaced my old pool lights with Pentair Intellibrite 5Gs. I walked by the Pentair junction boxes (next to the power center) yesterday and noticed a few drops of water on one of the electrical conduits going into one of the junction boxes and ignored it thinking it’s probably from irrigation. Walked by it today and observed water again. I removed the top of the junction box and to my huge surprise noticed that that pipe with the wire from the light is full of water… I don’t think that water and electricity is a good combination…

What should I do? Do I call that guy and tell him to fix it? Is there a chance that it wasn’t his doing (logic suggest that it’s almost certainly his doing, otherwise he would have told me I got water in the conduit, but I may be wrong)?

Thank you in advance!

The junction box should be a minimum of 12” above the highest water level in the pool. Is it?

There should not be water there. Do the junction box is not that far above the water level?

I can lift it above the pool level as close to 12” as wiring would allow. How do I solve the “water in the conduit” issue?

Light Cord Stopper - 3/4 Inch - New 12 Volt Installation​

There are various ones that accommodate the cord and bond wire. Ignore the 12v description. I have used these and they work well. Generally, a 12" rise is enough to account for surge when ones are swimming. They are listed on the poolweb website (no affiliation).
There is always water in the light conduit up to the level of the pool. We just don't want it to be pushed into the j-box. GFCI should have tripped unless it is a 12v installation. Might want to test it if the lights have been used in that condition.

Light Cord Stopper - 3/4 Inch - New 12 Volt Installation​

There are various ones that accommodate the cord and bond wire. Ignore the 12v description. I have used these and they work well. Generally, a 12" rise is enough to account for surge when ones are swimming. They are listed on the poolweb website (no affiliation).
There is always water in the light conduit up to the level of the pool. We just don't want it to be pushed into the j-box. GFCI should have tripped unless it is a 12v installation. Might want to test it if the lights have been used in that condition.
Thank you! These light cord stopper (based on the description I found on pool web) are supposed to be installed in the light niche. Are you saying that I should move the junction box higher and cram that thing into the conduit at the junction box to prevent the water from entering the junction box? Maybe even add silicone on top?

Thank you! These light cord stopper (based on the description I found on pool web) are supposed to be installed in the light niche. Are you saying that I should move the junction box higher and cram that thing into the conduit at the junction box to prevent the water from entering the junction box? Maybe even add silicone on top?
I have always used two, one at each end, if there was water intrusion into a j-box. If you put silicone sealant on it the plug will just force its way out of the conduit (ask me how I know). They are a "friction fit" item.
You need to get the proper size. Most newer pool use 1" conduit for the light cord. The size should be on the conduit end in the j-box. If not there, 1" conduit (interior diameter) will measure about 1.25" on the outside. I just copied what was on the website first as a reference to what is available.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have always used two, one at each end, if there was water intrusion into a j-box. If you put silicone sealant on it the plug will just force its way out of the conduit (ask me how I know). They are a "friction fit" item.
You need to get the proper size. Most newer pool use 1" conduit for the light cord. The size should be on the conduit end in the j-box. If not there, 1" conduit (interior diameter) will measure about 1.25" on the outside. I just copied what was on the website first as a reference to what is available.
“ask me how I know” 😄
Mine are 3/4”. Thank you!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.