MgoPool

Oct 19, 2022
Riverview, Florida
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
Hello the board:

My wife and I recently purchased our 1st and last pool home! It has been a learning experience to say the least and no amount of reading can prepare you for the onslaught of data! With that said we are still 100% happy we took the plunge and are eager to learn everything that we can. For now we have a pool company that is doing the upkeep (maintenance and water chem) until we are ready to take over! Smart choice from our newbie view!

One thing we are struggling with is getting the valves set in the correct positions to utilize the water features (bubbler & 2 fountains) to their max potential. We had Jandy actuators installed along with an iAqualink automation system to give us one button push for spa and pool mode (eventually would like to add the same automation for water features). In pool mode I have the pump RPMs set to 1950 so I'm pretty sure that needs to be increased to max (3450 RPMs)to maintain good flow and utilize the water features.

Here are my questions:

Using the attached picture what would be the best valve setup to maintain flow and have the water features going?
Is one (1) pump enough for this setup or should I add a pump dedicated to the water features?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

PoolEquip_post_automation.jpeg

Welcome to TFP.

That small filter told me you are in Florida. I don't know why Florida pool builders like to saddle you with small filters.

You can't add a pump for the water features without having another suction line for the pump to use.

Have you tried opening the water feature valves full open, cranking up your pump, and seeing what you get?

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidArmenB
M,

I pretty sure that horse is out of the barn now. I'm sure you realize now that this is something that should have been thought about before any of the plumbing was installed.

Some things can be done, but it will cost a few big bucks...

I suggest that you use what you have for a few months to a year. Most likely you will find that water features that are currently so dear to your heart, will not be so dear in a year or so. Once the newness wears off, there won't be much excitement about them, and you may not want to spend the extra money anymore. If you then decide you still want the additional plumbing, then at least you will know it will be worth the extra money.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Welcome to TFP.

That small filter told me you are in Florida. I don't know why Florida pool builders like to saddle you with small filters.

You can't add a pump for the water features without having another suction line for the pump to use.

Have you tried opening the water feature valves full open, cranking up your pump, and seeing what you get?
Thanks for the welcome!

Florida it is and I agree that the filter seems a bit small for the pool/spa but we bought the home with the pool already built so we didn't have any input on that.

I did try the water features full open but haven't cranked the pump up or adjusted the returns as of yet. Next time I'm down there I'll be testing all of that out! Trial and error!

Can a suction line be added fairly easily with an established setup?

Thanks

M,

I pretty sure that horse is out of the barn now. I'm sure you realize now that this is something that should have been thought about before any of the plumbing was installed.

Some things can be done, but it will cost a few big bucks...

I suggest that you use what you have for a few months to a year. Most likely you will find that water features that are currently so dear to your heart, will not be so dear in a year or so. Once the newness wears off, there won't be much excitement about them, and you may not want to spend the extra money anymore. If you then decide you still want the additional plumbing, then at least you will know it will be worth the extra money.

Thanks,

Jim R.
J,

The pool came with the house, thanks! My grandchildren love the water features thus, Ipso Facto, so do I.

M.

M,

The best approach to adding another pump would be as follows:

1. Remove the main drain input to your current pump and plumb it over to the input of the new pump.
2. Plumb the new pump's output to a separate new filter.
3. Remove the water features you want to control with the new pump from your current pump's return plumbing.
4. Plumb the new filter's output to the water features you want to control with the new pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: MgoPool
Using the attached picture what would be the best valve setup to maintain flow and have the water features going?
Is one (1) pump enough for this setup or should I add a pump dedicated to the water features?
The plumbing set up is very neat and well-marked. It is also great that you have Jandy never lube valves on all the plumbing so those are repairable without removing the valve body from the plumbing.

Once you take over your own testing, you may find that having the water fountain and bubbler constantly on will require you to watch your pH levels because the aeration will cause the pH to rise. Please read
Also, prior to fully taking over the testing and chemical balancing - please purchase a proper test kit - see Test Kits Compared

To reap the energy saving benefit of a VS pump, it is best to run it at lower rpm for majority of time and only ramp it up to higher speeds for specific requirements such as water features or suction vacuum. Running a VS pump at over 3000 rpm is just like running a single speed pump. Consider running your water features at certain times of the day. It would be easier to automate those valves to a set schedule, but you can manually do it as well by just setting a schedule for your VS pump and then an alarm on your phone to go manually turn the valve.

With regard to your suction valves, always ensure one of those 3 valves on the right side (Vacuum, main drain & skimmer) is open before turning any of the others closed. You do not want to have your pump just suck air. Right now your photo shows the vacuum is full open and Skimmer slightly open and main drain closed. You probably only need to run your vacuum an hour or so a day (or less depending on your debris in the pool). There are different ways to do this depending you keep your cleaner in the pool all the time or you only hook it up on a as needed basis.

As indicated by others, it is not "easily" done to add a pump to only operate your water features, but the downside is that you give up the main drain suction line. Many pools do not have a main drain and operate fine so you just need to make a judgement on that and then be prepared for some significant work to replumb it all.

IMO, reducing your use of the water features or coming up with a plan to automate them may be a better choice.

Reactions: MgoPool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.