Water clarity-I am Baffled

Did your kit arrive? Which one did you buy? When do we get to see test results? Come on come on!! Post em up!
Haha you are so excited to help I love it! I ordered the $$$ TS 2006c, it should arrive later today.
Also what about using the floating thing that holds chlorine tabs? I was told to not let this get empty, i have the 1” REGAL brand.

Haha you are so excited to help I love it! I ordered the $$$ TS 2006c, it should arrive later today.
Also what about using the floating thing that holds chlorine tabs? I was told to not let this get empty, i have the 1” REGAL brand.
Take it out!
Tabs add cya along with fc. They are also acidic.
The chlorine is consumed daily but the cya stays behind. This makes it hard to follow the FC/CYA Levels & more often than not under sanitized water & algae is the result. It is impractical to do the SLAM Process at high cya levels.
Here’s the effect each dissolved 1” tab has on your water
👇
8D904EE5-8ABA-4277-A528-84F4290074F3.png

Well now test kit wont arrive til Sunday or Monday:mad: I am going to test w/ some strips I have tonight and tomorrow morning for the overnight chlorine loss. It wont be as accurate as the new test but better than nothing. Meanwhile I will continue to add the 1/4gal chlorine so it does not get worse .

Well now test kit wont arrive til Sunday or Monday:mad: I am going to test w/ some strips I have tonight and tomorrow morning for the overnight chlorine loss. It wont be as accurate as the new test but better than nothing. Meanwhile I will continue to add the 1/4gal chlorine so it does not get worse .
Don't bother. Test strips are not accurate at all.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hang in there. All good.

As an option to test strips, you could ask a Voodoo Queen to consult the magic chicken bones. 🧟‍♀️🧟‍♀️🪄🪄🍗

^^ haha! Should the cover be off or on at night? How many hours should the pump be running daily?
With algae in the pool, I'd leave the cover off and let it dry out.

On the pump side, a little bit harder to give advice. Your pump doesn't have a gauge to help you know when to clean it. Have you been able to let it run for 12 hours without it clogging? How often are you cleaning? If it can go long enough overnight and not get clogged, leave it on, will help filter out what you have...

With algae in the pool, I'd leave the cover off and let it dry out.

On the pump side, a little bit harder to give advice. Your pump doesn't have a gauge to help you know when to clean it. Have you been able to let it run for 12 hours without it clogging? How often are you cleaning? If it can go long enough overnight and not get clogged, leave it on, will help filter out what you have...
Ok.
Yes it can run without clogging. I have been cleaning the Orca filter 2x/day. Also cleaned the ladder, thermometer, the inside of the pump, brushed walls, floor and using screen net daily.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Often when those get clogged output slows. That happens pretty quickly with algae. Swapping filters multiple times per day is necessary if running it nonstop which is recommended during slam.

Reactions: PoolStored
Often when those get clogged output slows. That happens pretty quickly with algae. Swapping filters multiple times per day is necessary if running it nonstop which is recommended during slam.
Yeah, that's why I asked the question. Don't want OP to burn up her pump leaving it on overnight...are these Krystal Clear 633T Filter Pump with Orca reusable filter fairly robust? I'm a bit concerned, but if she has been cleaning 2x, seems like it will handle overnight...

Reactions: Mdragger88
Yeah, that's why I asked the question. Don't want OP to burn up her pump leaving it on overnight...are these Krystal Clear 633T Filter Pump with Orca reusable filter fairly robust?
I dunno about the filter - i just always used the paper type ones & rotated several. Turning it off overnight is a good idea if it’s clogging quickly then in the morning vac to waste what has settled before turning the pump back on. She can siphon vac w/ A manual vac & hose.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
It does not seem to clog, I check it often.
On another note, test kit order is FURTHER delayed :mad::mad: So I ordered the TF test kit. Always something.
In the meantime, trying to patiently wait

GOOD GRIEF. The TF kit won't be here until SATURDAY 7/30!!!!!!!! I need to do something to start this process.
U can drain, scrub, rinse & begin fresh - when your kit comes u can then get everything in line & do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure everything is dead & gone.
If you go that route you will need some granular stabilizer - about 1.5 lbs. to reach 30ppm (it’s about $20 for 4# @ Walmart)
Added via the sock method.
Then add 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily.

U can drain, scrub, rinse & begin fresh - when your kit comes u can then get everything in line & do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure everything is dead & gone.
If you go that route you will need some granular stabilizer - about 1.5 lbs. to reach 30ppm (it’s about $20 for 4# @ Walmart)
Added via the sock method.
Then add 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily.
Will I have to drain it anyway? I did drain about 1/3 out last week, brushed, vacuumed, netted. It’s not getting any worse w/ adding chlorine daily. Plus its cooled off some.

Will I have to drain it anyway? I did drain about 1/3 out last week, brushed, vacuumed, netted. It’s not getting any worse w/ adding chlorine daily. Plus its cooled off some.
Until u know your actual cya there’s no way to tell. Slam is definitely impractical with cya over 80ppm. It’s best for it to be 30-40. If u have been using stabilized chlorine products like dichlor & trichlor (pucks & bagged “shock”) it could be sky high. If u drain, scrub & refill then only put back in 30ppm of cya u will know where u stand.

Until u know your actual cya there’s no way to tell. Slam is definitely impractical with cya over 80ppm. It’s best for it to be 30-40. If u have been using stabilized chlorine products like dichlor & trichlor (pucks & bagged “shock”) it could be sky high. If u drain, scrub & refill then only put back in 30ppm of cya u will know where u stand.
Here are some CYA readings from the pool store from 6/13 - 7/20:
I use only liquid chlorine, and took the tabs out.
7/20 pH was 7.6, FC 2.05 (pool store readings).

Here are some CYA readings from the pool store from 6/13 - 7/20:
I use only liquid chlorine, and took the tabs out.
7/20 pH was 7.6, FC 2.05 (pool store readings).
Sadly- as u can tell - the pool store results vary . The cya test is one of the ones they get wrong most of the time.
If it were me w/ a 6k gallon algae filled portable pool & an underpowered, undersized filter (& i have been in your position) - I would drain, scrub & refill knowing exactly what is in my water so I could enjoy my pool in short order. Only adding 30ppm of cya after refill & 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily until u can properly test.
Liquid chlorine is over $4 a gallon & it will likely take a lot of liquid chlorine & time to clear the swamp. Most slams take at least a week. Water is much cheaper in that respect.
When u receive your kit you can do things properly from the start & enjoy your pool in the meantime.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.