Wanting to convert from Baquacil to Chlorine

Rather than shutting off the pump overnight, bypass the filter and leave the pump running overnight. This will help circulate the chlorine and consume more of the goo. In the morning vacuum to waste if you can. Keep adding chlorine to hit FC of 15.

You normally use one heaping scoop of powder for the FAS-DPD chlorine test. In the vast majority of situations that is plenty. However, when the FC level is really really high the sample will turn pink and then go back to clear (or brown), which means you need to add more powder.

The procedure I've been following is to check FC level every hour and the add 2 128 oz jugs of 6% bleach as calculated on the pool calculator to go from 0 to 15 FC. So far every hour it has been 1.0 - 1.5 FC. Does that sound right?
If I follow you, that is not correct. From the article in Pool School....
SLAM:
Measure the FC level
Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (or a little higher)
For example, if you test and your FC is 8 ppm, you should add 7 ppm of FC (Not two jugs) so your FC returns to 15 ppm.

Yes, that is normal during the first phase of the conversion. Baqua and chlorine destroy each other quite quickly, and chlorine will continue vanishing rapidly as long as there is still baqua in the water. During the second phase you are breaking down what I call baqgoo, residue left over from old baqua, which breaks down more slowly, and at that point you will be able to have much higher FC levels after an hour.

At the start your chlorine level will drop rather fast, as you are seeing. If you test 1ppm chlorine adding 2gallons of 6% will raise your FC up 14ppm......right where you want it.

Keep at it....and brush often.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
9yse5ase.jpg

Pic from this morning. Started early at 6;30. I have 5 jugs of bleach in so far today. Backwashing evey hour before adding bleach. Went up to home depot and got a medium stiffness brush and will be brushing the walls every other hour. How often should I vacuum you think?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

THe last two hourly checks have shown at FC level of 7.5. Now I am adding 1 128oz jug of bleach each hour. Thanks for the tip on scrubbing and vacuuming Dolfnzr1. I have had my return pointing slightly downward, not sure if it matters, but I changed it now to point upward to aerate the water a little.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.