Wanting as low a FC as possible for SWG pool.

DesertSandSwimmer

Silver Supporter
Oct 19, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
Building a pool now and trying to decide on equipment. I keep reading advertisements how a salt water pool is so much nicer because you can run your FC at .5, then I keep reading blogs here that say I need a FC of 5-6. I also read blogs that say the FC needs to be the same whether Chlorine pool or a Salt Water Pool. Was hoping to run a low FC and supplement my water with UV. I read the postings here that the SUN is UV and I get that, but the sun grows algae, whereas the UV system (being much more potent) destroys algae . I am being pushed really hard by my pool builder to buy an ionizer (silver/copper) if I go SWG. Now I see that there is a chart for what FC is need for what CYA level is in your pool. Basically, I just want pool water that will not make people's skin itch or their hair to feel like straw or worse, turn into green straw. (don't we all?) Other problem is my town gets lots of sand storms and I am afraid that a cartridge filter will get plugged too quickly, yet do not really want to use a sand filter. Has anyone had good results with either singular or combined ionizer, ozone, UV system?

In a nut shell you PB knows very little about pool sanitization. SWCG is a big yes and get minimum 2 X pool capacity for size. No UV gizmos and NO ionizer. Get the biggest filter you can fit along with a vsp pump. I'll let the professionals chime in on automation. No pressure or suction side cleaner but rather get a pool robot.

Welcome to the forum! Lot's of great information via our video's. And that Ionizer the PB is pushing is what makes blonde hair turn green!

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I just want pool water that will not make people's skin itch or their hair to feel like straw or worse, turn into green straw. (don't we all?)

D,

We don't!! We already have it.. This is because we use science to decide how we run our pools and not witchcraft, or myths.

I have three saltwater pools and run my FC at 5 ppm or higher.. When you get out of my saltwater pools (TFP pools) you feel like you just took a shower.. There is no chlorine smell, there is no itchy skin, nothing..

The idea that you want to run your FC as low as possible reminds me of an old joke.. "A guy asks me what is that around your neck.. I tell him it's a magic bean that keeps wild lions from eating me.. Obviously it works, I am still here." The same thing applies to your OZone and UV or worse yet minerals... Just because your pool builder says he has a magic bean that will keep algae out of your pool does not mean that it really works.

Thanks,

Jim R.

D,

We don't!! We already have it.. This is because we use science to decide how we run our pools and not witchcraft, or myths.

I have three saltwater pools and run my FC at 5 ppm or higher.. When you get out of my saltwater pools (TFP pools) you feel like you just took a shower.. There is no chlorine smell, there is no itchy skin, nothing..

The idea that you want to run your FC as low as possible reminds me of an old joke.. "A guy asks me what is that around your neck.. I tell him it's a magic bean that keeps wild lions from eating me.. Obviously it works, I am still here." The same thing applies to your OZone and UV or worse yet minerals... Just because your pool builder says he has a magic bean that will keep algae out of your pool does not mean that it really works.

Thanks,

Jim R.

This is very very true,,When I first installed my SWG I walked the fence of too long and got algae..Now keep it around 5 or 6 and Jim is dead on..I have used tablets and liquid for years and salt is soo much better. I use to shower after swimming but not anymore

" When you get out of my saltwater pools (TFP pools) you feel like you just took a shower.. There is no chlorine smell, there is no itchy skin, nothing.. "

Desert'
It sounds like you've been reading everything you can get your eyes on. And it's no wonder you are confusing yourself to no end, so its no surprise. The pool industry is going through some big changes in the way they recognize how pools should be sanitized. And depending on how up-to-date the person you're talking to is on the subject you are going to get a a lot of different answers. Well, welcome to the sharp end of the stick. If you read around the educational pool school articles here you will see they present a different protocol than what most post stores and pool builders profess. Its not to say they are wrong, they are outdated. ... ok, they are wrong.

We know why hair turns green and why skin gets itchy. So we know how to manage a pool so it doesn't do that. We know what pool tech works and what doesn't. So we know what to recommend. Everyone here is a volunteer, so there is no ulterior motive to sell you a product,.. we just like happy pool owners and happy forum members.. so there. If you want the sciency background for all this.. well we got that too.

I'll make it simple.. you want an SWG, they just work. Especially in your neck of the woods. No you don't want an ionizer or UV gizmo.. they don't work or cause problems with other pool management. You don't want an FC of .5.. that is insane and you will get all the things on your don't want list. You want to follow the FC/CYA Levels Follow the protocol here and we will make everything on your "want" list come true.

Its not magic, its science, but you can tap your shoes together and say "there is no place like home" if it makes you feel any better. 👠👠 (red stiletto heels were the closest icon I could find to ruby slippers ;))

Last edited:
D,

I recommend that you get a Saltwater Pool and nothing else. Then follow the TFP pool care path. I guarantee that you will love it..

But.. Worst case.. You can always add Ozone, UV and minerals after the fact..

What your pool builder wants you to do, is buy the stuff so he can get his bonus and then, when you find out it does almost nothing, you can just turn it off.. Kind of backwards to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

In a nut shell you PB knows very little about pool sanitization. SWCG is a big yes and get minimum 2 X pool capacity for size. No UV gizmos and NO ionizer. Get the biggest filter you can fit along with a vsp pump. I'll let the professionals chime in on automation. No pressure or suction side cleaner but rather get a pool robot.
Thank you very much!! This is why I joined because of honest opinions. Thank you for responding.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you and thank you for responding.

D,

I recommend that you get a Saltwater Pool and nothing else. Then follow the TFP pool care path. I guarantee that you will love it..

What your pool builder wants you to do, is buy the stuff so he can get his bonus and then, when you find out it does almost nothing, you can just turn it off.. Kind of backwards to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your response.

D,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

D,

Thanks,

Jim R.
That was very helpful. Thank you.

Thank you and will buy your suggestions.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

D,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Great idea. Thank you!!

Desert'
It sounds like you've been reading everything you can get your eyes on. And it's no wonder you are confusing yourself to no end, so its no surprise. The pool industry is going through some big changes in the way they recognize how pools should be sanitized. And depending on how up-to-date the person you're talking to is on the subject you are going to get a a lot of different answers. Well, welcome to the sharp end of the stick. If you read around the educational pool school articles here you will see they present a different protocol than what most post stores and pool builders profess. Its not to say they are wrong, they are outdated. ... ok, they are wrong.

We know why hair turns green and why skin gets itchy. So we know how to manage a pool so it doesn't do that. We know what pool tech works and what doesn't. So we know what to recommend. Everyone here is a volunteer, so there is no ulterior motive to sell you a product,.. we just like happy pool owners and happy forum members.. so there. If you want the sciency background for all this.. well we got that too.

I'll make it simple.. you want an SWG, they just work. Especially in your neck of the woods. No you don't want an ionizer or UV gizmo.. they don't work or cause problems with other pool management. You don't want an FC of .5.. that is insane and you will get all the things on your don't want list. You want to follow the FC/CYA Levels Follow the protocol here and we will make everything on your "want" list come true.

Its not magic, its science, but you can tap your shoes together and say "there is no place like home" if it makes you feel any better. 👠👠 (red stiletto heels were the closest icon I could find to ruby slippers ;))
Loved your answer. Printed it out. Thank you very much!!

Thank you very much. Very much appreciated.

D,

Thanks,

Jim R.
That was great! Thank you so much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.