Wanting as low a FC as possible for SWG pool.

Has anyone had good results with either singular or combined ionizer, ozone, UV system?
Absolutely. The PBs that sell them. Some of them put those results in their bank. Others use those results at the mall or local bar. It varies, but they're all getting good results.

What the PBs don't tell you is that all of those systems also require the use of chlorine in the water. That's because without the chlorine, the water would not be safe to swim in. The same amount of chlorine, in fact, that you would get from using an SWG. Does that tell you something about the effectiveness of those systems?

- Green hair comes from the very chemicals your PB is pushing on you (copper), not chlorine. The silver he wants to use can stain your pool's finish (the copper, too).

- Itching skin comes from CC or mis-balanced pH, both of which we teach you how to avoid. It doesn't come from chlorine.

- Pools do benefit from UV. The sun provides more than is needed, forever, for free.

- It is the level of CYA in the water that determines the effectiveness and "harshness" of the chlorine, as much as the amount of chlorine. We teach you how to get both levels correct.

- Once you get the correct levels of CYA and chlorine in your water, your pool will be unable to grow algae, no matter how much sun is shining on it.

- There are pros and cons to sand vs DE vs cartridge filters. Any one of them can handle the sand storms. And we can show you how to keep the sand from ever getting to the filter in the first place, if you like.

I gotta hand it to you, you managed to cram almost every pool myth out there into one post! I think we've checked 'em all off for you.

If you build yourself an SWG pool and follow along here at TFP, you'll end up with the clearest-looking, nicest-feeling, cleanest, safest water possible. Bar none.

Last edited:
Do not be afraid of chlorine, it is pretty much the most effective sanitation option out there and is it also cost effective. I've been maintaining my FC levels between 6 and 8 ppm, because my CYA is at 50ppm. No chlorine smell, no itchy eyes or skin, even on my children. As long as the FC levels are maintained in proper relation to the stabilizer level, your water will feel fantastic and will be algae free. Here is the Chlorine/CYA Chart. It is a crucial tool for maintaining proper sanitation.

On the other hand, low FC levels always lead to algae. In some cases it may come sooner or later, but it always comes regardless of other gizmos. Chlorine is what keeps algae away. All the other stuff just generates more money for the pool builders during the install and the service companies afterwards, because they will be able to sell more magic potions.

Last edited:
If you do decide you really want UV and Ozone, let me know, I'll make you a heckuva deal on some slightly used units. Installation not included. 😜

Seriously though, I found this place (TFP) right before my plaster was put on, last January. And I didn't do my research ahead of time and added the UV and Ozone, because I thought "I have UV lights on my HVAC system to kill bacteria in the air, why not in the water to kill bacteria in the water?" Shortly after startup, I ditched the UV and Ozone. The Ozone was mostly because it was a constant suction side leak, and I don't like listening to air bubbles in my system. The UV, because it eats the chlorine, which I want to keep in the water. And I needed the space the UV cannister sat, for my acid injection system. My pool, all summer, TFPC methods, not one issue. I am looking forward to keeping it like that. There was a thread on here not long ago about how many times a year you needed to SLAM your pool (SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain - Trouble Free Pool) and one of the cool things reading through there was how long people have been using TFPC methods and not had to SLAM. I am hoping to be one of those that goes for many years without issues.

And just so everyone knows, I am not sure I could sell those to someone on this forum. Heck, they are still darkening my garage because I even have a hard time selling them to some yay-hoo on marketplace who doesn't know any better. Any science experiments anyone knows of????

--Jeff

13 years ago I built my pool. I listened to the pool builder and added a bunch of junk. I have an ozone generator and I had a "Pool Frog". In the end, the Pool Frog was useful in that the space was perfect for my Salt Water Generator.

I had my first swim for the season a couple of week ago. The first thing I noticed was a slight taste of salt(everybody remembers the taste of the water on their first dip in the ocean or pool after a long winter?). Not Chlorine!
Couldn't taste it, couldn't smell it and I run FC at 6ppm. I hope this helps and good luck with your new pool.

I can taste the salt water just when I get in. But after that, I don't really notice it. And it doesn't taste like ocean water or salt water. It just has a taste other than fresh water, like adding a small amount of baking soda to water.

I was in a similar situation when we installed our pool this summer. I think I went against every recommendation my pool builder had (ionizer, sand filter, natural gas heater). We went with SWG, cartridge filter, and heat pump heater/cooler. At first I wanted to keep the chlorine levels as low as possible but went with the recommendations of this board after researching on my own (which is what I would suggest to anyone joining any message board).
With a SWG you'll need higher CYA levels to increase the longevity of the SWG unit. It increases the life of the cell since you aren't running the generator at a high % or long hours. That's because the higher CYA levels protect the chlorine from UV and you need higher levels of chlorine because CYA weakens the effectiveness of chlorine. It's all related and you can't have one without the other.

I was in a similar situation when we installed our pool this summer. I think I went against every recommendation my pool builder had (ionizer, sand filter, natural gas heater). We went with SWG, cartridge filter, and heat pump heater/cooler. At first I wanted to keep the chlorine levels as low as possible but went with the recommendations of this board after researching on my own (which is what I would suggest to anyone joining any message board).
With a SWG you'll need higher CYA levels to increase the longevity of the SWG unit. It increases the life of the cell since you aren't running the generator at a high % or long hours. That's because the higher CYA levels protect the chlorine from UV and you need higher levels of chlorine because CYA weakens the effectiveness of chlorine. It's all related and you can't have one without the other.
Raising CYA was my hardest part..Mental thing :) After draining and trying to get it down for years I didn't want to raise it back to 80 but did and it helped :)

I can taste the salt water just when I get in. But after that, I don't really notice it. And it doesn't taste like ocean water or salt water. It just has a taste other than fresh water, like adding a small amount of baking soda to water.
I think you'll find that if you drink more from the margarita and less from the pool, this will be a non-issue! Just don't use the salt on the rim any you'll be good-to-go... 🍸

Reactions: markayash
Raising CYA was my hardest part..Mental thing :) After draining and trying to get it down for years I didn't want to raise it back to 80 but did and it helped :)

Me too! After fighting mustard algae because of too high CYA, going up on CYA for the SWG was tough. But I'm happily running at 70ppm CYA. I may need to cut the SWG back a bit, since with the cover it is not losing chlorine and it is quite high...

FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.