limasaj

Jul 16, 2020
North TX
I am in the process of finalizing my equipment choices for a new build and was told by my builder that a VSP in Texas wouldn't be a cost saver due to such warm temps in the summer. They are recommending a 1-speed, 2hp pump for a 15k G pool. They gave an example of a VSP working well in San Diego because the temps are consistent and the pump could run at lower speeds most of the time. It left me a bit perplexed since about 8 months out of the rest of the year, outside of peak summer months, North Texas has mild temps. Does anyone have any experience with a VSP vs. 1-speed pump in Texas as far as energy savings? I am trying to figure out if it is worth the additional cost to go with a VSP. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
There is no reason to run the pump at a higher rate in summer.
My pool water and air temperature gets far higher than anything in Texas. My VS pump stays at 1500 rpm.
Now, if you are going to use trichlor tablets in a chlorinator, then yes, you have to run the pump all out to erode enough to keep up the FC, but then, it will still fail, as your CYA will also go up. And then you have algae.
Install a SaltWater Chlorine Generator.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Sorry, I've read your post multiple times and do not understand your PB logic. A VS pump is highly recommended here.

The only logical explanation I have is that single speed motors will be illegal to install starting next year. Maybe he has excess inventory and is trying to pawn it off on you? Bizarre...

Sorry, I've read your post multiple times and do not understand your PB logic. A VS pump is highly recommended here.

The only logical explanation I have is that single speed motors will be illegal to install starting next year. Maybe he has excess inventory and is trying to pawn it off on you? Bizarre...
Oh wow! Why will the be illegal next year?

Welcome to the forum!
There is no reason to run the pump at a higher rate in summer.
My pool water and air temperature gets far higher than anything in Texas. My VS pump stays at 1500 rpm.
Now, if you are going to use trichlor tablets in a chlorinator, then yes, you have to run the pump all out to erode enough to keep up the FC, but then, it will still fail, as your CYA will also go up. And then you have algae.
Install a SaltWater Chlorine Generator.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thank you. I will have a SWG system.

North Texas here and I can't imagine not having a variable speed pump. Pool is only 5 years old so I've never had one of the old energy hogs, but love the ability to run different speeds for different functions in the pool, plus when you don't need a lot of water movement you can run it a very low speeds to still get the water turned and chlorinated. Our water bill is more expensive than the electrical bill - that is with the pool and two EV's in the garage.

Reactions: limasaj
Next question if anyone can help...I talked to PB about a variable speed pump. They prefer to use Hayward and so I went to the Hayward site and saw several options. They are proposing the Hayward EcoStar VS 3400. I asked about the Hayward Tristar VS 950 Omni and this was his response. "For retrofits and only a single relay… once we add the necessary relays, will be more than the Omni 4 and VSP $3400 upgrade."

He is getting frustrated with my requests so I am trying to educate myself as much as possible before responding. He also ended with this "trust what we are doing, or maybe we aren’t the right fit for you." After he recommended the single speed pump and told me a VS wouldn't work in TX, I'm truly struggling to "trust what they are doing" Here are the things I need help with:

1. I don't understand his response about the Tristar VS 950
2. If they are able to offer Hayward products, shouldn't there be more than one option available for variable speed pump?
3. Are there any issues with the EcoStar if that truly is my only choice? I want to be done with this and it is the final piece (they want to dig next week)
4. They want to charge $3200 for the Omni phone automation, seems steep. is it worth it?

He is getting frustrated with my requests so I am trying to educate myself as much as possible before responding. He also ended with this "trust what we are doing, or maybe we aren’t the right fit for you."

I can't help you on your actual question, but this is a huge red flag. I know demand is high, but pool builders are everywhere around here. I would have a tough time giving someone ~$100k of my money if they didnt take the time to answer my legitimate questions and make me comfortable.

Reactions: limasaj and GDN

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.