VS pool pump sizing

Vince34

Apr 19, 2021
Nebraska
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hello, I’m just starting getting our pool dug. We are trying to decide on the size of pool pump we will need. It is a freeform lagoon style pool and will hold around 27000 to 30000 gallons of water. It will have 1.5” pipe with 3 skimmers and 5 returns. We will have pentair equipment and pentair 520 sq ft filter. I’m not certain on pipe footage yet. I basically need to know if I need a 1.5hp or 3hp variable speed pump? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I have the 2.7 hp Hayward Tristar and have been pleased. Moves a lot of water and last I checked was only used f 160 watts
Like Jim said go bigger is it’s in the budget and it’s really hard to oversized a VS pump.

For VS pumps, bigger is usually better. You can always reduce the RPM to fit any pool and plumbing setup. The advantage of a larger VS pump is that for a given flow rate, the RPM will be lower and noise levels will be less. Also, the impeller is larger so it is less likely to get clogged.

Reactions: JamesW
I changed out a 9 year old Intelliflo yesterday to a 2.7hp Hayward Tristar VS pump at my brothers house. He does not have automation or any extra water features. We mainly changed to the Hayward, because the Pentair was out of stock everywhere and the Hayward was basically on sale and in stock. Install was easy and the Hayward pump is great and near silent at lower rpm's. I'd go as far to say that I would have no problem replacing my Pentairs with one, if weren't for the Pentair Easytouch I have that won't communicate with the Hayward pump.

I changed out a 9 year old Intelliflo yesterday to a 2.7hp Hayward Tristar VS pump at my brothers house. He does not have automation or any extra water features. We mainly changed to the Hayward, because the Pentair was out of stock everywhere and the Hayward was basically on sale and in stock. Install was easy and the Hayward pump is great and near silent at lower rpm's. I'd go as far to say that I would have no problem replacing my Pentairs with one, if weren't for the Pentair Easytouch I have that won't communicate with the Hayward pump.
After I had mine up and running I went out a few hours later. The stupid pump wasn’t running and I wasn’t happy. Then as I got 2’ away I still couldn’t hear it but noticed pressure and water moving. It is super quiet.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
After I had mine up and running I went out a few hours later. The stupid pump wasn’t running and I wasn’t happy. Then as I got 2’ away I still couldn’t hear it but noticed pressure and water moving. It is super quiet.
They are also very easy to program. I was tired of being in the direct 90 degree sun, so I left it running at 1725rpm and then called my brother to him to start reading the manual. He has almost no mechanical ability, and I enjoy this stuff, so I have no problem helping with the install. He said he watched a 15 minute youtube video and had it all programmed with no problems in minutes.

Reactions: markayash
Wow thanks for the reply’s everyone I really appreciate it. So it would be the best to get the 3hp instead of the 1.5hp even though I just have a pool and no water features or spa. I’m not sure why my builder installed 1 1/2” pipe but that is what he says he always uses. It is now backfilled, so I guess it is what it is. Does anyone see any problem with the 3hp pump being used with the 1 1/2” pipe. Will that pump be too big for the smaller flow? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow thanks for the reply’s everyone I really appreciate it. So it would be the best to get the 3hp instead of the 1.5hp even though I just have a pool and no water features or spa. I’m not sure why my builder installed 1 1/2” pipe but that is what he says he always uses. It is now backfilled, so I guess it is what it is. Does anyone see any problem with the 3hp pump being used with the 1 1/2” pipe. Will that pump be too big for the smaller flow? Thanks!
I have 1 1/2” in my pool. With the VS you can adjust it down. I keep mine around 1700 rpm’s and filter pressure runs around 4psi. I have a waterfall off the spa our would turn it down more.
When I got my Tristar the 2.7 was only $200 more.

It will have 1.5” pipe with 3 skimmers and 5 returns.
With 3 skimmers, 1.5" will be fine.

2" is the minimum I recommend for suction, but it will be OK.
So it would be the best to get the 3hp instead of the 1.5hp even though I just have a pool and no water features or spa.
Yes. I recommend the IntelliFlo XF over the regular IntelliFlo as long as the price is not a lot more.
I’m not sure why my builder installed 1 1/2” pipe but that is what he says he always uses.
Probably because that's what he learned in 1973 when he started.
Does anyone see any problem with the 3hp pump being used with the 1 1/2” pipe.
No, it will be ok.

You can set the top speed in settings and that will prevent any problems.

I recommend a top speed setting of 2,450 RPM.

For suction, you want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec.

For returns, you want to keep the water velocity below 8 ft/sec.

Suction can go up to 8 feet per second as long as the head loss is not too high.

Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.
1.5"...........38...............51 gpm
2"..............63...............84 gpm
2.5............90.............119 gpm
3.0".........138............184 gpm
4.0"........238.............317 gpm

Going by 6 ft/sec, you can get 38 x 3 = 114 GPM from the skimmers.

Going by 8 ft/sec, you can get 51 x 3 = 153 GPM from the skimmers.

The head loss on the suction lines should be less than 10 feet.

At 40 GPM per skimmer, that's 120 GPM total and 9.4 feet of head loss at 6.5 feet per second.

You can probably run at 20 to 25 GPM total most of the time unless you have a heater, which will require about 40 GPM.

Will you have a heater?

1657459483339.png

Reactions: markayash
For suction, you want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec.

For returns, you want to keep the water velocity below 8 ft/sec.

Suction can go up to 8 feet per second as long as the head loss is not too high.

Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.
1.5"...........38...............51 gpm
2"..............63...............84 gpm
2.5............90.............119 gpm
3.0".........138............184 gpm
4.0"........238.............317 gpm

Going by 6 ft/sec, you can get 38 x 3 = 114 GPM from the skimmers.

Going by 8 ft/sec, you can get 51 x 3 = 153 GPM from the skimmers.

The head loss on the suction lines should be less than 10 feet.

At 40 GPM per skimmer, that's 120 GPM total and 9.4 feet of head loss at 6.5 feet per second.

You can probably run at 20 to 25 GPM total most of the time unless you have a heater, which will require about 40 GPM.

Will you have a heater?

View attachment 434070
Wow thanks James that’s a lot of great information. I believe you are correct on all of your answers, especially the 1973 reference. Yes we will have a 400k propane heater that will need to run early in the year and late as I’m in Nebraska. As far as the pump, if that is your recommendation I will see if I can get that. Price is not a concern really as I would like to get the best one the first time. I would like to stay in the pentair group however. Thanks again!

Yes we will have a 400k propane heater that will need to run early in the year and late as I’m in Nebraska.
The 400,000 btu/hr heater requires a minimum of 40 GPM.

I recommend the IntelliCenter with salt system and subpanel included.

The automation will be able to change the pump speed when the heater comes on.

1657461629198.png

Wow thanks James that’s a lot of great information. I believe you are correct on all of your answers, especially the 1973 reference. Yes we will have a 400k propane heater that will need to run early in the year and late as I’m in Nebraska. As far as the pump, if that is your recommendation I will see if I can get that. Price is not a concern really as I would like to get the best one the first time. I would like to stay in the pentair group however. Thanks again!
Good choice, my first VS was a cheaper brand that failed after 2 years ( I don’t think it was designed for salt ) so bought one of the best this time around and have no regrets.
Still blows my mine how this beast is moving so much water at 165 watts 🤓

The 400,000 btu/hr heater requires a minimum of 40 GPM.

I recommend the IntelliCenter with salt system and subpanel included.

The automation will be able to change the pump speed when the heater comes on.

View attachment 434086
Thanks again James. Would you be able to post some links to where to buy the pump and intellicenter? I have googled both but several versions come up.
Also, with the intellicenter panel, can I feed a stand alone hot tub out of that as well with a breaker? I don’t want it automated I just don’t want to have to run another feed line. Would that panel be large enough for the pump, heater, pool light and a hot tub?

Also, do you have any advice on a pentair led color changing light?

Also, with the intellicenter panel, can I feed a stand alone hot tub out of that as well with a breaker?
1657483167929.png
The load center can handle up to 150 amps.

As long as you size the wiring correctly, the load center should be OK to power the hot tub from a breaker as long as you don't exceed the 150 amp limit and you have enough breakers.

Pentair makes the configuration too complicated.

I don't know how to exactly order their system with all of the overly complex options.

Maybe check with Pentair on the optimal configuration based on what you want.

View attachment 434271
The load center can handle up to 150 amps.

As long as you size the wiring correctly, the load center should be OK to power the hot tub from a breaker as long as you don't exceed the 150 amp limit and you have enough breakers.

Pentair makes the configuration too complicated.

I don't know how to exactly order their system with all of the overly complex options.

Maybe check with Pentair on the optimal configuration based on what you want.
Ok I will see if I can get ahold of them tomorrow. Do you happen to know what the difference between intelliflow XR and the regular intlliflow is? Also was doing some reading on the vsf model. Would that be too much for my needs?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.