Variable speed pump power connection

Just a note. Not sure who installed your Pentair pump, but Pentair requires that the 2010 NEC be followed and a ground-fault circuit breaker be installed with their pump. For their VSP pumps it needs to be a Siemans, not an Eaton. According to our local reps, they will not cover a warranty issue if the proper breaker has not been installed. You can buy the breaker repackaged with the Pentair logo, but it will cost more.

Rob,

I am not sure what is going on.. What does the pump status page you posted before say now that your 24 hour schedule is on?

I have an EasyTouch and not the new IntelliCenter so don't have a good feel for what you screens look like.

Let's see if we can get one of our IntelliCenter owners to chime in. Calling @Turbo1Ton

Edit.. While having a GFCI breaker is a good idea, it has nothing to do with the issues you currently have.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rob,

If the screen on the pump says "display not active" it means that the IntelliCenter is controlling the pump. But, it is possible that the pump is not talking back to the IntelliCenter.

If there was a communication loss you'd think the "Status" page would show it. :scratch:

Show us a pic of the error message so that we can see the whole page.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim R.

Interesting about the comms error. I have never gotten a comms error on my pump, that I know of. I do turn off my pump with the pool button when I need to stop it. I don't use the service mode. There's no reason to enter the service mode in my opinion. If I'm turning the pump off I typically am doing something where I want the breaker off anyway, so it's not like someone can turn it back on accidentally through the automation.

It is quite possible I get that comms error after I turn the pump back on with the pool mode button but I've never noticed it. I do have a 24 hour pump run time scheduled. I guess realistically 23:59, as I have it scheduled to run from 06:00 to 05:59.

--Jeff

Jeff,

You should not be getting any com issues. Usually, it is because the power to the pump is being run through the Pump/Filter relay, when the pump should be getting constant AC power.

What do you get when you look at your pump status page?

Jim R.

Sorry Jim... Misunderstood what you were asking about.

See attached pics. These are all the pump status pages I know of.

--Jeff

Attachments

• General Status Page.JPG
    General Status Page.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Pump Status Page.JPG
    Pump Status Page.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Jimrahbe
Just a note. Not sure who installed your Pentair pump, but Pentair requires that the 2010 NEC be followed and a ground-fault circuit breaker be installed with their pump. For their VSP pumps it needs to be a Siemans, not an Eaton. According to our local reps, they will not cover a warranty issue if the proper breaker has not been installed. You can buy the breaker repackaged with the Pentair logo, but it will cost more.
Thank you I will make sure I get the right equipment

Rob,

If the screen on the pump says "display not active" it means that the IntelliCenter is controlling the pump. But, it is possible that the pump is not talking back to the IntelliCenter.

If there was a communication loss you'd think the "Status" page would show it. :scratch:

Show us a pic of the error message so that we can see the whole page.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim R.
OK so I will show you the screens on the IntelliCenter itself as well as screenshots of my phone. My phone seems to show communication.
The last 2 are cell phone screenshots.
You will also notice when the pump is running only the filter and namely not the booster pump for the Polaris or the heater or the spa it should be at 1100 RPM but it is significantly more at the moment.

Attachments

• 617FB73B-B747-4014-95CA-5EBCC25E49DC.jpeg
    617FB73B-B747-4014-95CA-5EBCC25E49DC.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 5
  • 944E8845-26ED-4154-90ED-7630B5FBD875.jpeg
    944E8845-26ED-4154-90ED-7630B5FBD875.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 3A98B5CA-240C-4843-8D02-E3C9D1536CE2.jpeg
    3A98B5CA-240C-4843-8D02-E3C9D1536CE2.jpeg
    617.3 KB · Views: 5
  • D9EE2E59-CDC6-42DC-87FF-595157833A5B.png
    D9EE2E59-CDC6-42DC-87FF-595157833A5B.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 015DBF78-F6EF-484C-A57B-2A5E1AA34125.png
    015DBF78-F6EF-484C-A57B-2A5E1AA34125.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 5
Rob,

I agree with you that there is an issue. I wish I knew what it was. You are 100% correct that based upon your screenshots the system is in the Pool mode and that the pump should be running at 1100 RPM. When this happens, if the pump's display says "Display not active" I would have to assume that the IntelliCenter is talking to the pump, but the pump is not talking back to the IntelliCenter.

I assume this is a new system and still under warranty, I suggest you call your pool builder or Pentair and have them come look at it.

In the meantime, let's see if @rstrouse has any ideas as to what is going on..

Thanks,

Jim R.

What is the error? If you are getting an error out of the VSF pump when first turning it on then it goes away, I wonder if there is a priming issue with the VSF pump coding in IntelliCenter. The priming is part of the VSF pump and not overridden like the VS and VF pumps are. I do not have a VSF pump but check to see if you have the priming turned on for the pump I am pretty sure IntelliCenter deals with this differently. Perhaps by ramping the pump based upon the differential between RPM and flow.

The other thing that might be related to the BigWaterfall2HP pump you have installed. If this is a single speed pump that is controlled by a relay you should not create it as a pump in IntelliCenter. That Single Speed and even the Dual Speed configuration is for Single Speed and Dual Speed filter pumps. It is not for auxiliary or feature pumps. There are some body control features in the programming that deal with the SS and DS pumps during timing delays when you turn on a cleaner circuit or solar is engaged. The docs will run you in circles over the function but basically it creates a delay on the connected pumps to ensure there is proper body flow before turning them on. Disregard the prior paragraph if the pump is controlled over RS485.

So if you have a booster pump set up the Aux circuit as Master Cleaner and it will delay the start of the pump for a few minutes after the pool pump has engaged to allow the cleaner pump to prime before starting it. That pump however should also not be added as a single speed pump.

Not knowing your complete setup but taking some guesses do these things.
1. Remove the BigWaterfall2HP pump if it is not controlled via RS485 (VS, VF, or VSF).
2. Change the Aux circuit function to Master Cleaner for the booster pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the error? If you are getting an error out of the VSF pump when first turning it on then it goes away, I wonder if there is a priming issue with the VSF pump coding in IntelliCenter. The priming is part of the VSF pump and not overridden like the VS and VF pumps are. I do not have a VSF pump but check to see if you have the priming turned on for the pump I am pretty sure IntelliCenter deals with this differently. Perhaps by ramping the pump based upon the differential between RPM and flow.

The other thing that might be related to the BigWaterfall2HP pump you have installed. If this is a single speed pump that is controlled by a relay you should not create it as a pump in IntelliCenter. That Single Speed and even the Dual Speed configuration is for Single Speed and Dual Speed filter pumps. It is not for auxiliary or feature pumps. There are some body control features in the programming that deal with the SS and DS pumps during timing delays when you turn on a cleaner circuit or solar is engaged. The docs will run you in circles over the function but basically it creates a delay on the connected pumps to ensure there is proper body flow before turning them on. Disregard the prior paragraph if the pump is controlled over RS485.

So if you have a booster pump set up the Aux circuit as Master Cleaner and it will delay the start of the pump for a few minutes after the pool pump has engaged to allow the cleaner pump to prime before starting it. That pump however should also not be added as a single speed pump.

Not knowing your complete setup but taking some guesses do these things.
1. Remove the BigWaterfall2HP pump if it is not controlled via RS485 (VS, VF, or VSF).
2. Change the Aux circuit function to Master Cleaner for the booster pump.
OK so I deleted the single speed pump and left it as a aux generic feature. As I press the button for waterfall it goes on and off., seems to work fine .
There is no control cable or RS485 to it.
I disconnected the 485 cable then reset the variable speed pump to factory settings because I had programmed it before I connected the cable and I wanted to make sure I didn’t have any conflicting values . I made sure it was program one as default and then reconnected the cable.
Whenever intelliflo VSF turns on it primes just fine.

additional
I’m almost sorry I changed two variables (removed single speed waterfall from pumps and reset vsf)
but that said it seems to be working great right now, running at 1100 and showing speed with no error message. i’ll let it run through its schedule and check back tomorrow and see if I have any error messages or other issues. Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Is this the breaker that I want to use? Is the one I have now Eaton?
this is Siemens and Dual pole (20 amp each like I have now) with GFCI and says it’s for spas etc
i’ll have my electrician install it but I want to make sure I get the part and get it right.

Attachments

• 4F0C0B08-8B24-4FE3-B10D-F0F7F0661C99.jpeg
    4F0C0B08-8B24-4FE3-B10D-F0F7F0661C99.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 8
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.