Vac Port fitting?

Feb 6, 2013
Jupiter, Florida
Odd little question here...moved to a new house with new to me pool. My old pool had a Hayward XL cleaner and a vac port fitting with a spring to close it. However, I could pull the cleaner hose out of the fitting and flip the lid on the vac port all the way back past 90 degrees and it would stay open while I did whatever. My new pool has a Pentair Dorado and a spring loaded vac port fitting that will only open 90 degrees. If I stop holding it the thing immediately closes and then I have to go turn the pump off to get it back open. I want to replace it with one that opens and stays open past 90 degrees. I've searched online but can't find any mention of that feature. Only that it is a vac port for whatever pool cleaner. Does anyone know which I can buy that will stay open when I want it to?!?! Also, are these standard size/thread or do I have to get a particular model that fits a Pentair Dorado?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply. At least there is an explanation. Not sure how someone could get sucked into a vac port but I guess hair, little fingers, just like the main drain. I will say that I am amazed at the amount of suction into the port. Just that it would be nice to more easily pull the vac off while adults are floating around. I did cut the fitting off the end of one of my spare hoses and have been using that to keep it open on a temp basis so, right or wrong, I guess I will just keep doing that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.