Using concrete as a filler between coping and concrete deck

dcini111

Mar 25, 2021
houston
My contractor who is resurfacing my pool snd retiling it asked me if i wanted to fill the increasing gap between the coping and concrete pebble gravel deck. This pool is over 25 years old and the coping gap has widened over time as the deck settled and pulled away.
I did some online research and apparently it’s recommended to put backer tod in the gaps and fill them with a polyeurathane caulk material.
Before I could speak with him, he filled the gaps with concrete. Is this ok? What is the impact on my pool? I live in Houston where the temps reach 90-100 degrees consistently. Will this damage the pool?
Hes charging me $300 to do this but doesnt look like it took very long?

Welcome to TFP.

No, that is not ok. That gap was your pool expansion joint. It is there to allow your pool to move independently of the deck. Without the expansion joint the deck can put pressure on the coping and bond beam and you will get cracks in the bond beam or tile or coping stones.

Every year we see people asking why their coping and tile are cracking when their expansion joint was not maintained.

You should have the concrete dug out and the expansion joint restored with flexible mastic.

Welcome to TFP.

No, that is not ok. That gap was your pool expansion joint. It is there to allow your pool to move independently of the deck. Without the expansion joint the deck can put pressure on the coping and bond beam and you will get cracks in the bond beam or tile or coping stones.

Every year we see people asking why their coping and tile are cracking when their expansion joint was not maintained.

You should have the concrete dug out and the expansion joint restored with flexible mastic.

thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.