Urgent - Please advice on how to bypass the filtration temporary?

newbie_pool

Oct 30, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, I am currently waiting for the new clamp for my Pentair Clean and Clear Plus filter because our current is bad, hence we couldn’t tighten it at the moment. The new part won’t arrive here until Tuesday. Meanwhile, can I bypass the filter to run the pump so the water can be circulated? If so, any advice on how I can do it? If not, can I not running anything until then? It’s Saturday night now so it would be 3 days before we can get the part. Is running the robot vacuum enough? Greatly appreciated.

adding liquid chlorine and running the robot will work perfect.. You can also spend 10 minutes brushing the pool after adding chlorine and it will do the same thing :)

Chlorine is a consumable item for the pool. Most pools go through 2 to 4 ppm of chlorine daily during the swim season, depending on the climate and how much sun the pool gets during the day. So, you have to replace that chlorine or you will find your pool will start to get cloudy or even start turning green from the algae.

We’ve been using Pentair chlorinator with chlorine tablets but because I have to shut down the pump, I guess I have to use liquid chlorine until I can operate the pump again?

yes, liquid chlorine will be needed.. The problem being without knowing your CYA level we do not know how much to add every day... How many gallons is your pool.. I "think" you should be good dumping 1 gallon of liquid chlorine in your pool but it depends on the size/gallons and what your CYA level is...

FC/CYA Levels

PoolMath

I went to Leslie and they tested our water. For some reason, according to them, our CYA is extremely high. It’s 173 ppm compared to their recommended range 30-100 ppm. Total chlorine was 15. Is it high as they said it is? Does this mean I don’t need to add any liquid chlorine then? And just need to run the robot? We have been using chlorinator for years but didn’t realize it’s so high. I thought it’s usually the other way around.

Pool store testing is about as bad as it gets... Your CYA may be that high but who knows.. You really need to take control of your pool and get a test kit so we can see what your actually at... Test Kits Compared

PoolMath is saying to drop your CYA to 50 you need to drain 70% of your water..

AT CYA of 100 your FC needs to be 13.. at 175 it probably needs to be 20 fc for normal use...

Your best bet would be to empty at least half your water but that depends on what pool you have.. Please fill out your signature with all your pool and equipment info (like mine below), it makes it easier to answer questions.. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.