Upgrading old equipment

rgraves08

May 18, 2020
Indiana
I'm planning to upgrade some of my older pool equipment this spring, looking for some feedback to see if i'm on the right path or if better options are available.

Use: We swim daily and like warmer water 78-82f.
Pool Size: 18-38 oval inground, 4ft shallow to 10ft deep (27,000gal?)
Plumbing: Center drain in the deep end and skimmer on the side, 1.5in pipe, 2 Jets on the sides feed by 1 - 1.5 pipe at pump pad. Additional 1.5 line previously used for a booster cleaner. Switched to a robot last year. Currently this line is also sending water to the pool as i re plumbed it after taking out the booster.
Pump: Generic Doheny 1.5hp standard pump
Heater: Pentair 250 Natrual Gas - Died this Spring, was 9 years old.
Filter: 200sqft Doheny cartridge filter - New 2 years ago when i replaced the sand filter that started to leak.
Electrical Panel: Old Aquadyne Mini-Pak, Breaker for the pump and Heater, also timer for the removed booster

Upgrade Ideas:
Pump: Pentair SuperFlo VS
Heater: RayPak Heat Pump 8450 - 140k BTU (We like to swim daily, thinking the heat pump is a better option than another NG heater)
Filter: Keep what i have unless its not the right size?
Electrical: I'll need more power for the heat pump, I don't think i need anything fancy. Just a panel/breaker for the pump and another for the heat pump?

I'm thinking about taking the line that was used for the booster pump and removing it from the existing pumping. Then setting up a irrigation timer to auto fill the pool. There wouldn't be additional pressure on this line, so seemed like a good option. but I'm wonder if there is move value in keeping it as a line back to the pool for more water throughput?

Thanks for any ideas.

Here ya go :)

Pump: keep origin pump and get a V green VS motor (call and make sure round or square motor) Variable Speed Pool Pump Motors - INYOPools.com

heater: get a great one, the raypak is not.. Use the saving from your pump to get the better heater... :)
Here is a VS 2 speed heat pump: HeatWave SuperQuiet® Variable Speed SQ150VS - AquaCal Website
these are normal heat pumps: HeatWave SuperQuiet® | AquaCal Swimming Pool Heat Pump

Electric: need at least 60 amp just for the heater...

new return line is a great idea, more flow less pressure and VS is MONEY in the bank :)

get a salt or SCS seal kit for your pump rebuild... (inyo has these also)

Hope this helps..

Attachments

• Use-The-Right-Seal-For-Your-Pool-and-Spa-Pumps.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 5
Casey,

Thanks for the input, that other heatpump is about $1,400 more. I thought i was reading folks like the RayPak. What does the AquaCAl do better, the VS aspect of it seems interesting as it would save some money.

Not to contrdict Casey about, I believe the Raypack gas heaters are well thought of. I think your current gas heater is far undersized for your sized pool. You're right that for constant heat over booster times of heat, a Heat Pump is better.
I would still weigh the cost to heat between NG and electric.... I don't know how Indiana prices are though.

Your filter is kinda small by my thoughts. Adequate, but requires far more often cleaning than larger sized filters. Your call.

I like the idea of leaving that extra return open instead. Just as protection if you ever have a problem with the other lines. You can also have a bit of fun and throw a home made fountain in there for fun (and aeration if you ever want to raise your pH a bit). See Skippy's fountain in my signature line for a fountain idea.

Maddie

Well, do you *have to* clean your filter weekly based on filter rise of at least 20-25%? Or is it just habit?
Here at TFP they've realized that a *slightly* dirty filter works a bit better.

Yes a larger filter would allow you to clean it less often. But we still advise only cleaning when your pressure gauge shows reason.

Maddie :flower:

A bigger filter is way better, I clean mine once a year :) I have the clean and clear 320, never raises over 10%, starts at 14 PSI in Mar and gets to 15/16 PSI by Nov

@YippeeSkippy I think the gas ones are better than the heat pumps... The aquacall heat pumps we just hardly ever get anyone coming here asking how to fix them, the raypack and then pentair are always asking how to get them working :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.