Upgraded to Pentair Panel

finethreads

Bronze Supporter
Feb 14, 2014
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Hello everyone, I haven’t been on the forum for a while. I am traveling over the summer visiting family and friends. Right now I am in the Palm Springs area visiting my sister. She recently purchased a home with a pool. The pool had a Hayward Aqualogic system. She wanted a better control panel as well as screenlogic so she had her pool maintenance guy install a Pentair Easytouch 4.

I’m not liking the install at all. It looks like he reused the old Hayward control box as a breaker/junction box. I know that it works, but it’s a little sloppy looking. Lastly, he never hooked up the SWG. Well, I guess he couldn’t because it was Hayward and incompatible with Pentair. So he has been using chlorine pucks. My sister thought she had a functioning salt water pool, but does not.

I would like to get rid of the Hayward box and use a smaller breaker box. Then replace the unused Hayward swg cell with a Pentair cell I also think she should replace her pool guy.

Attachments

• 480CC968-4444-4EEA-97F0-9411FB208D72.jpeg
    480CC968-4444-4EEA-97F0-9411FB208D72.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 49
  • ECD41BC4-0605-42F2-B679-FF3B4664D9C5.jpeg
    ECD41BC4-0605-42F2-B679-FF3B4664D9C5.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 50F6413D-8CC4-4BF6-9124-A53DA966C267.jpeg
    50F6413D-8CC4-4BF6-9124-A53DA966C267.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 8AC78514-B5C1-4E45-821B-2B199EAF67EA.jpeg
    8AC78514-B5C1-4E45-821B-2B199EAF67EA.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 42
FT,

I am assuming that the original controller and T-Cell still work, it is just not being controlled by the ET... If this is true, you can sometimes connect the ET to the Hayward system and control the T-15 cell.. Basically you just connect a 4-wire cable between the ET com port and Hayward com port... See this Fine Tuning an SWG

The real problem is that the ET your pool guy installed is a "lite" version of the ET and it has no Load Center, so there is no place to move the circuit breakers..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hmm... I do agree that it's not the nicest looking setup, but as Jim pointed out they should have gotten an EasyTouch with a load center!!

I've got an Intellitouch (with a built-in load center) and an Aquarite salt generator (same as what's in your sister's panel I think?) right next to it. The two boxes don't make for the prettiest config but it works fine - and I never bothered to hook it up to my Intellitouch. My pump is an Intelliflo so is always powered, and a pump relay turns on the salt cell only when the pump is running. I bet you could do the same thing with her setup... the alternative is to spend a bunch of $$$ on a new load center and an Intellichlor. If you go that route, don't toss that T-15! ;)

Tom

Thank you Jim and Tom for your thoughts on my problem.

The pool man came over. We looked over the panel setup. I asked him why they used the old panel as a load center. He said they did it that way so that we could continue using the Aquaright salt cell. I pointed out that the cell was not working, no salt in pool and chlorine pucks in the skimmer basket.

He didn’t really have an explanation for not using the swg. I asked him to put salt in the pool and to get the swg working using the old panel. We will see if it actually works. I hope so. So now I am trying to figure out how to cleanup the setup. Here are my thoughts:

Get a nice load center to handle 4 breakers and replace the Hayward panel altogether.
Get a separate controller for the existing salt cell. I think the cell might have quite a bit of life in it.
When the cell dies, replace it with a Pentair and tie it into the Pentair panel and Screenlogic. .

ft,

While not pretty, I'd just use the original Hayward panel and tie it into the EasyTouch's com port...

Simple and cheap. If it works great, if not you have not lost anything be a little four wire cable..

Jim R.

Hi Jim, my pool man may not know how to connect the Hayward to the easy touch. Can you explain in a little more detail? Thanks!

ft,

Did you read this link?? Fine Tuning an SWG

It shows the cable and what pins (colors) need to be connected between the com port in the Aqualogic and the EasyTouch.

Once connected, then go to the EasyTouch and select.. Menu, Settings, IntelliChlor, set enable to yes..

Since you have the lite version you might try the enable first.. If working it should bring up a screen on your ScreenLogic that looks like this..

View media item 1963
Thanks,

Jim R.

Well, I took a look at both panels today. Here are pictures of both comm ports. The Hayward comm port is just four pins. It looks like it is missing a screw block. I wonder if that is something I can locate or is there another way to attach the 4 wire to the pins?

Attachments

• 9A20D384-90BC-4AD1-8B2C-DD2EA631480B.jpeg
    9A20D384-90BC-4AD1-8B2C-DD2EA631480B.jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 943A5C3E-19B4-4415-8B93-FE05707270E5.jpeg
    943A5C3E-19B4-4415-8B93-FE05707270E5.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I picked up the connectors from PartsExpress. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! Great deal. I got everything hooked up according to the above linked directions. When I opened up the screenlogic APP there is no communication with the Chlorinator. Under Delays and Alerts I see Chlorinator Lost Communication. Went to the AquaLogic panel and the chlorinator is off. I had a new pool service company come out to look at it and they think that the cell or panel are suspect. They will take the cell into the pool shop and have it tested next week.

Now if the Aqualogic cell or panel are bad, I am again looking at what to do about getting the SWG up and running. Will a regular IC40 integrate with my Pentair
EasyTouch PL4/PSL4

Hi Jim, yes I did check the "chlorinator present" box in Screenlogic. I am starting to think that the panel is not working properly. Right now the readout on the panel is in nonstop scrolling through all the settings, i.e. time, heat, date, salt, etc. I have tried resetting the breaker, but no luck.

I am only going to be here a few more days so I am looking to figure out the best option to get my sister's SWG up and running again. I found her a new pool maintenance service and I have asked them to price out a stand alone Pentair SWG or one that we can integrate into our existing Pentair panel. Thoughts? Thanks for all your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.