Underwater light features as an alternative to pool light.

Hi, my pool specs in my sig are up to date. We bought the house with the pool already built. We discovered after purchase that the pool was installed by the previous owners... themselves. Well, many things were not done the way we would like. For example, we discovered they used construction sand in the sand filter. I guess that explains why it never seemed to work quite right. We fixed that. The concrete decking around the pool is much too narrow... that is a project for the future. Right now, I would love to swim at night but the previous owners did not install a pool light. They said it would only attract bugs. We live out in the country in the woods and they may be right but I still want to swim after dark. Since we have found various critters in the pool in the mornings, things like frogs, a snapping turtle and snakes, we really want a light that enables us to see in the pool. I get scared if I can't see what I am swimming with. Anyway, my question is this: Does anyone have any suggestions for a safe underwater light that is bright enough to light up our 16 x 32 inground pool? Thank you in advance.

The time to install pool lights is when you put in a new liner.

Can you put some overhead lights around the pool to light it up?

Last edited:
The time to install pool lights is when you put in a new liner.

Can you puit some overhead lighst around the pool to light it up?
We probably could but the pool is inground and there is no electricity running underground to the end where the pool light should be. Also, it is my understanding that a pool liner lasts 10+ years. Ours is only 2.5 years old. The idea of digging out the end of the pool on the outside is daunting, especially since we have no idea how the built the darn thing.

I'm in a similar boat. Old pool, newer liner, no lights.

I did recently switch from a pressure side vac to a robot, so I was thinking about trying to use the wall fitting to add a niche-less light.

I'm with you! It only took one nighttime encounter with a snake in the pool to make me turn the light on!

There was this on Amazon Amazon.com : Intex Floating LED Pool Light, Solar Powered with Auto-On at Night : Garden & Outdoor there are a few other options as well, but something like this would probably be pretty quick and easy.
thanks, I will check out the floating light. My biggest fear is the copperheads. I saw a video of one eating a fish in a river. lol - then a few weeks ago we had one in the house. Yes, a copperhead in the house at 1am is enough to freak anyone out. Ack! It has been so wet here this summer that we see about 3 snakes a week, though not all poisonous. We are in Missouri.

check this out - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Simply-Sha...IJlb7WoozG1GpguNU6waAsF2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I've been using an umbrella like this for years to keep my pool temp down in the summer. The LED lights are surprisingly bright and really lit the pool up at night. Word of caution though, don't depend on the solar charger to keep it charged, mine has since quit working and I have no idea what I did with the plug that came with it. It lasted a week plus of nights though before it lost power. Good luck

Get yourselves a FrogLog at least, to help those small rodents and critters that fall in the water to get out. After we got ours we never find floating "livestock" (as I call 'em) in the pool or skimmer.

Maddie :flower:

Just a safety note if you go for flood lighting, outlet receptacles for general use can be no closer than 20 feet from a pool or in-ground spa if they are not GFCI-protected, and no closer than 6 feet away if they are GFCI protected.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.