Two identical pumps - one ramps up to max RPM before going to set point and one goes to set point?

MCF50

Aug 18, 2020
Houston
I have two identical pentair VFD pumps. One is for pool/hot tub/bubblers and one is for shear descents. When I turn my shear descents on the pump ramps up to the set point of 1900rpm. When I turn the other pump on it goes to maximum rpm (3400) and then comes back to set point. The issue with this is if everything is off and I turn on my bubblers they shoot up about 7' before the pump comes back to 1400rpm. Now as much as the kids like this I am afraid I'm gonna greak something!!! I have looked on the pump control panel while in maintenance mode and on the panel itself and cannot find anything to adjust this...thoughts????

What specific model number pumps? Model numbers are on the silver label on the side of the pump.

The pump has setting for if it should auto prime and at what RPM and for how long. I would check those settings.

I think the Pentair IntelliFlo VSF is model number 011056.

What Pentair automation do you have? Check your automation priming setting.

Double Priming with VS Pumps and Automation​

VS pumps like the Pentair IntelliFlo have their own internal priming cycle. The pump can sense when it is primed and stop the priming cycle. The pump control panel has priming settings.

Pentair automation like the EasyTouch and IntelliCenter also have priming settings.

With the Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump having priming settings, and the ET or IntelliCenter having priming settings, neither one overrides the other. They both run, first the pump's internal prime routine, then the ET's or IntelliCenter. Unless the user is smart enough to change that.

The shortest time the ET or IntelliCenter prime can run is 1 minute, and it doesn't know whether the pump is primed or not; it just runs for the specified time. On the other hand, the pump itself can realize it's primed in 3 seconds. You can set the prime time on the ET to 0 minutes and the pump will no longer noisily and unnecessarily prime for a minute

Thanks. I have the IntelliCenter and for the life of me cannot find any type of pump settings. They just be hidden somewhere. Any help would be great. I feel that since both settings on the actual pump are identical it has to be something with a panel settings.

This is from my manual for Pentair VS-11028. I disabled prime completely. I don't have automation, but this section described the process for disabling prime with automation.

When the IntelliFlo® Variable Speed Pump is connected
to an automation control system, (IntelliTouch®,
EasyTouch® or SunTouch® Control Systems), the
priming feature on the pump cannot be disabled
by the external automation control system only. It
must also be disabled on the pump itself.

If priming is enabled on start up, the pump responds
to its internal settings before responding to commands
from an automation control system.

If the pump is connected to an automation control
system and priming is not desired, disable the
priming feature on both the pump and the
automation control system.

To disable priming with an automation system:
1. Disable the priming feature on the automation
control system at the load center or using an
IntelliTouch or EasyTouch system remote. (Refer
to the automation control system user’s guide for
additional information).
2. Temporarily disconnect the RS-485 communication
cable.
3. Open the lid to the control panel to disable priming
on the pump. Press Menu, use the arrow buttons to
scroll and select “Priming”, then select “Disabled”
(the factory default is set to “Enabled”). Press Enter
to save the setting. Press Escape to exit the menu.
4. Once priming is disabled, reinstall the RS-485
communication cable.

Outstanding. Thank you. I will try when I get home. Now the big question. Is priming required? I would think the only time priming is required is upon system start-up after u have lost prime but I could be wrong.

I have not been able to find anything about turning off the priming feature in the automation, in any of the Intellicenter literature. Please post up if you are able to find this. I would like to only have the pump's internal priming feature enabled.

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have not been able to find anything about turning off the priming feature in the automation, in any of the Intellicenter literature. Please post up if you are able to find this. I would like to only have the pump's internal priming feature enabled.

--Jeff
It appears that an Intelliflo VS pump does have priming control within Intellicenter. But if you have a VSF or VF pump, priming control is not available within Intellicenter. You must go to the pump menu, when disconnected from the automation, to set the priming time, speed, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCF50
@Rocket J Squirrel reported the double priming problem with his ET.

It appears that an Intelliflo VS pump does have priming control within Intellicenter. But if you have a VSF or VF pump, priming control is not available within Intellicenter. You must go to the pump menu, when disconnected from the automation, to set the priming time, speed, etc.
Which leads back to my question. Why do two identical pumps with the exact same settings on tbe pump panel start differently?

Confirm you have a 011056 pump. If you do then disconnect the RS-485 cable and follow the directions below...

7E7E4ACE-A306-4907-BBE5-A33D2579BB20.png

Confirm you have a 011056 pump. If you do then disconnect the RS-485 cable and follow the directions below...

View attachment 313743
Thank you. Yes, I know how to follow the directions you have provided. Thank you! I know how to turn off priming at the pump as I have done it to test. Two questions 1. Is this safe - turning priming off. 2. AGAIN, if I have two identical pumps with the EXACT same settings on the pump why does one ramp up to 3400 rpm upon start up regardless of feature and the other only ramps up to the set speed of the feature. No one seems to be able to answe this one question.

I think the pump basket may be filling at a different rate between the two pumps.

The priming feature increases the pump speed to 1800 RPM and pauses for three (3) seconds. If there is sufficient water flow in the pump basket, the pump will go out of priming mode and run its commanded speed.

If the water flow is not sufficient, the pump speed will increase to the “Priming Speed” setting and remain for the priming delay time (default 20 seconds). If there is sufficient water flow in the pump basket at this time, it will exit priming mode and transition to the commanded speed.

911F05C9-9D53-4EDA-8780-291F5F5A1437.png

Reactions: MCF50
I think the pump basket may be filling at a different rate between the two pumps.

The priming feature increases the pump speed to 1800 RPM and pauses for three (3) seconds. If there is sufficient water flow in the pump basket, the pump will go out of priming mode and run its commanded speed.

If the water flow is not sufficient, the pump speed will increase to the “Priming Speed” setting and remain for the priming delay time (default 20 seconds). If there is sufficient water flow in the pump basket at this time, it will exit priming mode and transition to the commanded speed.

View attachment 313759
Thank you. That makes sense....the sheer descent wall is much higher than "it's" pump so water is literally being pushed back to the pump when it's not running. The pool pump sits higher than the pool. So based on this should I mess with priming speed/time of the pool pump or leave it enabled at 3400rpm? It sounds like turning priming off for the pool pump is not a good idea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.