Two bids for new pool construction

Update... rebar done, plumbing happening today, don’t have a finished rebar pic but here’s one in the middle...
1578433397576.jpeg
And fun stuff! Picked out tile and stone today! Picture taken on sidewalk outside showroom to see them in natural light...
Wall - silver travertine 3x2 (in front of vertical tile)
Coping - haze travertine
Exterior raised spa - haze travertine 2x1 (begins vertical tile)

1578433553348.jpeg
Also pictured are the waterline tile and tile for steps and sun ledge. We aren’t going to tile the bench because it’s so long and not in an area where anyone should be jumping.

So pictured are also a couple plaster options. I’m in favor of the dark, husband likes the light. Builder originally pulled out Lagoon but it was even darker. Thoughts on the two brands of plaster and light vs dark?

It’s really coming together!

Light plaster shows less mottling and color issues. Dark plaster often does not have one consistent color to it. Have the right expectations for the uniformity of the color.

You will find lots to read on how to get a quality plaster job and problems that can occur here...

Last edited:
Reactions: CarolineOK
That is what I would pick out as well. I would pick the grout for the tile NOT the plaster color as the plaster color will be so different once water is in the pool. Where the tile and grout will "stand" alone as some of it is above the water.

Kim:kim:

LOVE your choices as well!

My eye immediately went to the dark finish. We did a dark grey liner in our pool, which I love, but I know zilch about plaster.

Does anyone have any feedback on our plaster choices? I keep going around in circles...
1. River Roc (a pebble finish) emerald black as is
2. River Roc emerald black a shade or two lighter to be more gray (would be custom)
3. Dove gray diamond Brite (quartz)

There’s no increase in cost to us so bang for the buck wise it would be nice to to the River Roc, especially since it seems to have a 10 yr warranty. It would be nice to do the slightly lighter customization but that makes me nervous as if we needed to match down the road it seems unlikely. I’m also not sure about a pebble finish, I’ve never swam in one so not sure if it would be too rough. Originally I wanted a darker plaster (like this one), but had two pool people (not TFPers) tell me that the dark shows salt deposits and can look murky.

The diamond Brite dove gray seems like a safe choice. I may always wonder if I would have liked the dark but can feel confident that I won’t hate or regret the gray vs the dark/pebble. But it’s a cheaper option when it doesn’t change our price and it doesn’t have the longer warranty.

Thanks for any additional advice! We’ve passed inspection and our pipes are pressurized waiting for shotcrete on Wednesday :)

Make sure to reference post 82 above from Allen. The links he shared will help you have the best plaster outcome. The plaster looks will come down to the skill of the people touching it but you can help make it the best possible by letting them know you know what is what.........."We better do a good job as they know what they are talking about and are watching us". Some yummy food and drinks go a long way in good will as well!

Shotcrete happened today! Those guys are artists, really amazing. Tile next week and deck after that. Really, really, really ready for the patio because my yard looks like WWI with all the trenches...
1579141862962.jpeg

1579142598925.jpeg
The finger ledge goes all the way along the wall even behind the bench which is going to be a convenient drink ledge too :). We’re trying to think of options for the top of the ledge. The PB and I both think ideally it would be bullnose travertine like the coping, but my PB has expressed concern for the cost of that so we’ll see.

We also decided to do the diamond Brite Dove Gray (which is the same as French Gray). I misunderstood our PB, he can do a few shades darker on the quartz to be in between the two but not lighter on the pebble. Possibly he was using the pebble as a color swatch rather than a different finish, the River Roc was listed in the store’s catalog as special order and I know our contract says quartz. Ultimately we felt that was the safest option and least likely to frustrate us later as well as not something we wanted to fight with PB or pay more for.

So far we’re really really happy with how everything is going :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, I can’t believe it’s been so long since I’ve posted. Life (and the world) has been crazy. We got held up by some weather but we have tile, decking, and a well. This week we’re getting landscaping stone around the deck to prevent drainage into the pool and running the well water in preparation for plaster (next week unless weather is an issue). OK is on essential services only but so far that includes construction and landscaping services.

So my question is what test kit to get and what supplies? The pool co is doing our maintenance for a year, and I asked about kits and he said there were several so I thought I’d just get what we needed. And isn’t there a brush for the plaster? And we’re buying the electric vacuum, I think I remember I call a company directly?

Thanks so much! I’ll try to post a recent pic in a bit :)

Here is your shopping list:

TF-100 Start Up (TF-100 kit, Speedstir, Skimmer Angel, Wall Whale brush) notice this one includes the best plaster brush. This brush will save your back and shoulders.

For the robot cleaner CALL on the phone: Marina Pool, Spa & Patio

Look for a good source of liquid chlorine in your area. Some pool stores have it. Some people use the "pool shock" from Walmart. PLAIN bleach is also used. Look to see what you can find and get to in your area.

I also want to let you know you will get a discount on the test kit if you become a TFP supporter as seen here: Become a TFP Supporter - Trouble Free Pool You get a discount and help us keep the servers feed!

Another picture update... waiting on plaster to finish curing (it’s been 2.5 weeks) before first swim...
1591534813710.jpeg
Question, PB mentioned acid washing, there’s a few streaks in plaster in the pool, and one scratch in the spa. Is that something that is routinely done? Does it help?

So ready to be done and swimming!

PB said plaster needs 2-4 weeks to cure, scratches or pressure before then could cause issues. And later wants to acid wash to remove more of the surface. And after plaster it got water added ASAP. We did have some light rain before it was totally full (there was zero in forecast when scheduled and on day of, came in next day, argh).

If they do an acid wash most of the time it is before they add water. They can do one after if you want them to BUT (knew that was coming didn't ya?) it does remove some of the plaster so...........it could shorten the overall life of the plaster. It may pretty it up some so...........pick your wishes.

So raining when filling isn't an issue, it actually probably is a good thing, depending on your fill water chemistry. Worst case is like me where I was measuring fill volume while filling, and I eventually find out that I got about a thousand gallons of rainwater for free.

And not being able to swim in it? Once the chlorine is in, swim. That is almost cruel. Yes the plaster is going to be more sensitive to damage the first month, but unless you are going to have a series of parties.. Just be careful (for a couple of months). What you need to be more concerned with is water balance in the beginning but you are here, so you should not have issues with it. Enjoy, it's a beautiful pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.