Two bids for new pool construction

Hmmm, we were out of town for 2 weeks after getting it in, and they were brushing and doing the chemicals, so I’m not sure what’s going on. It wasn’t really a priority since we weren’t supposed to be swimming but now I’m thinking I’ll get on it!

We already hooked up the whale tale and skimmer basket handle though, super helpful!

Any way to get a scratch out of the plaster? It’s like a keyed car on the seat in the spa. Not really noticeable if you’re looking down, unless it’s been pointed out, but you can feel it.

Also what about dogs in the pool? We have a doodle who loves the water so he’s staying with grandma and grandpa now that we’re back in town. PB was worried about nail gauges in sun ledge. When should it be safe for him to have access?

Dogs are fine. This is a big part of the reason to have your own private pool. You'll see the hair in the skimmer and pump basket, but.. Meh
.. It's worth it. Unless you dog is a chicken like our three are...

As for the scratch... Depends. You never have a perfect plaster job, unfortunately and you will always see it. No one else will nor will they care.

For the dog make sure to use these hair nets like these: Amazon.com: 100 PCS--21", Disposable Bouffant (Hair Net) Caps, Spun-Bounded Poly, Hair Head Cover Net, Non-Woven, Medical, Labs, Nurse, Tattoo, Food Service, Health, Hospital: Health & Personal Care Or you can get washable skimmer socks from Lowes.

If you keep the dog's nails trimmed they can have as much pool time as they want. Do you know how to drimel them? I use a sand paper barrel to do my dogs nails. They are so much smoother than just clipping. I can help you with getting the dogs used to using a drimel on them.

Kim:kim:

I view the scratches in my plaster from my dogs the same way I view the scratches my kids made on furniture or molding over the years. They are reminders of the things I love. Some I fix, but mainly I just let them be. Now I wasn't as happy about the long scratches around the van the rainy day they rode their bikes in the garage and the handlebar grip was missing from the end of one of their bikes. :mad: That was only about 15 years ago.

I think most of the plaster scratches came from the dog's early swimming days when they thought the pool was trying to keep that trapped in it. And yes, if were were better about trimming them, it may have been no issue at all.

And amen to hairnets! Though you won't be able to use the skimmer basket handles so far as I know.

my skimmer sock goes in and the handle snaps in the sides over the fabric just fine.

no way to use the long ones though that clip down into the center of the skimmer.

maddie
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. Skimmer Angel I believe is one brand.

That is one of the absolute "Great things" about having the Paramount floor system (again, agree to disagree-- I love mine contrary to TFP guidelines) with the Venturi skimmer... the Skimmer Angel and a really nice bag is basically part of the design of the Paramount skimmer from the factory... so even though I bought that stuff, I didn't need it with that skimmer and basket-- it's built in. But If it weren't I would convert it with the Skimmer Angel and the filter bags in a heartbeat. I swear it's keeping the pump basket and filter cleaner. As long as you clean it out every two weeks or so... you are good that way. I highly recommend it dogs or not...

I'd do it on my detached hot tub, but the manufacturer of that has what they call a "first filter" that does the same function as the sock on the filter by placing a linear cloth like "sheet" filter over the top of the cylindrical cartridge. They supposed to be replaced every three months, but the first one lasted a year until it just fell apart one day! :) These are more expensive than socks at about $11/ea off of ebay.. but every 9-12 months.. meh.... But why they aren't part of the standard design of all skimmers I don't know!

We swam yesterday! This was everyone waiting to jump in!
1591706795175.jpeg
PB guys came yesterday to check chemicals, really high pH still so added acid. We waited several hours for dad to get home from work so he wouldn’t miss it and had a great time! Everything was just as we hoped... finger ledge for deep end with wall, cannonball competitions off wall, sun ledge and convenient benches, and eventually dad and I migrated to spa to watch from above. We’re still waiting on light hook-ups and SWG. And we still don’t know how to work the automation from our phones. Since we were gone for 2 weeks PB just handled everything.

I asked them and haven’t heard but how long should the acid they added yesterday be good for? Assuming we’re good to keep swimming... they said high ph was from plaster and use of well water. And it’s a giant pool. Since we used a well we couldn’t get a meter reading

Dog is a doodle so doesn’t shed much thankfully. But if we’re in water he can’t stay out! I’m a vet, so I can get his nails done, but only take off so much. I think we’ll bring home this week, Wed is 3 weeks which PB said was biggest risk time. We do have the long slimmer handle that came with our TFP bundle attached to the basket unfortunately/fortunately.

Thanks for feedback and advice!!

I am SO happy to hear you were able to get in!!!! :swim: glad the finger ledge worked just like we wanted it to!

The pH is going to be your biggest worry for now. It could be 3 months or 9 months before it settles down. For now check it once a day and dose if it is over 8.0

Please run a full set of tests and post them here so I can look them over.

I refreshed myself on your pool build. I didn't connect the current posts with your great design and discussions last year! This pool is one of the more unique pools on TFP. One of the longest raised bond beams here. Beautiful. Haha, you might have to put a "no diving" line on the upper wall by the sunshelf. I'm sure someone will try to dive over it in time, right after you turn your back. Finger shelf looks perfect. There are some blind spots of course, but that's the trade-off for the great and purposeful walls. You'll want to keep an eye out for efflorescence on the above grade wall surfaces.

I'd be inclined (actually I would) take over chemical management of the pool myself (I also knew zero about pool water maintenance when we built but you learn fast here). Though that may involve getting the PB comfortable you know what you are doing, to preserve your warranty if required. Many PB's are great at pool building, not so much at water chemistry/maintenance. At a minimum, I'd have my own TF-100 (see link in my signature) and being doing checks every few days as if I was taking care of it to document and question/inquire. Thinking they know what's best for your water quality is a potential mistake. Not trying to scare you, just being straightforward.

Have a great summer of pool fun!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the compliments, we’re certainly happy. I can see kids swim from living room, kitchen table, kitchen sink, my bedroom, almost everywhere in the ground floor. All the design elements really came together for a really usable space.

Unfortunately our swim fun was short lived, I wasn’t diligent and our kids have horrible blistering sunburns!

Questions, PB said putting in acid once a week was sufficient, but when we were in the water felt slimy and I suspect pH was still high. How often should we add it? I’m reluctant to take over right away since it hasn’t been 30 days for the plaster (when he says we can add salt, Polaris, etc), and we’re still wrapping up. Don’t want to step on toes or frustrate our good relationship, but want to be prepared.

Another thing we need is an umbrella for the sun ledge! Can we us any kind of pole or umbrella or does it need to be a certain pool-friendly kind? My sister sent me a link to one she has next to her pool but the pole is aluminum and I wasn’t sure if that would be ok.

Thanks again!

On the umbrella do you mean for a sleeve in the shelf? If so, it has to be aluminum. The only two options are aluminum and wood. Wood swells so is no good.

On the sunburn. :(

On the water, do you have a test kit? (I didn’t re-read prior posts). If so, test away and you’ll know what it needs, whether from them or you. Without your own test results, the solutions are uneducated guesses. With a new plaster pool, you will likely need acid added more than once a week.

I’m going to give you a hard time now. Fair warning. No signature yet? It is REALLY helpful for responders to be able to see all the details like I have in my signature about your pool. Every response depends on your pool information (from your signature) and test results. At least to be helpful, results should be based on those!

We wanted as deep as we could get, my parents have a 20x40 rectangle that is 11ft deep so we knew anything we built would feel small. I haven’t jumped or dived, but my 10 yo boys are about 4’8” and touch the bottom no problem with their pencil jumps. 8’ is probably ok, but for me I would go as deep as you can.

We wanted as deep as we could get, my parents have a 20x40 rectangle that is 11ft deep so we knew anything we built would feel small. I haven’t jumped or dived, but my 10 yo boys are about 4’8” and touch the bottom no problem with their pencil jumps. 8’ is probably ok, but for me I would go as deep as you can.
Thanks for the feedback!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.