South Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello all!!! I moved to a house with pool 3 month ago. The pool has a Spa, a Raypak heater and a Hayward Max-Flow XL pump.

I learned the pump can easily be converted to Variable Speed by replacing the motor with a Century VGreen ECM16SQU

I would like to convert it to Salt Water AND at the same time leave it ready in case I want to install an automation system (very probable to happen).

Let’s start by the automation:

Making some research it seems like the Jandy iAquaLink 3.0 Pool & Spa 4 Function Complete Control System Bundle is one the best options for me.
  • Price is pretty good at around $1200
  • it seems like the Century motor can be configured to talk Jandy Protocol.
  • Already includes WiFi
Hayward Omni doesn’t have an Android app. Have not evaluated Pentair … others?

For the SWG this is what I found Out

• Circupool and Autopilot seem to be very good options with nice warranty BUT Circupool lacks a way of controlling it through an automation System and Autopilot can only be controlled by its own affordable but limited PoolSync system (no pump control, only works with Aquacal heaters, doesn’t seem to have control for valves).
  • Hayward Aquarite (W3AQR15) ~$1800 is a good option and can be interfaced to iAqualink using this Chlorinator Translator. BUT it does not offer warrant for DIY
  • Jandy Aquapure 1400 ~$1900 is another good option. Although it does not offer warranty for DIY neither. Also, they Sell it as a Cell Kit or as a Complete System and I found that the documentation is kind of confusing on what else is needed in other to get the PLC1400 to work (Power Center/Control Panel) mostly when it is being integrated into their automation system.
Given all this, am I missing something? am I overthinking it? Any recommendations?

I know that this is like 100 questions in one and I’m sorry for that but not having anything that ties me to any specific system seems to open all this options. Being my first post I hope I'm posting it on the right place.

Thanks!!

Jandy doesn't sell their trade grade equipment online anymore, where are you getting the IQ904-PS iAquaLink kit from? FWIW the Hayward OmniHub does have an app and can control 2 valve actuators. Pentair does have a basic system called an IntelliConnect but that doesn't control valve actuators. Pentair only offers a 60 day warranty for DIY installs. Unfortunately the three big players have proprietary equipment that doesn't really work with other vendors, so we normally recommend to stick with one brand. Do you already have an electrical subpanel near your pool equipment? Do you have a ballpark on how much you want to spend?

Last edited:
Jandy doesn't sell their trade grade equipment online anymore, where are you getting the IQ904-PS iAquaLink kit from? FWIW the Hayward OmniHub does have an app and can control 2 valve actuators. Pentair does have a basic system called an IntelliConnect but that doesn't control valve actuators. Pentair only offers a 60 day warranty for DIY installs. Unfortunately the three big players have proprietary equipment that doesn't really work with other vendors, so we normally recommend to stick with one brand. Do you already have an electrical subpanel near your pool equipment? Do you have a ballpark on how much you want to spend?

v

- I read Jandy wasn't selling online anymore but it seems like equipment can be found on many places (This is the cheapest place for IQ904-PS)

- Brochures for Omni was only mentioning IOs app. Nice they have both. Seems like 2 actuators would be enough to Control between SPA and pool. Can't more actuators be added to the Omni Hub by adding a Smart Relay if needed?

- Right now I have breakers for the Pump and the Heater at the main panel and a subpanel with the Intermatic Mechanical Control for the pump and a light switch next to the pool.

- How much I have to spend is something that I'm sill trying to figureout. No less that $3K between automation and the SWG for sure.

You can find online sites selling Jandy equipment. Whatever you buy will have no warranty and no support from Jandy.

Think through if you can deal with only 4 relays in the Aqualink. One relay is dedicated to the filter/pump. And if you enable SPILLOVER mode you lose the AUX3 relay. So effectively you have two relays for other devices. One likely for your pool light.

Note that the Aqualink can only be upgraded by replacing the board or CPU. The Hayward Omni and Pentair IntelliCenter can do over the air firmware updates.

Your Intermatic control satisfies the NEC requirement for a maintenance disconnect within sight of the pump. If you remove it you need some type of maintenance disconnect.

You can mix SWGs and as long as everything works you will be fine. When thinsg don't work you will be on your own to diagnose and repair.

Reactions: guinness
You can find online sites selling Jandy equipment. Whatever you buy will have no warranty and no support from Jandy.

Think through if you can deal with only 4 relays in the Aqualink. One relay is dedicated to the filter/pump. And if you enable SPILLOVER mode you lose the AUX3 relay. So effectively you have two relays for other devices. One likely for your pool light.

Note that the Aqualink can only be upgraded by replacing the board or CPU. The Hayward Omni and Pentair IntelliCenter can do over the air firmware updates.

Your Intermatic control satisfies the NEC requirement for a maintenance disconnect within sight of the pump. If you remove it you need some type of maintenance disconnect.

You can mix SWGs and as long as everything works you will be fine. When thinsg don't work you will be on your own to diagnose and repair.

TBH, I'm already reconsidering the pool automation thing. For what they offer and the lack of integration between vendors they look overpriced to me. On top of that, it looks like the SWGs from the big three are not among the best and this war against the DIY is setting me off.

I found a system from Intermatic though (PE653 and its variants depending on the bundle), that will interface with an AutoPilot cell, control the Pump, Actuators, the heater and other features. It is not internet connected but it comes with a remote control and can control other z-wave devices, so might be enough to get the job done and I can get an AutoPilot System.

Another option might be any of the solutions others are talking about with SONOFF smart relays. After all I think the most important part is not having to go to the side of the house in the dark to turn on the lights or switch the valves and turn on the heater to have the hot tub running. Combined with the Poolsync from autopilot you even have control over the SWG from any smart device.

In regards to the sub panel, it's easy enough to install a small outdoor box with a breaker. I also have to consider somewhere to install the transformer for the lights.

I think I'm going to start by upgrading my pump and getting an Autopilot SWG and grow from there.

@ajw22 is familar w/ Jandy systems, let's see if he can give you any pointers.

Also see Compare SWCG Systems and have a look at the CMP Breeze 540.
The SWG system comparison was the first thing I saw from another post I found here :giggle:

I see the CMP cell has good reviews, but is there anything else that sets it apart from the rest?

Tanks!

You could always do nodeJS-PoolController. It really is pretty easy to do and it gives you all the power of a commercial system.
This is neat. I have seen some other using Home Assistant some times. I don't think I have the time to get involved building something like this right now although for sure it is going to be in my wish list :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found a system from Intermatic though (PE653 and its variants depending on the bundle), that will interface with an AutoPilot cell, control the Pump, Actuators, the heater and other features.
I would call Intermatic to confirm that the PE653 is compatible with the AutoPilot ChlorSync. It was probably designed to work with the discontinued Pool Pilot controller.

Having experience with Pi's, I found nodeJS-PC pretty easy to setup and get going.
I expect it would also be straightforward to start with a very basic setup, and add pieces as you have time.
A relay board and a Pi can act like a Sonoff relay.

This type of approach will save a bunch of money, and would be more flexible then tying yourself to some company's automation system.

Randy

I would call Intermatic to confirm that the PE653 is compatible with the AutoPilot ChlorSync. It was probably designed to work with the discontinued Pool Pilot controller.
That's a good point. It uses Serial Comunication to the sell so probably still works. But it wouldn't hurt to call.

Having experience with Pi's, I found nodeJS-PC pretty easy to setup and get going.
I expect it would also be straightforward to start with a very basic setup, and add pieces as you have time.
A relay board and a Pi can act like a Sonoff relay.

This type of approach will save a bunch of money, and would be more flexible then tying yourself to some company's automation system.

Randy
Well, cost apart it's probably more rewarding if you like the matter (impossible if you don't). And I agree that it is much better being able to get those components that offer the best value instead of having to chose some component just because you already have certain controller.

That's a good point. It uses Serial Comunication to the sell so probably still works. But it wouldn't hurt to call.
Also, the reason I'm considering Autopilot is because it has the chloraync module. Al the rest of the equipment control is normally pretty standard to control through a realy (event the Pump speed can be controlled through relays). The Cell would be the only component that could be challenging to control.

Yes the ChlorSync has an RS-485 connection used by PoolSync so hopefully the protocol is unchanged. It's also possible to control chlorine generation via run time as an alternate method.

I have always found that adjusting pump run time for chlorine production always has the bigger and more measurable effect. I almost always leave my SWG running at 40-50% and then just add or subtract 30mins of pump run time to change chlorine levels. I suppose adding more pump run time is probably more costly than bumping up the SWG output (pumps use more energy) but it’s a lot easier in my opinion.

Hello all!!! I moved to a house with pool 3 month ago. The pool has a Spa, a Raypak heater and a Hayward Max-Flow XL pump.

I learned the pump can easily be converted to Variable Speed by replacing the motor with a Century VGreen ECM16SQU

I would like to convert it to Salt Water AND at the same time leave it ready in case I want to install an automation system (very probable to happen).

Making some research it seems like the Jandy iAquaLink 3.0 Pool & Spa 4 Function Complete Control System Bundle is one the best options for me.
  • Already includes WiFi

• Circupool and Autopilot seem to be very good options with nice warranty BUT Circupool lacks a way of controlling it through an automation System and Autopilot can only be controlled by its own affordable but limited PoolSync system (no pump control, only works with Aquacal heaters, doesn’t seem to have control for valves).
  • Hayward Aquarite (W3AQR15) ~$1800 is a good option and can be interfaced to iAqualink using this Chlorinator Translator. BUT it does not offer warrant for DIY
  • Jandy Aquapure 1400 ~$1900 is another good option. Although it does not offer warranty for DIY neither. Also, they Sell it as a Cell Kit or as a Complete System and I found that the documentation is kind of confusing on what else is needed in other to get the PLC1400 to work (Power Center/Control Panel) mostly when it is being integrated into their automation system.
Given all this, am I missing something? am I overthinking it? Any recommendations?

I know that this is like 100 questions in one and I’m sorry for that but not having anything that ties me to any specific system seems to open all this options. Being my first post I hope I'm posting it on the right place.

Thankende

• Already includes WiFi

Thanks!!
FYI...Ended up buying a Circupool RJ60+ that I installed this weekend. All the RJ line 35 and above was pretty expensive at the ende of the year but went back down in January so I was able to get the 60 with the upgrade for $10 extra. I installed it this weekend and so far I'm very happy with it. The cell is way oversized for my pool plenty of chlorine capacity generation.

• Already includes WiFi

Thanks!!
FYI...Ended up buying a Circupool RJ60+. All the RJ line 35 and above was pretty expensive and with no promotions at the end of the year but went back down in January so I was able to get the 60 at the price of the 45 + $10. I installed it this weekend and so far I'm very happy with it. The cell is way oversized for my pool plenty of chlorine capacity generation. No more fighting with CYA loaded Chlorine Tabs, Granules rising the Calcium or Heavy Liquid containers.

Haven't done anything on the automation side yet but contrary to the situation with the Chlorine, I'm not in a hurry with this. I had not discarded the NodeJs idea, it is a very interesting solution.

Thank you all for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.