Trying to balance pool it’s not working

T-rod13331

May 1, 2019
North Port, FL
I took a test sample to the sparkle brite pool store today and they said I had no cya so I put in 8 cups granulated directly into the skimmer the pool is 10,000 gallons I removed the basket and poured it in I have algie but I haven’t put in any chlorine or added the 4 cups of muriatic acid I was told to put in because in the last few days I’ve added about 4 to 5 cups already my ph is 7.8 chlorine is zero calcium is 180 and alkaline is 150 according to them.

I bought a pool master 6 in one test kit when I test it my self I got zero chlorine and ph is 7.8 and not dropping next I tested the alkalinity I ended up dropping between 20 and 22 drops to see a color change according to the acid demand chart I needed to add a pint I believe of muriatic acid so I did next day tested it again I ended up somewhere between 24 to 25 drops in the last phase of the alkalinity test. I did this for 3 days each day the drop count went up so I went to the pool store I was given the instructions above.

I don’t know if I should add the muriatic acid because my readings were off compared to the pool store I’m currently waiting for my hth 6 test kit so I can test it my self I got 260 and they said my alkalinity was at 130 the first time I went up there this last time they said it was at 150 this is when I learned that my cya was zero.

When should I put in yellow stuff for algie, muriatic acid and chlorine? I know it takes about 3 days for the cya to fully desolve and another week for it to show up on a test but my pool is being consumed by algae and I don’t know what else to do also my pool surface is plaster if that matters and I’m in Florida I don’t have a backwash option on my pump and have no idea how to drain it if I had to hope I gave enough information thanks in advance

T-Rod, welcome! :wave: If you don't mind, I'm going to get right to the point on a few things you mentioned. Just pull this Band-Aid right off. :)
- Stay out of the pool store. They are wasting your time & money.
- Order a real test kit; a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. See Test Kits Compared
- When you get your proper test kit, post a full set of numbers. We'll help you.
- Stop adding all that stuff to your water. Not needed and won't fix algae. Just add some regular bleach each day for now. About 1/2 a bottle per day.
- Never pour products directly into the skimmer. Usually near the return jets slowly.
- Use our PoolMath tool or Poolmath APP (left menu) to determine how much product to add
- Please read our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, and read/save those Vital Links below in my sig.
- Update your signature as well

Start there and let us know what other questions you may have. We'll be happy to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DiverGirl1972
Thank you for the quick response I’m new to both forums and pools so I don’t understand the signature thing I just ordered the k2006 kit in your post but it doesn’t come in till May 9th a week from today, I have 3 jugs of chlorine from the pool store on hand. Are you saying not to put in the yellow stuff to treat algae, Or the muriatic acid? Add half a cup of bleach each day or half a bottle? Thanks again

Good job on the Taylor kit. I have to ask ... did you get the 2006"C"? It has the size bottles you need. As for the yellow stuff, absolutely not. Do not add any. Many of those algaecides add copper and do not want that in the water. Pool chlorine (aka regular bleach) is your water's best defense. For now, until you can test properly on your own, we just hope to minimize any further algae growth by adding about 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of bleach each day near the return jets. Let it mix. As for the muriatic acid to lower pH, if we agree your drop test kit showed a pH of 7.8, you may wish to lower it slightly. According to the PoolMath tool, about 5 ounces should get the pH down to about 7.6 for now. Do NOT add bleach (chlorine) and muriatic acid at the exact same time to the exact same area.

I am not sure what you mean by the other one being too expensive. The Taylor kit comes in two sizes, a smaller (cheaper) size or a larger size. You will find that if you buy the smaller kit you will have to replace the reagents faster. It's not a huge deal but in the long run it is more financially beneficial to buy the larger kit to begin with. As far as brushing the algae, you will have to keep adding bleach and keep brushing and remove any and all organic debris from the pool to let the chlorine do the work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I looked at the c it was almost 100 the one I got was like 60 I thought the other one was for pool techs
At the very least, you got a good test kit. In the future, I would recommend checking the TFtestkits.net website. They sell both the TF-100 and Taylor K-2006C and refills for each. Very good prices.

For now, be patient and invest some time reviewing our references. Those links will pay huge dividends. Remember, you won't eliminate the algae right away until you can test the water on your own. For now, just the little bleach noted above is an effort to slow things down. We'll help you get with true SLAM Process accuracy when the kit arrives.

The DIY/TFP method is the most cost-effective way to take care of your pool. It stings at first, but once you beat the algae, things will get much easier and much cheaper.

Best of luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.