Oct 3, 2018
severna park, md
My pump recently died and it was replaced with a Pentair VST pump. Previously everything was connected to a mechanical timer that turned everything on/off. The installer said since the new pump has its own timer I didn't need to use the mechanical timer anymore and he removed the on/off screws, so now everything is powered all the time.

The problem with this is that I noticed the TruClear SWG says 'Chlorinating' all the time, for some reason the flow detector isn't shutting it off properly.

I called Jandy and they said my options were to either go back to using the mechanical timer, and set the timer to the same time that the VST pump is on (would this cause any issues for the pump? )
or replace the mechanical timer with a TCX, he said it was a digital timer that would fit inside the same housing as the mechanical timer. Seems like that would be the way to go, but the only thing I found was a Aqualink TCX automation system, not sure what exactly I would need.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Right now I am just turning the SWG on/off manually every day.

go back to using the mechanical timer, and set the timer to the same time that the VST pump is on

This is one easy option.

(would this cause any issues for the pump? )

Depends if your installer moved the pump wires from the LOAD side of the timer to the LINE side.

If he did not then you can and then the timer will only control the TruClear.

or replace the mechanical timer with a TCX, he said it was a digital timer that would fit inside the same housing as the mechanical timer. Seems like that would be the way to go, but the only thing I found was a Aqualink TCX automation system, not sure what exactly I would need.

I have no idea what the TCX thing is.

Your other option is running your VS pump 24/7 at a low speed that always generates chlorine as many of us do. IT should cost you less then $1/day in electrical cost running your pump that way.

So your choices are using your timer or running your pump 24/7.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.