Trial Run w/Free Intex EasySet Was Successful - Seeking Feedback on New Upgrade Setup

Aug 18, 2013
Austin, TX
Hi All,

About a month ago I was given a super-janky Intex EasySet 15' pool w/cartridge filter pump for free. I've managed to keep it alive for the last 4wks, and with daily doses of 10% liquid bleach it's been algae-free and mostly clear the entire time (minus the fine dirt/dust floating around that the returns just can't seem to suck in). We decided to upgrade a bit now that we've gotten a taste for owning and using an ABG for a while, plus the current pool is being held together by pool noodles stuffed in the "inflatable" ring, so it's not exactly operating to spec and is at constant risk of collapse if one of the dogs decides they really want to climb in (they're labradors).

So given the above, over the weekend I spend a few hundred and bought a 2 year old Intex Ultra XTR 16ft x 48in pool w/Krystal Klear 1200gph Sand Filter Pump, Model #SF90110-1. It also came with a boatload of accessories, including over the side surface skimmer and a Pool Blaster cordless vacuum. Below are some questions I have for setting this all up, as I want to do it right this time.

1. Ground Prep - I'll need to dig one side out an inch or so to get to relatively level. Once that's done I was going to put down landscaping edging 17'-18' in diameter to ring the pool, and then fill with a couple inches of sand and get as close to level as possible. Any downsides to this approach? I do have a big question on pavers for blocks for the support legs. I'll place these on the regular ground, not on top of the sand, right? What size should these be then? I assume wide enough to allow some movement of the legs as water fills? How thick though? Same thickness as sand, so top isn't covered by sand around it? Or more, or less? This entire part stresses me out.

2. It came with a manual cordless vacuum, but I think I'd like to upgrade to a robot, as we have large mature trees all around so leaves are inevitable at all times of day. I don't mind vacuuming and skimming daily. As my wife says, it's my zen, like mowing the lawn. But, I can't do it all day, so a robot would be nice to have. Any recommendations for one that's well-suited for an ABG of this size and shape

3. Filter & Pump - The pool is 5000gal and the sand filter is 10" I think. What are thoughts on this? Will it be adequate for this pool? Should I plan for an upgrade, especially if a robot is added in? If so, any specific brands or models you'd recommend?

4. SWCG - Along with the pump question above, what are thoughts on adding an SWCG to this setup? Any recommendations for specific brand and models?

I think that covers my initial questions. Looking forward to hearing what y'all think!

D

Congrats on the new to u upgrade! 🥳
I’ll do my best to answer your questions in order

1. The ground must be level, you cannot makeup the difference in the level with sand or backfill because when the pool is full it will compress the backfill/sand & become unlevel. When full the water in that pool weighs over 44,000 lbs. Do it right the 1st time & not have to live through the pain of draining & starting over. Ask me how I know…
For the legs:
Normal 12x12 pavers will work or even the rectangular pavers.
They MUST be sunk into the ground with their tops the same level as the virgin level ground the pool bottom sits on not the sand. The sand is for cushion/comfort & making the area smoother it becomes compressed as mentioned above. Sand,gorilla pads etc are optional, a ground cloth or tarp is sufficient to protect the bottom of the pool. Be sure to Remove all the grass.
Whatever u use be sure to also put down an herbicide to kill all the grass & prevent more from growing (especially Nutsedge) as well as a granular insecticide on the prepped ground.

2. I have the intex cordless vac (much like the pool blaster) & it works well for small pools. For several years I used & was pretty satisfied with the intex automatic pool cleaner as an affordable option (it gets propelled by the return jet). There is also a newer intex model that has brushes that has good reviews
1D41713D-E8A3-4AC9-A779-662960BA3AC1.jpeg
I recently upgraded to an actual dolphin robot that works independently of the pump for my much larger 33’ pool. The e10/s50 basic dolphin would be sufficient for your size pool. They are quite superior in their cleaning ability but they are a bit costly @$500+.
Several above ground owners here also have the pool rover junior for a little less coin than the dolphins. There have been quite a few battery powered robots enter the market recently as well like the Aiper that have affordable models.

3. That pump should be sufficient for the meantime, mine ran my intex cleaner fine but ymmv.
If you get an actual robot (like a dolphin or pool rover) as opposed to a pressure side cleaner then the pump is not in the equation as they are powered with electricity & not connected in any way to the pump.
4. Part of this answer depends upon what brand pump u choose. If u stick with intex - (which is an ok option) then the intex swg is a fine choice for the $$ - go with the 15k gallon rated one not the 7k gal rated one so u don’t have to run it constantly.
If u are planning on upgrading the pump it is not recommended to get a combo pump/swg unit, keep them separate.
If you change to a non intex pump, swg or filter then you will need to use adapters as the intex fittings are proprietary. It’s totally doable. I used the intex swg’s on my 33’ round pool until they croaked!
All of these decisions are based on how long u think u will use this pool & if u see yourself upgrading pool size/type in the near future & your budget of course.
If I were in your situation I would probably add a 15k gal intex swg & possibly an inexpensive cleaner & let the rest ride for a little while.

Reactions: newdude and mknauss
Congrats on the new to u upgrade! 🥳
I’ll do my best to answer your questions in order

1. The ground must be level, you cannot makeup the difference in the level with sand or backfill because when the pool is full it will compress the backfill/sand & become unlevel. When full the water in that pool weighs over 44,000 lbs. Do it right the 1st time & not have to live through the pain of draining & starting over. Ask me how I know…
For the legs:
Normal 12x12 pavers will work or even the rectangular pavers.
They MUST be sunk into the ground with their tops the same level as the virgin level ground the pool bottom sits on not the sand. The sand is for cushion/comfort & making the area smoother it becomes compressed as mentioned above. Sand,gorilla pads etc are optional, a ground cloth or tarp is sufficient to protect the bottom of the pool. Be sure to Remove all the grass.
Whatever u use be sure to also put down an herbicide to kill all the grass & prevent more from growing (especially Nutsedge) as well as a granular insecticide on the prepped ground.

2. I have the intex cordless vac (much like the pool blaster) & it works well for small pools. For several years I used & was pretty satisfied with the intex automatic pool cleaner as an affordable option (it gets propelled by the return jet). There is also a newer intex model that has brushes that has good reviews
View attachment 446780
I recently upgraded to an actual dolphin robot that works independently of the pump for my much larger 33’ pool. The e10/s50 basic dolphin would be sufficient for your size pool. They are quite superior in their cleaning ability but they are a bit costly @$500+.
Several above ground owners here also have the pool rover junior for a little less coin than the dolphins. There have been quite a few battery powered robots enter the market recently as well like the Aiper that have affordable models.

3. That pump should be sufficient for the meantime, mine ran my intex cleaner fine but ymmv.
If you get an actual robot (like a dolphin or pool rover) as opposed to a pressure side cleaner then the pump is not in the equation as they are powered with electricity & not connected in any way to the pump.
4. Part of this answer depends upon what brand pump u choose. If u stick with intex - (which is an ok option) then the intex swg is a fine choice for the $$ - go with the 15k gallon rated one not the 7k gal rated one so u don’t have to run it constantly.
If u are planning on upgrading the pump it is not recommended to get a combo pump/swg unit, keep them separate.
If you change to a non intex pump, swg or filter then you will need to use adapters as the intex fittings are proprietary. It’s totally doable. I used the intex swg’s on my 33’ round pool until they croaked!
All of these decisions are based on how long u think u will use this pool & if u see yourself upgrading pool size/type in the near future & your budget of course.
If I were in your situation I would probably add a 15k gal intex swg & possibly an inexpensive cleaner & let the rest ride for a little while.
Thanks a ton for the detailed reply! I like your take on this. I'm hoping this pool will last us a year or two, and we're not quite ready to spend a ton of money, so sticking with the Intex pump and adding the same brand SWCG and cleaner makes sense.

Regarding leveling, what you said makes sense. But just wondering one thing. If I sink the pavers to where the tops are level with the bare ground around them and that the pool bottom rests on, then if I add a layer of sand or gorilla pads on top of the pool bottom ground, wouldn't that raise the pool bottom up a bit above the pavers? Is that an issue, or will the compression make the difference minimal?

Replace the over the wall skimmer with a thru the wall Hayward Dyna-skim. They do a much better job and consequently there won't be as much debris on the bottom for a robot to have to clean up. This is seriously the best upgrade I ever did when I had my Intex pool.

Replace the over the wall skimmer with a thru the wall Hayward Dyna-skim. They do a much better job and consequently there won't be as much debris on the bottom for a robot to have to clean up. This is seriously the best upgrade I ever did when I had my Intex pool.
Thanks for the tip! I take it that cutting through the vinyl wall to make the opening isn't a big deal? That'd be my fear, but it seems like a lot of folks have done it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.