Travertine Pavers: Sand or Concrete Base?

pjt

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jan 7, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Is it worth the extra money to have a concrete base for travertine pavers? Most of the PBs here install them with a sand base.

I would pay for the concrete base. Even when installed properly on sand, the ground eventually shifts and swells enough times over many years and that will cause pavers to sink and move. On a concrete base, that is highly unlikely.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
I just found this thread, wondering the same. We’re in Northern California where the ground doesn’t really freeze. Our existing concrete isn’t totally level after 30 years and is getting ripped out in our remodel, and I’m wondering if compacted rock would actually be easier to fix if the ground is going to move anyway? It’s also $15k more to do new concrete.

I just found this thread, wondering the same. We’re in Northern California where the ground doesn’t really freeze. Our existing concrete isn’t totally level after 30 years and is getting ripped out in our remodel, and I’m wondering if compacted rock would actually be easier to fix if the ground is going to move anyway? It’s also $15k more to do new concrete.
I’ve read a lot about this and all the decking contractors I spoke with in Northern CA did not recommend concrete. We have earthquakes and the consensus was it’s easier to fix, if needed, when over sand.

Reactions: OliviaT
I’ve read a lot about this and all the decking contractors I spoke with in Northern CA did not recommend concrete. We have earthquakes and the consensus was it’s easier to fix, if needed, when over sand.
Super interesting. That makes sense. Pool builder (Herb’s), the mason installing the travertine, and stone supplier all told me to do concrete as it will last much longer and require less maintenance. We were leaning that way, despite the premium.

Mine is compacted driveway gravel sub base. Then over that, is granite screenings instead of sand. This is heavier and after compacted feels more like a solid surface when you walk on it. The travertine was installed on top of that. This being said there will be some settling in the first year that will require some minor re-leveling. I would MUCH rather have this, and not have to break up concrete in the future if there was a repair needed to plumbing or anything else underground.

In case it’s helpful to anyone else trying to figure out what to do in the future, here’s the advice from the stone expert I’ve been working with and come to respect and trust, and what he’s doing in his own pool remodel (with limestone pavers):

I am removing my concrete pool deck which is 4" thick and re pouring the Concrete Pad to 2" thick on one long and two ends, on the other long side is going to be compacted base and sand, to sand set the stone, for I have drainage lines in that section I might need to access one day, otherwise I would have poured Concrete in that section also.

I would pour concrete over a Compacted Base especially for a pool deck, it will pay dividends in the long term, easy maintenance, if you are planning on selling in a few years then you could probably get away with the sand set option, but if this is a place for the long term go with concrete.

I think we’re also going to go with concrete, except over the plumbing lines, based on advice of everyone who’s seen our terrain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.