Silver Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Central Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok. I've been repeatedly encouraged that "You can do it!" about our desire to put in a pool, but I'm getting discouraged. The work, I think we can do (with some exceptions). Choosing equipment, not so much. Can some of you kind folks help a girl out? Ordering 20x40 kit, will have one large or two small waterfalls, open year round on Entergy electric.

QUESTIONS:
How many HP do I need on a pump?
Do I want single speed, 2 speed or VS?
Any models that you can recommend?
Any models to avoid?
How big of a sand filter do I need?
What type of mount?

I promise I'm not an idiot. Just need recommendations from people who have used them and that aren't trying to sell me something. Thanks in advance!

How many returns will you have, in addition to the waterfalls? How many skimmers?

As far as pumps go, regardless of water features, I would suggest a 2-speed or a VS for sure. Both add some flexibility and cost savings in the long run. 2-speed is the cheaper option and might be enough for you to be able to control flow rate when waterfalls are running. If you want to have more incremental control over the waterfall flows, you can accomplish that with a VS pump. You could also control that quite a bit via valves on each return line, which would be nice regardless. 1.0 to 1.5 HP would be enough for your pool. Maybe a 2 HP if you have 4 returns and 2 waterfalls but a smaller pump will be more economical. Hayward, Pentair and Jandy pumps you really can't go too wrong with. Good quality reputations in general, great parts availability and pretty good customer service reputation as well.

For your size pool and a sand filter the answer is go as big as you can. 27 inch would be the bare minimum size, 30+ would be better. More sand = better filtration, less backwashing. Again, I'm always comfortable with the above brands in these items too.

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. The guy doing the plumbing said I will have a total of 4 returns and 2 skimmers. I am going to start shopping 2HP VS pumps now. That eliminates a ton of the field of research to do. I think Hayward has a MaxFlo and a Superpump. I will look at Pentair as well.

I was thinking a bigger filter would be needed, but didn't know how big. I guess that will be money well spent.

Thanks again for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.