TucsonDan

Jun 27, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Hi friends! New member and first time poster. A friend and former member encouraged me to reach out to the TFP collective wisdom.

I'm looking for recommendations for a new pool pump.

Context: My single speed pump has an irreparable crack where the tank body assembly meets the seal plate to the pump. Water sprays everywhere when the pump is on. Due to the cost of the replacement part, I'm looking at installing a new pump. A 3rd party pool service guy recommended by my local Leslies, came, looked, and said he could build me a new 1HP single speed Pentair pump and install it. His job keeps getting delayed and I'm not sure when he will be able to do it. Meanwhile a friend and some others have encouraged me this is a job I can do myself. However, I really don't know what I need in terms of a new pump. I also don't have much of a gauge for how much I should or could spend on a new pump. Our income is currently tight, but our pool has been filter-less for about 2 weeks.

I have a roughly 20,000 IG plaster lined pool. The skimmer basket return is the only suction point. This is where I run our Hayward cleaner from.

So, how do I know what HP pump to get? How do I know if I need at VS, DS, or SS pump? What price range should I expect? What pumps do you recommend?

Thank you for any help!

Welcome to the forum.
What electrical power do you have at the current pump. 220v or 115v?

A VS pump will save you a lot in electrical costs.

I think you are correct in your understanding. I recently installed a Jacuzzi VSP from Leslies on our big pool. I am very happy with it. I have no experience with Black&Decker VSP pumps and they are cheaper.

If you have 220V, look at Calimar VS. CaliMar® Variable Speed Pool Pump | 3HP | CMARVSP3.0
Make sure it comes with pump unions.

You likely will be able to run it at 1200 rpm or so. It will use less than 200 watts at that speed.
I have a question about your recommendation. Can you oversize a VS pump? meaning if your filter is smaller and your piping is say 1.5 inch, is it possible that the pump can cause more trouble like possible cavitation at High speed etc? An example is that I asked Pentair if in my setup I could get an Intelliflo3 (1.5 HP) with an pentair TR-60 Sand filter, they said that it was too much pump for me. So I just wanted to learn more about why you recommended at 3HP pump. Thanks !

You cannot oversize a VS pump. Some of the cheaper models are not as flexible in scheduling and limiting max rpm. Neither will harm anything. Your pressure may rise but that limits flow rate.

I have a 3.95 hp VS pump. It is limited to a max rpm of 2500. Works great. Normal rpm is 1500.

Larger hp VS pump is quieter and uses less electricity to pump the same flow rate of water.

Reactions: Brazillianguy
Hey TucsonDan, I think that dude who directed you here must be a stand-up guy, he sure gave you good advice! I bet he's good looking too.

edit - looks like i need to change my signature since I now have a sandy mudhole instead of a pool...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You cannot oversize a VS pump. Some of the cheaper models are not as flexible in scheduling and limiting max rpm. Neither will harm anything. Your pressure may rise but that limits flow rate.

I have a 3.95 hp VS pump. It is limited to a max rpm of 2500. Works great. Normal rpm is 1500.

Larger hp VS pump is quieter and uses less electricity to pump the same flow rate of water.
thank you for that.... makes sense

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.