This sand at return jets is not a result of broken laterals?

You can inspect the MPV spider gasket/key assembly first if you wish, but most often the reason is due to something inside the filter like a bad lateral itself, how it's connected, or the center standpipe/hub assembly at the bottom.
I was thinking of just replacing the entire standpipe and laterals. Do I need to replace the sand as well?

Do I need to replace the sand as well?
Not if the sand has remained uncontaminated. In other words, no floc or clarifiers have been allowed to mix with the sand. As long as nothing has mixed with the sand to mess it up, then you can pull the sand, set it on a tarp or something, and do the work required in the filter and put it back in when you're done.

Not if the sand has remained uncontaminated. In other words, no floc or clarifiers have been allowed to mix with the sand. As long as nothing has mixed with the sand to mess it up, then you can pull the sand, set it on a tarp or something, and do the work required in the filter and put it back in when you're done.
Thanks! In this case I dont know, there were owners who used it before me. Is there a tell where I can know if I need new sand?

In this case I dont know, there were owners who used it before me.
That's a tough call. Sometimes previous owners leave pool containers around for the buyer that gives us a clue, but if you don't see any of those it's anyone's guess. You can either chalk it up to doubt and get new sand to be safe, or inspect it once you pull it all out of the filter. See how it feels between your fingers to confirm if it's still light and gritty with no apparent gummy substances.

That's a tough call. Sometimes previous owners leave pool containers around for the buyer that gives us a clue, but if you don't see any of those it's anyone's guess. You can either chalk it up to doubt and get new sand to be safe, or inspect it once you pull it all out of the filter. See how it feels between your fingers to confirm if it's still light and gritty with no apparent gummy substances.
Gotcha if it’s sticky it’s got to go. Last question and thanks for your help. Any brand sand recommendation? I guess sakrete is fine?

Any brand sand recommendation? I guess sakrete is fine?
I know Quikrete was no good, but I don't recall Sakrete. You might want to look at the link below.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.