This one is for me....

bdavis466

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
San Clemente, CA
If you've been following the saga, we sold our last place (Heres the POOL BUILD) and purchased a new home. I don't get the privilege of building a pool here since it already has one but I do have a pool remodel planned down the road. Before I get to that I'd like to build a patio cover.

The cover will be attached to the house and have stone, stucco, tile roof, etc - Often called a California Room. This project will be a challenge because I'll have to work around the existing pool and plumbing, the existing concrete deck, structure of the house and in a very small backyard. I am also anticipating a struggle with a very strict HOA and City Building Department as well.

Here's what I have planned:

PVS1.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 1.56.16 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 1.56.46 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 1.56.28 PM.jpg

And here's what I'm working with...as you can see it's in desperate need of a covered space

IMG_20180911_160854595_HDR.jpg

I've just about got the plans wrapped up and I'll send them off the the Structural Engineer for approval and to the HOA for an Architectural review and neighbor approval (people are particularly concerned with their view being obstructed around here). Once those are done (I guess I should say IF), I'll send these off the the City to see about permitting it.

I don't expect this to be a quick process :crazy:

Last edited:
Excellent addition. Hope they let you do it. I love the notion/purpose of an HOA, until I want to build something!

Fan(s)? Overhead light(s)? BBQ spotlight(s)? Bistro lights?

They'll want footings. (Oh, I see them in the plans.) How do you locate the pool and drainage plumbing lines? Other than the geyser method, of course!

Hijack! Love the coping! Is that stone? Or concrete? (It's so thick!) If concrete, can that be done to an existing pool with deteriorating flagstone? I like the look of my stone, but I'm done with the flakes and the sand.

Looks well laid out I think it will look great on the house. I think u will be fine on the footings idk what kind of soil u have there but u can always have them hand dug to be safe. I did see ur clear span lengths and here in NJ I could only build that with steel and even then they would be huge probably w12 or maybe 14s. Idk how much of a drop beam ur height would accommodate ceiling wise without blocking view or being too bulky. Anyway u can add a post in there somewhere to cut span down?

I hope you get along well with your builder!! [emoji6]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Excellent addition. Hope they let you do it. I love the notion/purpose of an HOA, until I want to build something!

Fan(s)? Overhead light(s)? BBQ spotlight(s)? Bistro lights?

They'll want footings. (Oh, I see them in the plans.) How do you locate the pool and drainage plumbing lines? Other than the geyser method, of course!

Hijack! Love the coping! Is that stone? Or concrete? (It's so thick!) If concrete, can that be done to an existing pool with deteriorating flagstone? I like the look of my stone, but I'm done with the flakes and the sand.

The HOA is insane. Its actually managed by a private company in Irvine (30 mins North of here) and they have the plans sent to an Architect on staff to make sure the addition matches the intent of the neighborhood.

The footings - I'll cut the concrete where they need to be and hope for the best.

The coping is an overlay that is textured to look like rock. It certainly could be done over your coping but it would need to be about 1" thick so you'd have deck height issues.

Brian,

Well, with all the practice you have had working on other people's pools and patios, maybe you can get this one right!!! :p

As usual, this will be a fun one to watch..

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. I always appreciate and enjoy your input :goodjob:

Looks well laid out I think it will look great on the house. I think u will be fine on the footings idk what kind of soil u have there but u can always have them hand dug to be safe. I did see ur clear span lengths and here in NJ I could only build that with steel and even then they would be huge probably w12 or maybe 14s. Idk how much of a drop beam ur height would accommodate ceiling wise without blocking view or being too bulky. Anyway u can add a post in there somewhere to cut span down?

The East coast loves their steel...The beams will be engineered LVL's (6x14). My original patio design needed a 6x20x48' Glulam beam :shock:

There is a spot I can add a post but the the wife quickly vetoed it so this design was the best I could do to accommodate her wishes and not sacrifice any size.

I hope you get along well with your builder!! [emoji6]

Can't stand the guy!

Would be so nice if u can cover those spans.

I’m trying to remember my largest lvl’s in my house. My back porch one is 22 feet long span end to end. My garage 1 so I have no posts. I hate when they build a house around here and there r posts in the garage and u got to worry about hitting a door. That one is 38 long plus cause my garage is 38 deep and it runs front to back and the joists on top r opposite.

my basement is a mix of steel and lvl’s. None of those lvl’s are real long though.

My HOA, when we had one, tried that with my addition. Turns out they were overstepping their boundaries. They are only allowed to regulate the areas that can be seen from the road/sidewalk in front of your house. In my case, none of my additions were visible from the front of my house. You could see them from the road behind the rear facing block, but that wasn't in the covenants. You might be lucky and find out that you don't have to involve them at all. Read the paperwork, very closely.

My HOA, when we had one, tried that with my addition. Turns out they were overstepping their boundaries. They are only allowed to regulate the areas that can be seen from the road/sidewalk in front of your house. In my case, none of my additions were visible from the front of my house. You could see them from the road behind the rear facing block, but that wasn't in the covenants. You might be lucky and find out that you don't have to involve them at all. Read the paperwork, very closely.

Definitely not the case here... The rules and regs from the HOA is about 4" thick. I was warned several times by the neighbors to not do anything without the HOA approval.

Most associations are run by a few people that live in the neighborhood but this is an actual management company that regulates everything.

I'm not so concerned about the design of the patio because it fits well with the house and the Spanish architecture, but what does concern me is that I'm on a corner lot and typically the setbacks for Corner Lots are ridiculously large on the street side.

I dealt with this on a project for a corner lot house that the setback requirement was 25% of the length of the property line on the street side and in this case the setback ended up being over 65 ft :shock: after several reviews with the building department and hours and hours of time wasted the entire project got shut down and the neighbor directly adjacent had a detached garage that he ended up having to tear down as a result.

In my case and if that rule applies then I'll have a 18 ft set back on that side of the property and it would make the patio so small that it would no longer be worth building. I had already gone down to the city to ask about the setbacks and to see if there were any easements and I was told that as it's designed there would be no issues. The engineer that looked at my plans smiled and laughed and said that getting the HOAs approval is far more difficult than dealing with the Planning Dept. Sounds fun!

so many rules. i couldn't deal wit that. there is no way i would be ever able to live in a development with a HOA. it took me 2 years to build my house then another 3 to even landscape it. let alone i have been under construction for the pool now for over a year.

i mean every in my development have built houses that deff don't mess up the value of ur and we all keep our yard proper and stuff. i'm prob the worse out of everyone cause i'm always under construction. . . ya so maybe i'm the problem. lol but i would deff hear about it around town since we are such a small town and every person that built in my development grew up in our town so people talk. i get yelled at by my dad now and then cause someone said they saw me speeding down a road in town here and there. lol

brian ur pool is so cool! ur last pool was too. this is going to look awesome when all done. what are u doing for audio. the house already have a structured system in it and u just adding a zone to it?

so many rules. i couldn't deal wit that. there is no way i would be ever able to live in a development with a HOA. it took me 2 years to build my house then another 3 to even landscape it. let alone i have been under construction for the pool now for over a year.

i mean every in my development have built houses that deff don't mess up the value of ur and we all keep our yard proper and stuff. i'm prob the worse out of everyone cause i'm always under construction. . . ya so maybe i'm the problem. lol but i would deff hear about it around town since we are such a small town and every person that built in my development grew up in our town so people talk. i get yelled at by my dad now and then cause someone said they saw me speeding down a road in town here and there. lol

brian ur pool is so cool! ur last pool was too. this is going to look awesome when all done. what are u doing for audio. the house already have a structured system in it and u just adding a zone to it?

As much of a pain as the HOA's can be, I'm actually thrilled to have one. Our last neighborhood did not have an HOA and I would have given anything to have one... You'd have a beautiful house with amazing landscape next to a car farmer that thought his house should be 12 different shades of pink :pukel:, trashcans left at the curb for all of eternity, weeds growing everywhere....

As for audio, I'll install several flush ceiling speakers in the patio, 5 or 6 more around the pool and at least one of the buried subwoofers. This house has nothing for audio now so I'm starting from scratch. This has proven to be especially painful because I had whole home audio at the last house with over 40 speakers - you couldn't get away from the music. I don't even have surround sound for the TV yet :thumbdown:

- - - Updated - - -

LOVE that pool!

Imported dog? What kind? why import?

Kim:kim:

Ah Kim - you remeber.....

Corona, CA Pool Build - Page 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.