Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2007
Baton Rouge, La.
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Doing some maintenance and noticed the breaker is not GFCI. Should I change this? It’s two 110’s, right?
Hope this question is in the right place.
Thanks
///Sorry..this is in wrong place..////

Attachments

• 3A16EAD5-3A90-4834-B2E8-65D63C8275BC.jpeg
    3A16EAD5-3A90-4834-B2E8-65D63C8275BC.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 17
If it shold be GFCI will depend on it's use.

No, it's not really two 110s. While each leg is 110, those are bound together so a trip on eiter leg will trip tehwhole thing. You can't replace it with two 110 breakers

What does the breaker feed?

Your current breaker is two 120V breakers ganged together for a 240V circuit.

If you put in a GFCI CB it needs to be a single 240V GFCI to work properly.

I have one more question….If I pull the two gaged 110’s out too put the single 220 in…what about the other pole… It’s not part of the equation any longer?

What "other pole"?

Each 110V CB has one hot wire connected to each.

A 240V CB has the two hot wires connected to it and a GFCI CB has a neutral wire you connect to the neutral bar.

What "other pole"?

Each 110V CB has one hot wire connected to each.

A 240V CB has the two hot wires connected to it and a GFCI CB has a neutral wire you connect to the neutral bar.
I’ve replaced many 110 cb’s that you just pull the old one out and put the new one in, but never installed a 220 that I would have to wire anything up. Is it pretty straight forward?

I’ve replaced many 110 cb’s that you just pull the old one out and put the new one in, but never installed a 220 that I would have to wire anything up. Is it pretty straight forward?

Yup, you pull the two 120V CBs out and snap one 220V CB in. Connect the two hot wires to the CB and connect the neutral wire to the neutral bar.

Note that the 240V CB will have a neutral screw connection that you don't connect to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First, the real question is: "How is your pump supposed to be wired?" Some are wired 120V and others are wired 240V. Some pumps have an option, but most VSP are wired to 1 DP GFCI 20amp CB wired for 240.

Next, your signature says you have a 1HP Pentair pump [Pentair SuperFlo Standard Efficiency Pool Pump | 115-230V 1HP | EC-348190. This can be wired either way. But if it's wired w 2 120 single pole CB's and you want to go GFCI 240, then it's a single DP 20amp GFCI CB...the conductors will be the same, which should be 12ga

First, the real question is: "How is your pump supposed to be wired?" Some are wired 120V and others are wired 240V. Some pumps have an option, but most VSP are wired to 1 DP GFCI 20amp CB wired for 240.

Next, your signature says you have a 1HP Pentair pump [Pentair SuperFlo Standard Efficiency Pool Pump | 115-230V 1HP | EC-348190. This can be wired either way. But if it's wired w 2 120 single pole CB's and you want to go GFCI 240, then it's a single DP 20amp GFCI CB...the conductors will be the same, which should be 12ga
I thought it’s 240 because it’s two 110’s together. I was hoping I could remove the 110’s and push the 240 GFCI in. I’m still a little confused about hooking it up though.

I have one more question….If I pull the two gaged 110’s out too put the single 220 in…what about the other pole… It’s not part of the equation any longer?
If you look, a double-pole circuit breaker is, essentially, two breakers attached to each other, on opposite legs of the power, and the levers ganged so that if one leg trips, the other will also (in theory, doesn't always happen). A double-pole (240v) GFCB is the same with the ground-fault protection built in and both sides will always trip (some only have a single lever). Be sure to hook the neutral terminal on the GFCB to the neutral in your panel for it to work properly. A 240v pump will not have a neutral, but that line needs to be attached.

If you look, a double-pole circuit breaker is, essentially, two breakers attached to each other, on opposite legs of the power, and the levers ganged so that if one leg trips, the other will also (in theory, doesn't always happen). A double-pole (240v) GFCB is the same with the ground-fault protection built in and both sides will always trip (some only have a single lever). Be sure to hook the neutral terminal on the GFCB to the neutral in your panel for it to work properly. A 240v pump will not have a neutral, but that line needs to be attached.
Thanks…always want to make sure I’m doing everything correct when messing with electrical stuff.

Reactions: Newdude
Just for clarity. Your new dbl 20 amp gfci will have a curly white wire. That white wire goes to the neutral side bar bus inside the breaker panel. your neutral white wire coming FROM your timer attaches to the new breaker using the single screw in port AWAY from the two screw in ports also on the new breaker for your black hots.

This is assuming you have your pump and possibly a SWG feeding off the timer.

Whenever you do anything to turn the power off to service equipment you should always press the yellow trip button on your new breaker. Doing this ensures your GFCI is working.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.