Think i may need help soon!

Okay I will work a little more towards getting that dial in. I dissolved and added another 16 ounce portion today and will check all of my levels tomorrow when we get home and see if it held my chlorine for the day and try to get an accurate reading on my cya. We initially treated the water to bring the cya to 30 and I have now done two additional treatments to bring it up 10 at a time so in theory it should be at 50 but that's not what I'm seeing when I take the test I don't think so I will try again tomorrow. I definitely don't want to add too much because I definitely don't want to drain and refill any of this water if I can avoid it. :)

Yep, I'm with Marian.

You have to make sure enough light gets in to illuminate the suspended particles, which is what obscures the dot. That's why you hold it at the top and use bright lighting. Too much downward light and the dot gets illuminated too much, hence why you shade the test tube with your body. The light is being reflected from the ground and surrounding objects, lighting up the suspended particles, and obscuring the dot.

I agree with Triptyx too - don't sweat over plus/minus 10. Pick your number once a month and go with it. A little more chlorine than target doesn't hurt anything or anyone. So for you at 40, and 3 minimum, Marian will dial you in with an effective evening target, or morning, or whatever time of day you want to do it. She's smart, especially after eating chocolate cookies.

Did I talk to you about only GLANCING? Do NOT stare. Just glance in. I even go so far as to just pour line by line and glance in. We will have you round up to the next line so might as well go to that line. Look up, GLANCE in, look up, GLANCE in...........did you see the dot? If so go to the next line and GLANCE in again. Once you do not see the dot when you GLANCE in you call it.

Kim:cat:

Okay, I was just a little concerned about how I was doing it because the link that I was looking at shows that you should be able to just look at it and even after a few seconds still not see you so that seems a little different than just a glance so I wanted to make sure. :)

when you only glance, and don't stare, you will read the CYA level as a bit higher than if you stare at it, kinda see it, add more test liquid (which would give you a lower CYA reading).

With the CYA/FC determination, we always say "round up your cya to the next 10" to make sure there is adequate FC, and glancing at the test is another way of rounding up the CYA.

So today was the first day that my pool held a decent amount of free chlorine and did not drop below 4. It rained like nobody's business last night and added about 2 inches of water to my pool but I still came home to these readings after no swimming all day and partly cloudy partly sunny for the weather

Fc 5.5
Cc .5
Tc 6
Ph 7.5

I feel like I'm finally getting where I need to be on this so that I can stay above 4 r without struggling all the time. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Weather has been a bit wonky here today and last night, I do think I finally have things dialed in well enough that my maintenance will be just adding some chlorine daily. I figure we'll give it a couple more days and make sure that routine is on point and then maybe start talking about adjusting my ta if that's necessary. I haven't really taken a reading on it recently but I know it was fairly high when I was doing it before. I did see Over The Back Fence yesterday that one of my neighbors just got a small pool and I'm just waiting to see how long it takes them to ask me how I care for mine :)

Amen! This has truly been a saga that I could not have gotten through without all of you! Day by day I have begun to understand more and more everything involved and how it all ties together and I can't even believe that I ever let a pool store read my water at all and tell me anything!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.