Think i may need help soon!

Higher than needed TA will increase the frequency of acid additions. People often bring it down so they can adjust pH less often. Anything in the TFPC recommended levels will work fine for your water chemistry. For me, it's something I want to do weekly, so I'm lowering mine to get to that point. As the TA drops, you'll begin to sense a sweet spot for TA and pH which varies by pool, refilling/draining/evaporation and water source. A fair number of people find a sweet spot where TA and pH remain steady for months.

Great to keep records for sure, you'll definitely see the trends better that way :)

I think I'm going to make a chart that I can start keeping my numbers on so that I can start seeing the patterns in all of this. And I think I will include things like rainfall and temperature. I'm a little bit of a numbers nerd and I see patterns in numbers that most people miss so I think this could be a fun exercise for me ( I am an accounting analyst and office manager by day :kim: )

- - - Updated - - -

I read on the pool chemistry section I believe that you should not adjust your total alkalinity just to achieve a certain number unless you're having problems in other areas as a result of that alkalinity number being high. Any thoughts on that from you guys? Should I figure out that total alkalinity number and then start adjusting it down to what it should be because if I remember right it was pretty high

I made an excel chart to keep track of my levels. Works great for comparisons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took some time today and practiced with the stuff that came with my kit till I was sure I knew how to read a cya test. I have concluded that my cya is actually at 40 and not 50. That may be part of the reason why I'm losing so much chlorine during the day when it's hot. Considering we have quite a few hundred plus days in Kansas during the summer should I consider raising my cya to at least 50? I'm sure that's been discussed somewhere in this thread but there's so much info in here I may never find it if I go back and read it all!

Currently I am taking my free chlorine level up to 9 every night and by the next evening it's down to 5 but that's only because it's only been in the upper 80s lower 90s for the past several days. When its 96 and above I lose down to three to three-and-a-half by the next evening, so a total loss of between 5 and 6 FC when the heat is up... I've only been having to put in about 58 ounces of liquid chlorine each day for the past several days but when the heat was 96 or higher daily I was having to add at least 80 and up to 96 ounces of chlorine per day

Sounds like a CYA of 50 would be a good goal for you.

Share how you were able to get the CYA spot on please. It is always nice to know how different people do it. I had to play with the lighting and how I held the tube to get mine eyes dialed in on it.

:kim:

I used the water that came in my tf100 kit that is dialed in at 50 cya and I created a test and then filled up the vial to exactly 50 and played with it until I could see that the black dot was not visible. Knowing that the sample was a definite 50 PPM I was able to see exactly what it should look like when it is correct and by retesting I concluded that it looked that way at 40 not 50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Correct, the sample that I did with the stuff in my kit is dialed in at 50 cya, so I looked at that at different angles until I could not see the dot.. then I did the same test with my water and when it looked the same way as the 50 did as far as how much I could see the dot, i stopped and when I checked I was at 40 not 50. .. I think if I raise it to 50 it will make all the difference in the world and how much I'm spending on Chlorine

I find it stunning that on the label for the stabilizer that I have it says to maintain the correct stabilizer concentration by checking the stabilizer level at least twice during each swimming session and add product as needed. If I understand correctly the only way to lower your cya is through loss of water the evaporation, Splash out, draini g or massive rain that would displace some of your water... the instructions on this label just seem a little bit iffy to me... luckily I know better

... If I understand correctly the only way to lower your cya is through loss of water the evaporation, Splash out, draini g or massive rain that would displace some of your water...
hate to be a stickler but evaporation doesn't lower CYA: water evaporates, CYA remains in the pool. Splash out, drain, back washing- any activity which leads to direct pool water loss decreases CYA but those usually don't amount for a lot. CYA also drops very slowly on its own so at the end there's no quick / easy way to get rid of it short of doing partial drain.

I would think that if you lose water through any mean, whether it be evaporation , draining or Splash out and then add more water back in, it dilutes your cya slowly but surely... what would be the difference between losing 2 inches of water to Splash out and 2 inches of water to evaporation? I agree that it's a negligible amount but over time it adds up

I would think that if you lose water through any mean, whether it be evaporation , draining or Splash out and then add more water back in, it dilutes your cya slowly but surely... what would be the difference between losing 2 inches of water to Splash out and 2 inches of water to evaporation? I agree that it's a negligible amount but over time it adds up
When water evaporates most other things which were dissolved in it remain behind in the pool. When water is splashed out / drained it is lost in its entirety- along with everything which was dissolved in it. I wish evaporation would take away CYA with it as it is quite substantial during summer but unfortunately only water is lost: the rest of things like CYA, CH, salt all remain in the pool and simply raise slightly in concentration until you add some fill water to bring the water level back.

This effect is responsible for my pool high CH - fill water has CH 170 ppm but my pool water has CH 500 ppm: over years water evaporated while calcium remained behind then I'd add tap water to restore water level, then it would evaporate again leaving small amount of calcium behind and so on. As a result I'm facing partial drain in a year or two or will have to install water softener.

I added the CYA according to pool Math and will give it several days to settle in and then retest and make sure I'm at 50. ... I thought it seemed like I was losing an excessive amount of chlorine so I bet this is going to fix that and at least bring it within a reasonable amount

- - - Updated - - -

Makes sense. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.