There's mustard algae in my pool, but unsure if I have the tools I need to tackle it

ddeg7

Aug 12, 2023
NY
Hi all,

I'm still learning about pool maintenance and planning to use SLAM next year. For now, I'm working with what I've got. It's almost mid-August, and I'm wondering if it's worth tackling the persistent yellow algae before reopening the pool.

My pool got hit with algae after weeks of thunderstorms and heavy rain. I tried using a handheld vacuum, thinking it was dirt to no avail. realized it's yellow algae due to its persistent growth, quick debris return, and buildup on the walls. Confirming this, the bag filter of my handheld vacuum had neon yellow residue. I ruled out pollen since it doesn't float on the pool's surface or end up in the skimmer basket. The handheld vacuum was dispersing the algae. YouTube videos suggest using a manual hose vacuum set to waste for effective debris cleanup, rather than a handheld device.

Check out the attached photos – one shows the pool at its worst, and the other is after a triple shock treatment. I'm not sure if it's smart to clean it up now in mid-August, or if I should just prepare it for storage. Cleaning it now seems like a good option. Should I invest in a manual hose vacuum? I'm somewhat unsure where to go from here.

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo1.png
    photo1.png
    612.6 KB · Views: 14
  • photo2.png
    photo2.png
    567.8 KB · Views: 11
Welcome to the forum!

The right now priority should be a SLAM. Vacuuming live algae is pointless and you should only vacuum algae AFTER it is dead. Follow these guidelines:

SLAM Process

Reactions: Stump
Good luck with that. You will end spending a LOT more money next year cleaning up the mess. A SLAM is the ONLY way to fix you issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.