The equipment struggle is real / 2 steps forward 1 back

I was talking to the pool guy who opened my pool today about the equipment shortages. He told me that his pool building and service company saw the shortage coming and ordered a lot of equipment a few months ago. He said they have lots of stuff for their customers but he was not sure it would last through the summer.

So those who had the capital to stock up and planned ahead seem to have equipment. Companies who don't carry any inventory and rely on drop shipping from a supplier are stuck with nothing to sell.
My PB drove down to houston last fall and bought enough equipment for pool builds all this year. He normally does about 60, but is up to 80 because of covid. On the downside, because he prebought he cant give people much choice.

Reactions: Snoobug and Newdude
I’ve always said I’d rather be lucky than smart any day of the week. I cast a large net the *smart* way. Phone calls and Emails close and cross country. Hours spent there and web stalking. But it all came down to plane old dumb luck.

I had a random job at a pool store a few towns away. Yeahyeahyeah I’ll fix your XYZ blindfolded. But hey, while I do that would you mind checking something for me ????

It’s in your WAREHOUSE?????????
You’ll have it tomorrow???????????

4E643CCF-6D17-4A64-8AA7-58B1EFB9B8EF.jpeg

it didn’t come cheap at $1650 +tax, but this one was available unlike all the online sales and discounts going in the $1300 range.

So, I will let Sta-Rite Stephanie get acquainted with Intelliflo Irene. **raccoon screeching**.

Ladies !! LADIES !!!!! Behave YOURSELVES!!!!

I hope it doesn’t get weird when IC60 Iris shows up. Or maybe until she comes it should be Ivanna IC60. ?? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The TX storms and Suez Canal have made the covid related plastic supply chain issues even worse. I was supposed to have a Latham fiberglass pool delivered on 4/28, and they only just notified us early this week that they now don’t expect to deliver until 6/2. It was literally the day before the PB was about to start the dig. Heartbreaking news for the kids who were looking forward to seeing the diggers and backhoes in the morning (and let’s be honest, me too!). I’m worried they are going to miss the 6/2 deadline too.
Luckily, PB already set up the equipment pad with heat pump, filter, pump, and swg. No plumbing yet of course, but now I’m going to message my PB to make sure he sets aside pipes/valves for my build.
Good luck everyone!

The TX storms and Suez Canal have made the covid related plastic supply chain issues even worse. I was supposed to have a Latham fiberglass pool delivered on 4/28, and they only just notified us early this week that they now don’t expect to deliver until 6/2. It was literally the day before the PB was about to start the dig. Heartbreaking news for the kids who were looking forward to seeing the diggers and backhoes in the morning (and let’s be honest, me too!). I’m worried they are going to miss the 6/2 deadline too.
Luckily, PB already set up the equipment pad with heat pump, filter, pump, and swg. No plumbing yet of course, but now I’m going to message my PB to make sure he sets aside pipes/valves for my build.
Good luck everyone!
That is terrible news. I would be heartbroken. Our project might stall out because we can't find an electrician...

Reactions: Newdude
That is terrible news. I would be heartbroken. Our project might stall out because we can't find an electrician...
ask your builder or Call a few pool companies and ask who they use for electrical when they build pools.. someone will eventually give you a name or company..

As for your pool company they do not want you to have a SWG because they can not make money of you installing ozone or fusion craziness :)
Want to go with Saltwater, pool company will do it but is not recommending.

ask your builder or Call a few pool companies and ask who they use for electrical when they build pools.. someone will eventually give you a name or company..

As for your pool company they do not want you to have a SWG because they can not make money of you installing ozone or fusion craziness :)
I need to change that. I think they want to sell me the chemicals. They don't do ozone or fusion. I live in quite a rural area so it seems that electricians can take plenty of jobs in their big towns and skip the 45 minute drives to a smaller town.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I need to change that. I think they want to sell me the chemicals. They don't do ozone or fusion. I live in quite a rural area so it seems that electricians can take plenty of jobs in their big towns and skip the 45 minute drives to a smaller town.
Also, electrician contracted. He stopped by. Apparently he physically mailed me a bid. 🤣 We rarely check our mail. Well that was embarassing.

I just went through this Crud with my upgrades for this year. My reno finished late last year so we had about two weeks to swim (in freezing water) and that's when my wife immediately authorized the purchase of a heater. I didn't want to buy one then and have it sit all winter and install it in the spring only to find it was defective, so I decided to wait until spring thinking maybe the supply issues would improve. Then Texas froze and killed any possibility of that happening. So I thought for sure that getting the stuff I wanted was going to be next to impossible.

Interestingly, it only took two tries to find the heater I wanted, in stock, and at the lowest price I could find anywhere. It arrived in six days. Then I needed two Jandy NeverLubes, and immediately noticed the price gouging going on with those things. I paid $40 ea for them last year, and again it took a couple hours of searching but found what I needed in stock, did have to pay $60 each this time though. The problem came with the SWCG. INYO claimed to have it in stock, and they had the best price I could find, so I gave it a shot. Well after one week of no response at all, I finally called simply to verify that they actually had it, and when they expected it would ship. They were unable to answer either question. Seven days after I ordered, they couldn't even tell me if they had it let alone when it might ship. So I canceled and found it on Amazon, and received it two days later (paid $50 more though). I have not had great experiences with INYO thus far. Solar cover was easy, just clicked, paid, and it showed up two days later.

So I guess i'm fortunate in that my new pool is up and running, and barring the failure of brand new equipment, I shouldn't need anything else this season.

Reactions: Snoobug and Newdude
I have not had great experiences with INYO thus far
It’s not ‘them’. Their system just knows they can get XXX units from the manufacturer. (In normal times). My purchase was verified on the phone with INYO and evidently immediately after it, the system placed the order with Pentair where it was immediately kicked back. The same happened at AZpoolsupply. Recsupply called for their orders instead of using a system, took my info and called me back to say it wasn’t available anytime soon.

Everybody above was as apologetic as possible but they can’t perform any miracles at the moment.

All the supply chain delays affect everyone up and down the chain. If you can't get part A you can't build gizmo B yadda yadda yadda... Ya know this all started when 'Dude was caught joy riding a tanker through the Suez last month. No, driving a cargo ship is not like driving a bucket truck! Here's satellite pic where he was trying to back it into his driveway.

Flanders Bay.JPG

It’s not ‘them’. Their system just knows they can get XXX units from the manufacturer. (In normal times). My purchase was verified on the phone with INYO and evidently immediately after it, the system placed the order with Pentair where it was immediately kicked back. The same happened at AZpoolsupply. Recsupply called for their orders instead of using a system, took my info and called me back to say it wasn’t available anytime soon.

Everybody above was as apologetic as possible but they can’t perform any miracles at the moment.

It is "them". When they advertise something as "In Stock" on their site, they need to at least be able to verify stock when asked. They were the only major dealer who's site said "IN STOCK" for the SWCG and that's why I chose them. After INYO's failure, I contacted the dealer on Amazon and had a reply in 15 minutes verifying that they had it in stock and could ship it out that day. INYO couldn't even muster that much info after SEVEN DAYS.

I knew full well, going into this, that getting equipment was going to be tricky. I don't expect "miracles", I simply expect basic processes to be in place when it comes to dealers as big as INYO. All they had to tell me was "yes it is in stock and should ship in the next week" or "no it's not in stock and we don't have an ETA at this time". There's no excuse for that kind of failure.

t is "them". When they advertise something as "In Stock" on their site, they need to at least be able to verify stock when asked
It’s a big guy VS little guy debate. The big guys all checked their systems which did not properly reflect the current fiasco. The little guy where I stumbled upon my filter called the single guy in the warehouse who walked over and personally laid eyes on my filter. I scored with the filter with the little guy and I scored with the pump at the big guy. It all comes down to luck at that moment

All the big guys had big red banner disclaimers on the top of their sites warning of disruptions and shipping problems.

I believe to have a better chance that a big supplier gets stock before the little guy. Or if a little guy does get supplies, he might have promised them to his cousin even though you/me were next in line. Whattayagonnado?

I’m super glad yours worked out though albeit with some headaches. :)

So I got the old pool down. Lemme tell ya !!! It was built to last in 2002. There was some algae behind the liner which wiped off by hand, but most of it was as shiny as the day it went in, even the parts down 2 ft. The uprights were in perfect condition as well. Of course when you *want* it to fall apart........ :ROFLMAO: 77F752F4-5F75-4FEA-94AA-CF821290C2D9.jpeg77552EB3-CC0A-485C-92F6-4E8A15C65C30.jpegA71D61E3-6745-48CC-A0DF-66A17AA6E7D5.jpeg143D1AEA-F9BB-4D1D-9819-9182FD4FAF56.jpegB7D0BC84-F375-42FF-89E0-6D9BEB9BA10B.jpeg

Reactions: mguzzy and Snoobug
They don;t build them like they used to.

Can you buy that model pool today?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.