Testing kits question - new pool fill

We desperately need some outdoor furniture and I am hoping to score some on a super deal now that summer is ending. Lol
With an end of the year completion last year, I kicked that can down the road until this year. We did really well all things considered in June, finding loungers, chairs and deck boxes half price with some sort of early season clearance at Bjs.

Reactions: JC707
Ok per Pebble tech instructions, day 14 I can finally fire up the heater! I just turned on the spa heater for first time - worked great!

One thing I did notice was a more stronger chlorine smell from the spa only...not like a commercial indoor pool type smell but of bleach if that makes sense.

Not sure if this is normal when heating up spa water? Got it fired up to 101°. I didn't get in but my kids were in it for like 5 minutes or so...going between pool and spa jumping in. I havent really notice this smell yet, until today when water was heated up for first time.

My first thought is CC's? I do run the spillover mode everyday for 30 minutes to pull water from the pool and into the spa hoping it keeps chlorine fresh in the spa.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
Probably CC's.
When you first smelled it would have been the time to test.

Did you check both pool and spa FC and CC when you were all done - and dose accordingly?

Probably CC's.
When you first smelled it would have been the time to test.

Did you check both pool and spa FC and CC when you were all done - and dose accordingly?

I did not. And all my testing I've done thus far has been in the pool itself, never from the Spa.

I'm doing my next round of testing before work tomorrow at 6am, along with my daily chlorine addition, probably some acid as well.

I'll be sure to test after swimming activities going forward. And also test the spa.

Say I did test and spa FC/CC was off but pool was OK....how would that work out as far as dosing. Add chlorine directly into spa, but make sure to change my gallons in pool math accordingly?

I'll be sure to test after swimming activities going forward. And also test the spa.
Test both for a while, until you get a handle on how each react to usage.

Maybe schedule spillover mode to run for 15-20 minutes after spa usage. This should refresh the spa water adequately after usage. So, if spa usage is done by 8pm, maybe schedule Spillover mode for 9pm for 15-20 minutes.

Running Spillover mode thru the automation a couple of times daily should be sufficient to keep the spa properly chlorinated.

Aside from some issues the PB needs to address post completion, Everything is going OK testing wise.

Brushing the pool I did notice a bunch of brown dirt kick off the middle of pool/deep end. Wondering if it's alge or just pollen/dirt that I haven't been able to vacuum out yet. I guess I need to take a swim with goggles to get a close up? Lol

Will be doing a OCLT this week as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess I need to take a swim with goggles to get a close up? Lol
You can't discern the difference of the two, more often than not. If you see something, or have *any* inkling something is brewing, you OCLT. That'll tell you if you need to take further action. You can also go straight to SLAM and OCLT the first night with clear water. Either way, you'll retain the clear water leg up in the battle if a SLAM is warranted.

If you pass, then it's environmental and you can sleep like a baby while it runs its course. Be extra sure you're free and clear of minimum at all times while it does.

Will be doing a OCLT this week as well
Rookies sit around delaying the OCLT, and while it's not the case here, they usually waste valuable time making excuses why they don't need to.

Pros OCLT/SLAM first and ask questions later.

One of the above two is gifted a swamp for their troubles.

Right on new dude.

Re-reading the pebble start up it says no shock (in this case SLAM) for the first 30 days. If I fail an OCLT how might you recommend navigating this?

i will say water looks nice and clear, just that dirt when sweeping has me concerned. I guess first step is knock out an OCLT asap then go from there....I might be worrying for no reason lol.

I am 2 weeks out from hitting my 30 day mark.

Re-reading the pebble start up it says no shock (in this case SLAM) for the first 30 days. If I fail an OCLT how might you recommend navigating this?
GREAT question. And im not sure how I'd handle it. I mean. I know the science says that the pool at SLAM level is buffered by CYA is less harsh than the tap water that filled the pool, so all good on that front.

I'm not sure if I'd want to risk being caught by the PB though, possibly voiding a warranty. (Although they'd find a way out of it eventually anyway :roll:).

Meh. We'll cross that bridge when we burn it. OCLT and maybe it's not even an issue.

What does "no shock" mean?

I'd add 3-5ppm of liquid chlorine per day to keep the algae at bay, then slam at 30 days.

Nevermind it wasn't on the pebble start up guide but the plaster/pebble start up guide here on TFP. Screen shot below.

I am guessing this means no high level of chlorine for first month 🤔 Wonder what high chlorine does to new finishes?

Yeah I will do that daily, thanks for the help. 👍

Let's see what this OCLT gives me. 🫰

Screenshot_20230906_194108_Brave.jpg

Fill water test results:

PH: 8.2
TA: 150
CH: 125

Did the TA twice as this seems super high. Can that be right?

Guess I will be adding a lot of acid just to maintain?

Had my pool school orientation yesterday at 12pm. So glad that is over, dude was unpleasant and I believe it's because I informed him I won't be needing his services and it rubbed him the wrong way. Whatever....

He pointed out the Nature SWG and went over it, said to buy the mineral cartridge as the one I have now is only a 7 day start up cartridge. I nodded but in my head was like NOPE. Lol I need to see if Nature sells just a basic cap I can buy so I can remove that 7 day start up cartridge and replace with only a cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.