Testing Bromine with a Taylor 2006 Kit

You multiply your FC result by 2.25 to get your bromine level. So a result of 1ppm FC (5 drops on a 25mL water sample) is equivalent to 2.25ppm Total Bromine.

Taylor sells a test kit that has reagents specifically formulated to give bromine values in more round numbers but it’s not worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Better question - what are you using bromine for?? Bromine in a hot tub is ok. Bromine in a pool is nothing but trouble.

Reactions: frustratedpoolmom
I have been hired to look after a neighbours pool and it's bromine.

My condolences :ROFLMAO:

Bromine pools can be a royal PITA to keep stable. The main problem is there is no way to stabilize bromine loss to UV so an outdoor bromine pool will use up a lot of bromine very quickly. If it’s an indoor pool, then your a bit better off because there’s no bromine loss to UV. Brominating tablets add DMH to a pool which acts in similar ways as CYA does in a chlorine pool. Too much DMH can lead to overstabilization and makes the bromine less effective. So, caring for this pool everyday is a real trick.

Just remember that with the DPD test you are reading TOTAL bromine (sanitizing bromine + combined bromine).

Hello.
I have a bromine pool, and want to know the relation between the effectiveness of FC and effectivess of bromine.

I know that atomic weigh of 'Br' is 2,25 times bigger than 'Cl'. I suppose this is why you can use DPD pink-color test to measure ppm of bromine (just multiply by 2,25 and get the Br ppm). But what I want to know is the relation of "effectiveness" of ppm-FC vs ppm-Br.

So, supposing I have a bromide bank and "all" my sanitizer is bromine, if I have 2 ppm of FC in DPD pink-test, I know I have 4,50 ppm of bromine.
But this is mean that I have same "sanitization effectiveness" as if I have 2 ppm FC? Is this test enough to see that I have correct DMH (no overstabilization)

I have read a lot of contradictory articles about Chlorine vs Bromine effectiveness (the CYA vs dimethyl-hydantoin stabilicers, Bromamines sanitization vs chloramines ,etc...), and I have seen "JoyfulNoise" knows a lot about that.

Dont worry about my bromine degradation... I have a double-wall polycarbonate cover, that seems to heavy protect from UVA rays. I have a "surprisingly" low dayly loss of disinfectant (at least in dayly DPD tests less than 0.5 ppm).

Last edited:
Hi!

Part R-0872 is the FAS-DPD titrating reagent for bromine. (FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (for bromine)). Instructions for use with DPD powder are as follows:

1. Rinse and fill sample tube to desired mark with
water to be tested.

NOTE: For 1 drop = 0.5 ppm, use 25 mL sample.
For 1 drop = 1.25 ppm, use 10 mL sample.

2. Add 2 dippers R-0870 DPD Powder. Swirl until
dissolved. Sample will turn pink if bromine is
present.

NOTE: If pink color disappears, add R-0870 DPD
Powder until color turns pink.

3. Add R-0872 FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (bromine) dropwise,
swirling and counting after each drop, until color
changes from pink to colorless. Always hold bottle
in vertical position.

4. Multiply drops in Step 3 by drop equivalence (Step 1).
Record as parts per million (ppm) total bromine.

Reactions: TFP-Guy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.