Taming the big green monster

• Haha
Reactions: newdude and mariane
Have not posted in a while but the pool is looking good.
The grackles have been avoiding the pool with use of "dead" crows attached to the top rails.
Now all we need is heated water. We're waiting for the bird onslaught and temps to improve. Then we'll fire up the heater and be able to swim.
Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and advice.
Let the swim season begin in Michigan. :party:

Trying to figure out what I'm missing, or just not diligent enough with the SLAM.
Been busy with life, vacation, home improvement but made sure FC never dropped below swim level, 7 with CYA of 30. Or so I thought.
Nothing in the pool except water, vinyl liner, occasional leaves dropping in from the trees, ducks swimming in it (yikes!).
No ladder, no lights, no chairs (lol). Just water. Vacuuming and brushing but FC dropping.
FC dropped to 11 a couple days ago before I retested the CYA and bumped it up from 30 to 40, thinking it might have been the sun burning off some of the chlorine. Full sun all day.
Dead algae several mornings. Last night failed OCLT. Lost 5 FC overnight.
Today, FC dropping like a rock 1 per hour. But still above SLAM levels, which is 16 for 40 CYA.
CYA 40, TA 80, Salt (non SWG) 2200, Borates 10, pH not applicable.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Just so I am following-
you completed slam then went to normal fc levels. (7ppm /cya 30) or are you still slamming?
Also, have you ever deep cleaned your filter?

Just so I am following-
you completed slam then went to normal fc levels. (7ppm /cya 30) or are you still slamming?
Also, have you ever deep cleaned your filter?
I let it go to swim level 2 weeks ago. It seemed to be okay for a couple days then took it to SLAM level and shut off the pump when we went out of town for 4 days at the end of May.
Then when we got back there was clear water but dead algae on the bottom. So, I brought it back up to SLAM level at 30 cya. Went out of town for 2 days last weekend so again took it to SLAM level before we left. While gone, FC dropped below SLAM level.
Brought back up to SLAM, still losing FC and OCLT failed, saw ducks in pool daily. Also bumped CYA up to 40, thinking the sun was burning off some of the chlorine.
Filter was deep cleaned after opening and after the green water turned to cloudy blue beginning of May.

Something brewed somewhere at some point- leaving it with no circulation for an extended period of time could have allowed funky stuff to grow in the plumbing even though the pool itself had adequate fc. At any rate SLAM on!
Curious why you turned the pool off when going on vacation?

Something brewed somewhere at some point- leaving it with no circulation for an extended period of time could have allowed funky stuff to grow in the plumbing even though the pool itself had adequate fc. At any rate SLAM on!
Curious why you turned the pool off when going on vacation?
We turn the pool off when we're gone for several days in a row since there's no one else to watch it.
Thanks.
SLAM on it is. :poke:

We turn the pool off when we're gone for several days in a row since there's no one else to watch it.
Thanks.
SLAM on it is. :poke:
I have a camera (well now I have 2) pointing at the pool & equipment so I can check in from afar & then call in reinforcements if needed when I’m away. I can watch to be sure that the pump came on/shut off when it was supposed to, if the robot ran as scheduled, there’s an unwanted guest, if something blew in or is spraying water everywhere or whatever. There’s motion alerts. Poolcam 1 is pretty old & needs an upgrade but it still gets the job done 😁
IMG_6441.jpeg2CAA8EA03BF1_1686341596_album_local.jpg

Reactions: mariane

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great set up. Something for us to consider since we've been in and out a lot these last few years.
In the past before we hard-plumbed, a hose would give out late at night or while we were out of town. Back then the neighbor could keep an eye on the pool but that's no longer the case.
Thanks

One other thought, if you do that again (turn the pool off when you’re away for an extended time)
When you get back do a backwash & rinse first to run fresh chlorinated water through the plumbing and sand without putting whatever has been sitting in there back in the pool.

One other thought, if you do that again (turn the pool off when you’re away for an extended time)
When you get back do a backwash & rinse first to run fresh chlorinated water through the plumbing and sand without putting whatever has been sitting in there back in the pool.
Thanks for the tip.
I'll need to use it the end of the month for sure.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.