Taming the big green monster

Why going so far over slam level?
Its 24ppm for cya of 60
Did you lower ph to 7.2 before raising fc?
Don’t forget to yank & scrub the algae hotel… I mean steps 🤣

Reactions: mariane
Why going so far over slam level?
Its 24ppm for cya of 60
Did you lower ph to 7.2 before raising fc?
Don’t forget to yank & scrub the algae hotel… I mean steps 🤣
I knew we would be away from the pool for at least 5 hours and unable to check it. I forgot to check pH beforehand so I won't be messing with it very much. The algae hotel is "sidelined" on a tarp during the winter and then during the opening slam. 🙂

Reactions: Mdragger88
Already looking less mean green! Hit it hard when you get back. When fc has fallen to 10ppm or less check & adjust that ph & slam on 👍🏻I know what you mean about the crazy weather- we had an ice storm & then torrential rains & tornadoes in short succession around here, now its like summer already.

Green no more (hahaha) monster slaying Day 2:
FC 15.5, CC .5, TA 80, pH 8 (had added some MA yesterday but knew it wouldn't change much)
Bringing FC up to SLAM again and adding a little MA to inch down the pH but not too worried about it. I tried to show the bottom with settling dead algae but didn't show up very well.
20230411_094627.jpg20230411_094815.jpg20230411_094829.jpg20230411_094927.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I thought it would be a hoot this time since it's never been this green before
And a magnificent green it was. Key word there - "WAS". Always good to see clear visual evidence of a SLAM in action. :goodjob:

And a magnificent green it was. Key word there - "WAS". Always good to see clear visual evidence of a SLAM in action. :goodjob:
We always encourage people doing a SLAM to make sure they maintain shock level FC. My pool is proof of how quickly SLAMs can work.
Pics at the end of Day 2 SLAM. A little dark but it does look clearer.

20230411_193246.jpg20230411_193303.jpg20230411_193351.jpg20230411_193338.jpg20230411_193410.jpg

Last edited:
Day 3 SLAM. Well sort of.
Revenge of the green monster hit this morning.
A fitting came loose during the night or early morning, and we lost several hundred gallons of water.
The pump was still running, did not cease up and water was still dumping into it. It didn't flood ours's or the neighbors' yards because we have a sewer access grate in the back of our yard. Though it did cause a lot of night crawlers to come up to the surface. LOL
Currently refilling the pool which will take most of the morning.
No point taking any readings. I'm also low on regents, ordered more, arriving Thursday. More hair nets Friday.
The plan was to vacuum and then backwash since the pressure had gone up. Won't be doing that any time soon.

The water does look clearer.

20230412_072757.jpg20230412_072850.jpg20230412_072906.jpg20230412_072940.jpg20230412_072947.jpg

I would go with a glued union at that spot since you already have pvc. Those rubber things are terrible. Hose clamps are also terrible . I assume you have that fitting so you can winterize. A union will make that a snap.
In the interim you can sure your bets with 2 hose clamps on each side of the rubber thing. Right next to each other .

Reactions: Newdude and mariane
I would also still add some liquid chlorine to avoid losing momentum - pour it in the hose stream. Brush it around. It’s definitely looking much better!

I would go with a glued union at that spot since you already have pvc. Those rubber things are terrible
+1. There's 2 kinds of Ferncos. Ones that have popped off, and ones that wait until you turn out of the driveway on your way to work a double shift before they pop.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.