Taking the plunge... (pun intended)

Thank you for the reply! I’ve attached photos of the pump and filter. I’m attempting to compare like for like with Pentair. My main concern is that it was supposed to be a Variable speed Pentair pump and the Jandy we have is no where near that comparison.
Any idea what cost difference is? Asked the PB to provide the difference and all he stated was “Jandy was a bit more - no extra cost to you”

I always suggest checking with Polytec Pools for In Stock inventory. You have not said what equipment you expected but Polytec is up front about what they have. Pumps seem to be in stock. Certain automation systems are not.
A3EFD3D6-5EB3-4B2E-B372-DE44A092DDBF.jpeg74511334-10FB-4DF6-89E1-043B3EB3C596.jpeg

The filter is fine. That pump is NOT what you want. It will not even be able to be sold as of July 19,2021. A VS pump is what you want.

Were you going to get an automation system?

Yes we planned to
Then be careful mixing manufacturer equipment. Automation, pump, and SWCG is easier if all from one manufacturer.

Do understand that Jandy equipment is NOT DIY friendly for future repair or adjustments. They require you to go through authorized service centers. Very little Jandy equipment is for sale to the public.

Then be careful mixing manufacturer equipment. Automation, pump, and SWCG is easier if all from one manufacturer.

Do understand that Jandy equipment is NOT DIY friendly for future repair or adjustments. They require you to go through authorized service centers. Very little Jandy equipment is for sale to the public.
Ok - we have a Pentair intelliconnect system here in its box

Ok - we have a Pentair intelliconnect system here in its box
The Intelliconnect is the basic Pentair system. I doubt it will control (other than maybe turning on and off) the Jandy equipment. Confirm that with the builder.

PB is taking a LONNNNNGGG time to complete our build. Not a huge pool, 32x20 with minimal concrete decking (<400 SQFT). But They’ve given us every excuse they can throw at us.
Rain. Freeze. Cement warehouse burn down. Crew mix ups. Scheduling conflict. City inspection delayed. Etc

With that said - I am curious to others timelines, especially those also in Central Texas. For reference:
Mid November: Signed contract with our completion date to be early-mid March)
Jan 6: Digging finally begins after many mixups with the city (so we’re told).
April 27: Just finished concrete decking. Only things left to do are clean up, equipment install, electrical, plumbing, cool decking and start up. I say only things left, that is still quite a bit and they say may take another 2-4 weeks. So in all, looking like nearly 5 months since the dig and 6.5 since signing the contract.

thanks for bearing with me - so what’s your experience/timeline been?
we are in austin. Austin is taking around 3 months to approve permits, so nov to jan seems about right. We requested our permits at the beginning of august and they were approved beginning of nov and then the dig started thankgiving week. We filled the pool march 26th.

There was a lot of bad weather between then. Around 5-6 weeks of rain, the icepocalypse, major holidays, and spring break.

You didnt mention plaster, is your plaster done? If so you should fill your pool right away. Not sure how you would do that without equipment.

Equipment is a day along with electrical, plumbing, and gas. Maybe two days
Plaster is a day, maybe 2 days if they need to acid wash.

There are equipment shortages so if your PB didnt lock in equipment that could cause delays.

Subs are backed up pretty bad so it isnt surprising.

Last edited:
In Austin. We signed our contract June 11, 2020. They said it would be done October 2020. Finally filled with water April 2021. Essentially zero progress on punchlist since plaster.

We are in Leander, signed in October and they dug late December. Gas was just connected this past week and we just have decking, electrical, and plaster left. The decking should be completed this week, so hopefully we’ll be totally finished this month. Talking with the builder and neighbors who are also in the middle of builds, I think the delays are legitimate. We had to change our tile choices after the original continued getting pushed back, and I went with our builder to two distributors in Austin about five weeks ago. Almost everything was out of stock with delays. I also heard equipment is hard to get but ours was delivered right before the winter storm. Despite the delays and the frustration of dealing with the mess in the backyard, I’m happy with my builder and I can understand their situation. Last year the demand for pools skyrocketed, so builders were getting more contracts than ever, and now a couple of big unforeseen events have caused significant delays with labor and materials.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As the title states - plaster company came out and plastered Quartzscapes Tahoe Blue. I took some photos of some “worry” areas just to see what y’all thought. Been sunny and 80-90 here all day (just FYI).
Are these discolorations down the side and the streaky waves around the sun deck common for plaster that was just done?
Thank you for your feedback.

Attachments

• 09E0F468-D25B-4AD9-B4D2-C02994B45162.jpeg
    09E0F468-D25B-4AD9-B4D2-C02994B45162.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 3BB49245-0C83-4434-B573-9298FAA23A11.jpeg
    3BB49245-0C83-4434-B573-9298FAA23A11.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 377066D3-0036-4681-B13C-66B66AB061DC.jpeg
    377066D3-0036-4681-B13C-66B66AB061DC.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 6A47C048-0D93-42A2-BB71-45E09943214E.jpeg
    6A47C048-0D93-42A2-BB71-45E09943214E.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 47
My builder said they’re leaving the plaster to sit overnight and will acid wash it tomorrow. Is this normal? Almost EVERYTHING I’ve read says to fill the pool immediately.
They will start to fill the pool after they acid wash. Hopefully all those worry areas will be gone after acid wash. :giggle:

If a surface needs to be acid washed they wait until the next day to do it. Regular plaster doesn’t need the acid wash though so they usually fill it immediately. But from what I’ve learned from on here, it is best to wait 6 hours to fill it.

Currently filling pool - at this rate and my guesstimate, I believe it should be complete and midway up tile line at approximately 2-4am tomorrow.
My question, do I need to stay up or set and alarm to check on it? Or is it ok to overflow? Or should I stop it once it hits bottom of tile line tonight and finish tomorrow morning?

suggestions?

Attachments

• C7C4BE90-49DD-490D-BEC7-49217568194F.jpeg
    C7C4BE90-49DD-490D-BEC7-49217568194F.jpeg
    350.2 KB · Views: 27
I set an alarm and got up and stopped the water. I don't think I would overflow it although I am not sure if that would hurt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.