Taking the plunge... (pun intended)

tclary47

Aug 15, 2020
Austin, TX
Wife and I are set on a new fiberglass builder. We got 5 quotes and this is the 2nd cheapest but most open and trustworthy in our opinion. Father-son team and I am looking to confirm the pricing for what we're getting.

16x30 Fiberglass Pool (freeform)
9,000 gal
3' concrete decking w/cantilever coping
Hayward Equipment: Tristar Pump; Cartridge Filter sized to pool; automatic chlorinator; E-Command Controller
PAL 2000 LED lights
Water Wall w/ 2 sheer descents (includes 163 sq. ft. additional concrete)
Cool Coating on all new pool concrete and existing patio
3 year parts and labor on pump and filter
Lifetime transferable warranty on Pool Shell
15 year finish warranty on pool shell

All-in Cost: $50,000

Appreciate any and all insight on this (We are such rookies with this stuff)

Thank you!

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Welcome to the forum!
You really want a variable speed pump, a large cartridge filter (at least 200 SF, preferably bigger), and a SaltWater Chlorine Generator. The detail above is a bit light on specifics.
Are you planning on water line tile?
Are you planning to get a robot to clean the pool?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

tclary47

Aug 15, 2020
Austin, TX
Welcome to the forum!
You really want a variable speed pump, a large cartridge filter (at least 200 SF, preferably bigger), and a SaltWater Chlorine Generator. The detail above is a bit light on specifics.
Are you planning on water line tile?
Are you planning to get a robot to clean the pool?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
My apologies for the lack of specifics - I have asked for the specifications document to be emailed. I seemed to have lost it.

We decided against the water line tile.
Yes to the robot - will be bought 3rd party.
If I remember correctly the pump is a Tristar which is only a single speed. I inquired about the Tristar VS (is this a deal breaker?)
Filter will be over 200SF

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
If you stay with a trichlor erosion chlorinator, then a single speed pump will work, but it will be costly in electricity (they use right at 1 kWh per hp) and are noisy. Is a shame to see a new pool installed with out dated equipment.

tclary47

Aug 15, 2020
Austin, TX
If you stay with a trichlor erosion chlorinator, then a single speed pump will work, but it will be costly in electricity (they use right at 1 kWh per hp) and are noisy. Is a shame to see a new pool installed with out dated equipment.
Appreciate the insight -- Would a VS be a better option with a trichlor or not needed?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
I think it would be though you do need to run the pump at higher rpm to erode the tablets. But you do realize that trichlor is not a sustainable method of chlorinating, right? You can use it for a short time but then will need to change to liquid chlorine added daily to the pool. Or start with a SWCG, which is by far the best method of chlorinating, especially in your climate.

tclary47

Aug 15, 2020
Austin, TX
I think it would be though you do need to run the pump at higher rpm to erode the tablets. But you do realize that trichlor is not a sustainable method of chlorinating, right? You can use it for a short time but then will need to change to liquid chlorine added daily to the pool. Or start with a SWCG, which is by far the best method of chlorinating, especially in your climate.
Yea we decided against the cost of SWCG - one of the decisions still being made is to be liquid or tablet chlorine.

Any thoughts on the total cost for the project? seems fair?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Total cost is really dependent on your area. Even where in a city you live. Seems OK, but I have no knowledge of pricing in your area.

Have the plumber leave a span of 24" of straight pipe after the heater so you can install the SWCG later.