TA Test...

Zip S.

May 1, 2019
Mo
I just ran the TA test. Immediately had an issue. Put first 2 drops in. Swirled.. Added the green 5 drops next. Taylor Test Kit says test sample should be green now.
It's RED immediately! Tried it twice. Figured I'd just stop and ask...or it would take the whole bottle of the 3rd drops......Any ideas here?

From the Extended Test Directions - Pool School:

If the sample turns red, pink, or yellow, you are done, your TA is zero, and your PH is very very low (4.5 or lower).

Ok...yes ph is very yellow.
Yes using correct bottles. Didn't even bother with the 3rd one..
No....no heater.
Ok I can get baking soda in promptly. And that will....pull up ph and....affect the TA how?
Yes I read everything....more than twice. Still not grasping it all.
Never was very good in chemistry in school either. Everything has so many other things that effect it...I don't see how it all goes together yet. Thanks. Will get on B Soda promptly.

Work your TA up. The ph will come up some too. Aim for TA of 70 ppm. Assume you have 0 now and target 30. Keep adding and testing based on that until you get 30 ppm. Test pH then. Then add and test to get to 70 ppm.

If pH still under 6.8, we can discuss adding borax.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After all this - determine how your pH and TA dropped like that. Do you use trichlor to chlorinate?

Have you tested your CYA? You may need to do a large water exchange to lower that. You want your CYA around 50 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.