SWGs for large pools

CoyoteVB

Jun 24, 2020
Loomis, CA
I have a 48k gallon pool in Central California. The chlorine demand can be high during the hot (100+) summer months. I am considering converting to salt. My ROI could be around 2 years based on buying both 3" tablets and granular chlorine. I have read suggestions that a SWG system should be able to handle twice your pool volume so it does not have to run full time. Looking at the RJ60 but not sure if it will keep up during the summer. So I got the idea of running 2 SWG in parallel? Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Not many brands can run in parallel with automation. If you dont have automation you can still run parallel leaving one 100% of time running and use the other one to regulate demand.

Howdy Coyote!
Welcome to the club. I'm just down the street from you..if you can call SCB down the street. An RJ-60 will probably handle it. The ratings on SWG systems are as if they are running 100% for 24 hours. How long to you run your current pump? Another way to look at it is to consider how much chlorine you need to create for your pool. And you can use the PoolMath app to give you an idea and simulate the output for your pool volume.

I'll see if I can find that recent thread that discussed running SWG cells in tandem. There are lots of them on forum that discuss the topic.
This was a recent thread
and this is from the wiki

Calling in @ajw22 and @JamesW for their input

Last edited:
Before we have suggestions we need to know about your pool equipment and setup. Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Running SWGs in parallel will require higher flow rates then running in series.

You can run one RJ60 at close to 100% or two of them at around 40+%. Same thing.

Thank you. I added a signature and will update after I complete my major retrofit. In summary, my current system is 20+ years old. I have a 48k gallon plaster pool with a surface area of around 1,200 square feet. Pool was replastered in 2016. I am in the process of brining the electrical up to current code. Replacing an old Sta-Rite cartridge filter with a new Pentair Sta-Rite System:3 Modular Media Cartridge Filter 500 sq. ft. S8M500 filter. I have a Polaris 390 pool sweep with booster pump. I have a newer Hayward 2hp 2 speed pump that I will keep until it is time to replace. The pool is pumped with 2" from the 3 skimmers and bottom drain. The return lines are 1 1/2" I am adding about 900 square feet of solar heating I am planning on adding either Intermatic Multiwave or Pentair EasyTouch PL 4. My automation needs are minimal. I am also considering switching to SWG. I spend a lot of money on both tablet and granular chlorine especially in the hotter summer months. Pools water typically stays balanced very well. Maybe, due to the size. I hope this helps. Nice to meet everyone and appreciate both positive and negative feedback.

Ok, I purchases the Circupool RJ-60 plus. I am hoping it will keep up most of the swim season. My plan is to re-install my pentair puck chlorinator after the SWG. If I need additional chlorine during high demand periods, I can activate it. A lot cheaper than adding multiple SWG. My only concern would be back flow flow from the chlorinator if the pumps are not running. Plan to address that concern with a back flow preventer between the SWG and puck chlorinator. Any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.