SWG upgrade path?

Abarbaccia

Aug 7, 2022
New Jersey
I have an older set of equipment (1990s I believe). Single speed Hayward pump, gas heater, DE filter, Jandy automation.

It all works, so not trying to just spend money for no reason. But know I’ll move to new equipment once something breaks (VS pump, etc).

What’s the best path to add in SWG? Is there any real benefit from having it in a more integrated system (like pentair), and should start moving equipment in that direction? Or do most set it up independent?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

What specific Jandy automation do you have?

You have a pool only or pool & spa?

The automation you have or want drives what equipment can be compatible.

How do you want your pool to work when the upgrades are complete?

Thanks. The Jandy automation is very old. It’s a very legacy RS4 I believe. Can confirm this weekend.

It’s a pool only. It had a Polaris but I disconnected the booster pump and started using a robot cleaner, which seems to work better although do wish it was a bit more convenient. We also have a gas heater. Works fine. And lights in the pool. There is a unit inside the house to control the pool , which is convenient and would want to keep.

Goals:
- near term, I want to upgrade to a SWG for better water feel and chlorine consistency.
- down the road I expect I will need to replace the pump with a VS model
- it would be nice to have visibility to the pool chemistry levels. Specially chlorine and pH.

I guess my specific questions are things like:
- Is there a benefit of having the SWG “talk” to the VS pump? Assume they need to be the same brand to accomplish this
- I see some SWG have ORP probes (the Jandy one does not). Do these units then adjust output to meet the water needs? That sounds really helpful. Also , do they actually work? :)

Thanks for the quick reply. Appreciate this community.

near term, I want to upgrade to a SWG for better water feel and chlorine consistency.

That is the easy part.

- down the road I expect I will need to replace the pump with a VS model

Now we need to determine if the VS will be standalone or be able to communicate with the Aqualink and SWG?
- it would be nice to have visibility to the pool chemistry levels. Specially chlorine and pH.

That is the Holy Grail that no system can do reliably.

- Is there a benefit of having the SWG “talk” to the VS pump? Assume they need to be the same brand to accomplish this

The SWG has to talk to the pump directly or through the automation to ensure the SWG is only powered when the pump is running. Or you need to put the SWG on a timer.

- I see some SWG have ORP probes (the Jandy one does not). Do these units then adjust output to meet the water needs? That sounds really helpful. Also , do they actually work? :)
ORP control is complex and not very reliable. We do not recommend it for mere mortals.

The Aqualink is Rev GG.. expecting it is NOT able to control the VS pump given age of unit.

Rev GG is from 1997.

You do not have support for controlling VS pumps or the Jandy Aquapure SWG.

Consider getting a Sutro. It floats in the pool and gives you chemical readings back to an app, it measures FC, alkalinity and pH. I find that my test kit are very close to Sutro - enough so that I keep an eye on the Sutro during the week and only do drop tests once a week.

Reactions: Abarbaccia
Thanks again. Not surprised :)

Knowing I have all this legacy equipment but basic needs, what do you feel is the best upgrade path?

I hear people say pentair is the best system. Should I take steps to move towards a pentair system? Eg move to pentair swg and wire to pump relay for now. And when pump dies scrap the jandy and move to pentair pump and controller? Feel like I’d need to buy the swg power brick and later try to sell it.

Alternatively I can upgrade the jandy guts and adopt their swg.

Or do I just say leave it , the integration isn’t that useful. And just hook up any third party unit that is well reviewed.

Thanks for sharing all your insights here.

Start with the end in mind. Depends where you want to end up.

Over the last 20 years I evolved my pool equipment to all Pentair. I had an old Aqualink system like yours and ran an IntelliChlor SWG for a few years and an IntelliFlo VS pump for a year before I replaced the Aqualink this year with an IntelliCenter.

I do not like a Jandy equipment or their business policies towards DIY consumers and warranty and support. Pentair is far from perfect but the best among the big 3 pool equipment companies in my opinion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have your old pentair power center lying around? That’s the one part that seems to be scrapped, if doing a step by step upgrade path.

Yup, I do. It is yours for $50 + shipping if you want it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.