SWG only powering on with one pump? Intellicenter

QC Pool Dreams

Sep 23, 2019
Queen Creek, Az
Hi All,

I am having a weird issue that I might know the issue but dont know the solution or if there is one?

I just recently switched over to Salt after the first 30days on our new build but have been having problems keeping any chlorine in the pool. At first I thought it was a chemistry issue but I eliminated that option once I get everything else right in the ideal balance. Then I thought the issue was the %'s and number of hours I was running the pumps but that didnt fix it either. I have two pumps, high speed that I run the spa and pool (when vacuum cleaning) and one low speed that I run the rest of time (ideally) for the SWG that run for 10hrs in total. I started at 25% and 2% and have now adjusted it all the way up to 50% and 5% for the pool and spa respectively.

Finally today I realized what was causing the issue, probably should have looked at this sooner but I assumed it was fine and was wrong! Today I noticed that when my schedule switches from the "Pool" setting on the high speed, over to the "low speed" which is VS pump, the SWG shuts off, no lights no power! I thought at first it was a RPM problem so I dialed it up little by little and nothing! I tried the opposite with the high speed pump on, dialing it down in RPM and it works just fine! Ex: High speed pump at 1700 RPM all lights green, 1700 RPM on VS pump, nothing.

Where I think I might know the problem but not the solution is that the SWG is powered on by whatever is connected to the 'Filteration' port electronically which is the high speed, but does not power on with the VS because it is in Aux 3 or some other position on the Intellicenter panel. I tried changing the schedule to 'run' the high speed for the whole duration on both schedules, but then also set an overlapping schedule with the VS to keep the power on but hopefully default to only the VS pump running but to my surprise, both are now running! Typically if the high speed is running and I try to switch the the low speed it will shut off the high speed and make the switch, and vise versa, they wont run together. However when they are both scheduled at the same time, they are actually both running together! :(

Anyone know how I can get the SWG to power on with both pumps?

To the chemistry point - the chlorine was low because the SWG had only been running 3hrs a day, not 10 like I had thought! I can manually ramp the RPMs up and down on the high speed pump everyday and keep the SWG going but that would not be ideal obviously.

QC

Your SWCG is (should be) controlled by the pump/filter relay. If you are not in the pool or spa mode the pump/filter relay will not close.

The simple way to solve the problem is to not shut off the "Pool' Circuit and then turn on the "high and /or the low speed" circuits.

When the pump sees two speeds, it will run the faster one..

As an example.. If Pool is set to run from 8 am until 8 pm at 1200 RPM and you have a Circuit "High Speed" scheduled to run from 10 am until 1 pm at 2000. The the pump will run at 1200 RPM until 10 am when it will increase to 2000 RPM until 1 pm when the speed will go back to 1200..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: QC Pool Dreams
QC

Your SWCG is (should be) controlled by the pump/filter relay. If you are not in the pool or spa mode the pump/filter relay will not close.

The simple way to solve the problem is to not shut off the "Pool' Circuit and then turn on the "high and /or the low speed" circuits.

When the pump sees two speeds, it will run the faster one..

As an example.. If Pool is set to run from 8 am until 8 pm at 1200 RPM and you have a Circuit "High Speed" scheduled to run from 10 am until 1 pm at 2000. The the pump will run at 1200 RPM until 10 am when it will increase to 2000 RPM until 1 pm when the speed will go back to 1200..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Okay so maybe I had it backwards and my labels are just off? Sounds like the solution I was trying was 'right-ish' in that the Pool circuit needs to stay on like I did but I didnt set up the schedule right because it was running the higher speed all day.

What I had before (after trying to fix my problem):
  • Spa - 7:00 to 7:15am
  • Pool - 7:15 to 5pm (2800 RPM)
  • Low Speed - 10am - 5pm (1700 RPM)
What it sounds like it should have been:
  • Spa - 7:00 to 7:15am
  • Pool - 7:15am - 5pm (1700 RPM)
  • Low Speed - 7:15am - 10am (2800 RPM)
So my labeling in the app is off but that is an easy fix. What I needed to do, rather than run the high RPM all day with an overlapping lower RPM, I need to run a low RPM with an overlapping higher RPM for the cleaning time needed? Hopefully I'm understanding this correctly!

Thank you Jim!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.