SWG install tomorrow

A thermocline is the boundary between a layer of colder water that can settle at the bottom. I just looked closer at your sig.. you have an above ground pool, so I'm not sure you would get much of one, but maybe you do with winter freeze temps. I only get 2 or three nights (not even a full day) of below freezing temps.

The point I was trying to make is I find it unnecessary to run my pump all the time in the winter or even in the summer. I run it long enough to generate the daily FC requirement. If my pool conditions change, ie bather load, temp, etc I adjust the the FC output usually by tweaking the % knob. If I have the % knob cranked to 100% then the only way to adjust the FC production is with run time. So I find it easier to start with a target of 50% on the SWG... find the runtime that makes the amount of FC I need. Then if I need to tweak it, all I have to do is turn the knob up or down instead of cursing at the "dammits". ;)

In the winter everything goes dormant biologically for the most part, so I don't see the point in running the pump at all except to stir things around a bit, and once a week seems to be enough. And since I am adding liquid Cl in the winter, if I don't run the pump while doing that it just sits on the bottom.
I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Tracey R
So I find it easier to start with a target of 50% on the SWG... find the runtime that makes the amount of FC I need.
That sound good with a mechanical timmer which i dont have, that is why i like it the other way around. Both ways work, the important thing is that you understand it, which i think you do!

Reactions: Tracey R
Yes I do. Thanks! However I'm thinking with my warranty on the SWG on run time hours, I think I will up my % and lessen the run time. At least during the winter. Since I started it all up on Sat I tested this morning. My FC was a little high at 8.5 but that just means I'll lessen over night hours.

Does the ratio between run time and % remain? Meaning my SWG is at 75%. My run time is 12 hours currently broken into 6 hours day & night.

So if I lessen run time to 6 hours total and leave the % the same, should my FC drop to 1/2 also?

The SWG records generating time, not pump run time.

Your generating time is the same, and chlorine output is the same, if you run it for 100% for 3 hours or 25% for 12 hours.

All is true but I think with the same settings when the water gets cooler may give a higer FC output as demand changes a bit.

Water gets cooler as the days get shorter. Shorter and cooler days have a lower sun angle and less UV intensity. Less UV intensity consumes less FC daily.

You don’t get higher FC output. You get same FC output and less FC loss.

That lets you turn down the SWG % in the fall and be able to maintain same FC level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.