SWG for Pool in a desert climate

I listed the pool equipment as you suggested. Would you mind taking a look? It's in one of my other comments in this thread. Thank you!
I asked for a list of equipment, etc so one of our Hayward experts could chime in.

Does the above sound right -- delaying the install of the salt system?
The SWG can be installed - BUT no salt is added and the SWG isn't started up until at least 30 days after pool startup. Your builder is requiring 45 days - which is fine as well.

He is also suggesting we have our concrete pool coping done by the people who are doing our concrete walkways "so they'll match" but then goes on to say - "Just be advised that concrete coping and salt pools aren’t the best combination"
Are you doing a separate coping and decking or a cantilevered deck?
Ask him why "... concrete coping and salt pools aren't the best combination"
He doesn't know that every chlorine pool is a salt pool. See my comment below.....
Does he have a pool? Ask him to measure the salt content of his pool with a drop based salt test kit (K-1766) and report back to you with the result.

Considering an Owner Build ---
Well, since he basically refuses to do SWG, I guess he's out.
I guess he doesn't know that EVERY chlorine pool is a salt pool. Chlorine, muriatic acid, and pool users will add salt to the pool water. After a few years, the salt will build up and the concentration will be close to or above that recommended for a pool with a SWG.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Automation and salt systems are touchy and their performance is critical. A malfunction could damage the pool and warranty issues could get messy.

That’s an absolutely laughable statement. There is nothing “touchy” or “critical” about automation and SWGs. That line is written entirely to make them sound like they “know something” you don’t and that they’re experts and if you “force them” to install an SWG then they’ll need to “bring in their big guns” or else your house might implode and the resulting black hole will swallow up the known universe …

At the end of the day you need to learn this lesson about dealing with pool builders -

You are there to tell them to build the pool YOU WANT, not the pool they only know how to build. They are NOT there to tell you what you want. They are there to bid the project and get you what you want. It is YOUR home, YOUR pool, and YOUR money, not theirs. If they think they deserve to have any other relationship with you than that, then they are wrong.

As for concrete and salt water pools - if you spec the concrete properly and you require that the mix be compatible with a saline environment (they do know, in all their infinite knowledge that there are different types of concrete one can spec and order … right?), then it makes absolutely no difference.

Be careful fellow Tucsonan, everything these guys have said to you is one hard-sell and scare-tactic after another. A real contractor works FOR his customer, not AGAINST them.

The PB has finally spec'd a salt system for our pool, specifically, the Hayward AquaRite T15 Salt Cell ($1,500.) He said as a result, we'd need to delay installing the salt system:

Does the above sound right -- delaying the install of the salt system?

The salt system can and should be installed during the build.

The actual adding salt to the pool and turning the SWG on needs to wait for 30 days after the water is added.

When Should Salt be Added? In our industry, there seems to be some consensus to wait 30 days before adding salt to new plaster pools, yet some say it is okay to add salt within a couple of days of filling the pool. Who is right? This thread describes why it appears that the recommendation to wait 30 days before adding any salt is appropriate for most plaster pools, including quartz and pebble pools.

Install Omni PL Automation with Built-in Wi-Fi and Smart Device Control $3,490

Considering he's been against installing a SWG, what are your thoughts about the Hayward system he spec'd? Is the AquaRite T15 a solid choice for our particular build?

The OmniPL is a good system and Hayward sells it bundled with the T15 cell.

Over the weekend, we spoke with a guy who acts as a GC on a pool build for a flat fee, helping you hire all the subs and get through the permitting process. We had hoped he might be a good alternative as he positions himself as someone who can help you "get the pool you want for less". Ironically, the first thing out of his mouth was, "If you want a salt system, I can't help you." He went on to talk about how bad salt is, corrosion issues, etc but was happy to pitch us a non-salt system and in-floor cleaners that he admittedly would make a commission on. I have NO issues with someone making a living, I just found it hilarious because he turned out to be no different than the traditional pool companies.

This guy who acts as a GC is a Pool Builder in disguise. He is doing the same work as your PB without taking the risks or warrantying any work.

Over the weekend, we spoke with a guy who acts as a GC on a pool build for a flat fee, helping you hire all the subs and get through the permitting process. We had hoped he might be a good alternative as he positions himself as someone who can help you "get the pool you want for less". Ironically, the first thing out of his mouth was, "If you want a salt system, I can't help you." He went on to talk about how bad salt is, corrosion issues, etc but was happy to pitch us a non-salt system and in-floor cleaners that he admittedly would make a commission on. I have NO issues with someone making a living, I just found it hilarious because he turned out to be no different than the traditional pool companies.

Well sorry about that referral. I’ve seen that guys truck all over Tucson and the way it is advertised is that they help OB’s build their pools. The advertising made it sound like they do or help with the design and permitting work and then send you off with a list of subs and help out when you get in a jam. But that doesn’t seem to be the case and I agree with @ajw22 that it appears the person wants to be a “consultative GC” without any responsibility or warranty for the pool or the work being done. Not that pool builder warranties or service after buildings all that great anyway but that person definitely sounds sketchy. I’d bet if push came to shove and something bad went down with a sub, that guy would leave you high and dry.

Thanks for checking in with them, now we all that they’re not worth recommending to anyone.

Well sorry about that referral. I’ve seen that guys truck all over Tucson and the way it is advertised is that they help OB’s build their pools. The advertising made it sound like they do or help with the design and permitting work and then send you off with a list of subs and help out when you get in a jam. But that doesn’t seem to be the case and I agree with @ajw22 that it appears the person wants to be a “consultative GC” without any responsibility or warranty for the pool or the work being done. Not that pool builder warranties or service after buildings all that great anyway but that person definitely sounds sketchy. I’d bet if push came to shove and something bad went down with a sub, that guy would leave you high and dry.

Thanks for checking in with them, now we all that they’re not worth recommending to anyone.
I hope I didn't cause offense. I sincerely appreciated the suggestion. I put no blame on you for the outcome. It was worth a shot!

And I agree about the "high and dry". One other comment he made was that he didn't want to get sued over problems with a salt system.

I hope I didn't cause offense. I sincerely appreciated the suggestion. I put no blame on you for the outcome. It was worth a shot!

And I agree about the "high and dry". One other comment he made was that he didn't want to get sued over problems with a salt system.

No offense taken. Honestly had my hopes up that there was a decent resource for OB builds in Tucson. You can still OB a pool here but you’re basically stuck doing all the leg work yourself. Half the battle is just tracking down decent subs that are willing to return a phone call. As we DM’d, Tucson is a very difficult place to find contractors that have any sense of customer service/relations. They all just want to get paid for showing up whenever they want, doing a half-way job, and then calling it quitting time when the clock strikes 3pm.

• Love
Reactions: LifeInTheDesert
Thanks for your response. Regarding the OmniPL and T15 bundle, do you have any idea how much the bundle costs? Our PB is quoting them separately ($1500 for the T15 and $3490 for the OmniPL). I may be missing it but I don't see the bundle on the Hayward site.

HLBPLUS4W comes bundled with a TCell940 for pools up to 40,000 gallons.

I see online prices of $3,500 to $4,000. $5,000 with installation is not outrageous.

1699908670455.png

• Love
Reactions: LifeInTheDesert
We’ve had a AquaRite SWCG since early 2004. The main board has been replaced once, the flow sensor has been replaced once, and the T15 cells (genuine Hayward, not aftermarket) have been lasting about 7 years. That’s it; not bad for 20 years. 👍

Last edited:
We’ve had a AquaRite SWCG since early 2004. The main board has been replaced once, the flow sensor has been replaced once, and the T15 cells have been lasting about 7 years. That’s it; not bad for 20 years. 👍

But … but … but … your PB needed an MIT grad in nuclear physics to set it up correctly because they’re “tricky” and “temperamental” … and stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But … but … but … your PB needed an MIT grad in nuclear physics to set it up correctly because they’re “tricky” and “temperamental” … and stuff.

Well, we did have to consult the engineers at the nearby NASA facility to assure proper installation and setup. 😁👍

• Love
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.