Apr 13, 2018
Houston, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Am considering the switch to SWG; our system is all Pentair. Does anyone in Houston (west side) have a good reference for an installer? My original pool builder is super slow to respond. Considering DYI, but would like to get a couple of bids anyway. thanks.

I do not have any references, but with you already having the EasyTouch, I think the DIY is really only the plumbing, plugging a few things in, and setting up the controller.

I would guess that an installed price is probably about 3x what you can buy the parts for online.

researching this some today, it appears there is an EasyTouch that already has the transformer needed to run the IntelliChlor unit; Since we didn't start with the SWG, I'm guessing my EasyTouch doesn't have the transformer installed, so would have to buy the power pack as well. The plumbing part of the install doesn't bother me; the electrical is something beyond my comfort zone.

I am not as familiar with the Pentair automation as the Hayward. All Hayward Pro-Logic systems have the SWG controls built-in, so literally just have to plug the SWG cell and flow switch in. I was not aware that Pentair may not include the transformer in the EasyTouch ... although I would guess that it would be pretty easy to add-on if needed.

In researching the pentair SWG cells, and reading on this forum, I see that the TFP recommendation would be for a cell of 2x my pool capacity. For Pentair, their IC20 is good for a 20K pool, so would seem to be the one to go with...however, when I look at prices online, I see that the IC40 (for 40K pool) is only a few dollars more than the IC20 (and actually cheaper on Amazon). Would there be any benefit to going with the IC40 on my relatively small pool?

Reading through the forum, I'm seeing that there are multiple brands of SWG's out there. Given that my system is only ~1 year old, and is all Pentair, I had assumed Pentair is the best option to integrate with my system (including EasyTouch). Now I'm wondering if there are other SWG systems I should consider that would also integrate with my Pentair controls?

I am pulling the trigger on install of the Pentair IC40 plus power pack; I found an installer that has provided a reasonable bid that will include the Pentair warranty as well as their own warranty, so I'm going that route. We are deferring the install until July due to my travel, so I'm considering a few things in advance of the install.

1) We'll be traveling so I was planning to use liquid chlorine to take the pool to Slam level when we leave, then load up the pucks in the feeder for the 2-3 weeks we're gone.

2) I'm seeing that SWG CYA level is recommended to be 70-80; I'm currently at 50, so using the pucks seems like it will serve the double purpose of keeping the pool sanitized while gone as well as raise CYA to salt levels.

3) I've tested the water for salt and am at 800 PPM; what is the group's recommended level for salt with the SWG?

4) I also realized that my current puck bucket is Clorox blue...having read more on the forum, should I be concerned about copper as I move toward conversion? Unfortunately, this is a relatively full bucket, but I don't want to create problems as we convert.

thanks for the input.

We would not recommend the continued use of those trichlor/copper pucks. You may be OK, but hard to know.

Add about 80% of the salt your salinity test and PoolMath recommends to get to 3200. After that mixes in for 24 hours test your salinity and bring to 3200ppm. Then see if the SWCG is happy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The installer is going to do the salt adds; I'll have them shoot a bit short and bring it up to level over the next few days.

anybody want some free pucks?

Current CH level is 270 and I'm seeing that CH for SWG is 350-450 range. is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to me bumping the CH up now (a month before the SWG install)?

4) I also realized that my current puck bucket is Clorox blue...having read more on the forum, should I be concerned about copper as I move toward conversion? Unfortunately, this is a relatively full bucket, but I don't want to create problems as we convert.

Props to my local Costco...after reading the forum comments about the Clorox Blue, I took the container back to Costco (opened but no pucks used) and they took 'em back no questions asked. I mentioned "my pool advisor says these are not good for my pool...."

With that done, what brand pucks are least offensive? I'm planning to load up the chlorinator while away for a few weeks, then when we return, the SWG install is scheduled.

Thanks @jblizzle ... that's what I had been using previously, but the Costco price lured me in on the Clorox... not knowing of the evils. I guess the good news is I'll load the chlorinator with the pucks while away, and it will help bump up my CYA for the SWG install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.