May 18, 2023
Austin TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

Like many I’m getting tired of adding liquid chlorine every day and considering converting to a SWG system. However, I’ve see many discussions for and against SWG if you have a lot of natural stone in and/or around the pool. Since every pool is different I thought I would get some informed opinion from y’all. I have natural stone coping, stone on our spa spillway, and a natural stone wall (with a waterfall feature that’s rarely used) which actual sits below the water line.

With that said, should I stay away from SWG, or is the doom and gloom of a SWG with natural stone overstated? Hard to tell what is hyperbole and what is really true some times.

Here are some photos for consideration. IMG_6454.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6455.jpeg
    IMG_6455.jpeg
    679.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6456.jpeg
    IMG_6456.jpeg
    688.3 KB · Views: 10
Just about all the pool chemicals you put in your pool add salt - muriatic acid, chlorine of any form except gas, calcium chloride, etc. - and the salt accumulates in your pool. In time you will have a "salt pool' whether you have a SWG or not.

How do you chlorinate your pool now?

Salt and SWG's is a convenient excuse builder use for the deterioration of low quality stone.

Do you think pool owners without a SWG have no stone problems?

Reactions: markayash
The grand canyon was carved with freshwater. Stone that will erode from moisture will do so whether the salinity content is 5% of seawater, or 10%. That's your 2 basic levels for pools. 'Salt water' is only 10% of the real salt water.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.